Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,224,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
How do you explain the fact that all Chinese were expelled from Tacoma, WA on Nov. 3 1885. Blacks were not. There were black miners in WA at the time. They were not treated like princes of course, but they were largely tolerated.
How do you explain the fact that Chinese People always went to segregated white schools, universities, and public places in Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi long before integration happened? They were actually considered white.

The generation that grew up during segregation is still living. People remember when they were white.

No they were NOT subject to the same discrimination as black people. That's not something that happened to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 04:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
How do you explain the fact that Chinese People always went to segregated white schools, universities, and public places in Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi long before integration happened? They were actually considered white.

The generation that grew up during segregation is still living. People remember when they were white.

No they were NOT subject to the same discrimination as black people. That's not something that happened to them.
You ignored my question, so I'll ignore yours as well.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
I would also take opportunity to point out that the discrimination against Asians in college admissions has been going on for a very long time:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2009/...an-thernstrom/

Quote:
My wife, Abigail, appeared on Crossfire many years ago and was asked by liberal co-host Bob Beckel whether she would “like to see UCLA Law School 80 percent Asian.” In a 1995 interview, President Clinton said that “there are universities in California that could fill their entire freshman classes with nothing but Asian Americans.” In 1998, a writer for Newsday asked, “Since Asians outscore everyone, would we accept an all-Asian class?”

Nasty stuff, and not aberrational.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:30 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,224,593 times
The new fake minority groups that we have today are inventing victim narratives that never actually happened to them and using it to make political claims. "We were more discriminated than blacks, why are they complaining?"

Totally made up stories. In the context of the segregated south, all of these groups (Mexicans, Chinese, Arabs, etc) used to scream that they were white. Fought legal battles to be white, and were never politically allied with blacks or the civil rights movement.

Now that the political climate is different, and it's beneficial to be a discriminated minority, they are fabricating histories of victimhood. Total bullsh*t stories! "Irish people were slaves!", "Mexicans were segregated with blacks!", "Asians were the were the most discriminated group in history!". Complete lies.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:37 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Oh boy. Yet another bunch of people trying to make Asian Americans into "racial mascots" to bash other groups.

Tired of the model minority label once again being touted here.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Using the term "Asian-Americans" as though it's analogous to "African-Americans" is either disingenuous or just ignorant, IMO. Obviously no group is a monolith, but African-American describes an ethnicity with a broadly shared history. The American experience of an emigrant Japanese physicist versus a Karen refugee versus a third-generation Chinese-American are quite wildly distinct.

There's quite a lot of assistance available for people who come with refugee status. Outside of those populations, the people coming from Asia to the US tend to be those who are pretty well equipped to take care of themselves, as that's who the US allows in.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Asians rarely complain about anything. Most of us just want a chance to work hard, and live a happy life. And I think that goes for most Americans.
OTOH, trying to paint Asian Americans as passive, uncomplaining people who don't take a stand when something goes bad is simply untrue. Like test Supreme Court cases, to name a few.

Wong Kim Ark vs. Arkansas established birthright citizenship which some of ya'll are trying to get rid of.

Lau vs. Nichols also established the right of children who are limited English proficiency to receive an education.

Korematsu vs. the United States challlenged the constitutionality of incarceration of Japanese Americans during WWII.

Asian Americans were also behind the establishment of ethnic studies courses in the 1960s as well.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
http://aaldef.org/TheAsianAmericanVote2016-AALDEF.pdf

As an Asian myself (albeit US born) with many black friends, I would beg to differ.... The major stereotype that I deal with is that I'm suppose to be super smart, which I am not, and others act like there is something wrong with me. A lot of the discrimination faced by a US born Asian is from the Asian community... nothing awful... but they act like I'm not Asian enough.
I see this tired meme a lot on City Data: Since we're supposedly economically successful, we're supposed to be model minorities and vote Republican, 'cause we just shut up and don't make waves. (rolls eyes)

Old 11-03-2018, 05:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
http://aaldef.org/TheAsianAmericanVote2016-AALDEF.pdf

As an Asian myself (albeit US born) with many black friends, I would beg to differ.... The major stereotype that I deal with is that I'm suppose to be super smart, which I am not, and others act like there is something wrong with me. A lot of the discrimination faced by a US born Asian is from the Asian community... nothing awful... but they act like I'm not Asian enough.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:17 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
They work hard and achieve so much. Asians don't tend to play the victim....
Asians have thicker skin? Watch this week's episode of Blue Bloods where the commissioner appoints an Asian American woman to be the top training officer. Us Asians don't let a little name-calling get us down. We refuse to be victims and would rather work two jobs than stay income-challenged and collecting government handouts. And we are able to live frugally in order to save our money. Better to have sensible long-term goals, than spend our money on bling and expensive hair weaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies