Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
RE: eliminating grades:
Who wants this? I've never seen this. Clearly something "the left" (your words) collectively wants would provide me with countless examples. Especially where I live in CA.

The latter has not actually eliminated real trophies.

Simply googe "eliminating letter grades" and view the hundreds of results.

This House bill on establishing letter grades for schools went along party lines, GOP for and Dems against.
https://chalkbeat.org/posts/detroit/...to-full-house/

"Partisan bickering dominated the Senate Education Committee Thursday as Democratic members attacked a bill filed by the panel’s Republican chairman that would require school campuses to receive A-through-F letter grades based on their academic performance."
https://www.statesman.com/news/20160...rading-schools

Yes I understand this is about letter grades for school performance not student performance but the same principle applies and there are lots of educators calling for elimination of grades for students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Simply googe "eliminating letter grades" and view the hundreds of results.

This House bill on establishing letter grades for schools went along party lines, GOP for and Dems against.
https://chalkbeat.org/posts/detroit/...to-full-house/

"Partisan bickering dominated the Senate Education Committee Thursday as Democratic members attacked a bill filed by the panel’s Republican chairman that would require school campuses to receive A-through-F letter grades based on their academic performance."
https://www.statesman.com/news/20160...rading-schools

Yes I understand this is about letter grades for school performance not student performance but the same principle applies and there are lots of educators calling for elimination of grades for students.
No, it's not the same principle because letter grades for schools are practically worthless and are easily manipulated.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
To me, “equal outcomes” means putting kids from a poor school district into a wealthier one, allowing Section 8 vouchers in upper class neighborhoods. One of our city council members even proposed that the city become more equal outcome focused. She said that those of you who own single family homes are priveleged. Thankfully, she is moving out of state but others on the council agree.

I grew up poor. We ate venison, bear, rabbit, duck, horse and had a vegetable garden. Thankfully, I had an academic aptitude so put myself through college. My two sisters, who had the same environment, didn’t. One is successfu, the other isn’t. Equal opportunities, u equal outcomes.

We all have gifts, I believe, and can use those gifts to further our advancement in life. If one chooses not to use those gifts then I don’t think society should ensure they receive the outcome they would have attained had they strived to succeed.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Are you counting "just wondering" as a question simply because you but a ? behind it?
Well, I am wondering. But not really a question for you, a question for me.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Insults will go a long way. your assuming even before I or anyone answers the question, which begs why should I answer when you did it for me??
Insult? I just admitted I was wrong about this. It was above a 6 year olds, intellect.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, I am wondering. But not really a question for you, a question for me.
So how many questions are in the OP?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
If you want a genuine honest answer, though. Why wouldn't I want to live in a utopic world? Why wouldn't I want a world free from hunger, murder, theft, greed, etc--all the terrible things that we humans foist on one another? Why wouldn't I want to live in a world where not only I never suffer, but neither does any of my fellow man?

Again, it's not realistic, and striving for equal opportunity is probably the best that we can do. But, perfect should never be the enemy of the good.

Personally, I have far more trouble of understanding the dog-eat-dog, every man for himself mentality.
Thanks... That is all I asked for.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It's funny when conservative Trumpsters create their own issue to get mad at people about.

No one advocates for equal "outcomes" only equal "opportunities."
Indeed.

It's actually pretty sick. They're so addicted to being outraged that they need to invent positions out of whole cloth and then falsely assign those positions to people they hate.

I can't even imagine being such an unhappy, miserable rage-addict that I need to invent things to be mad about. What a miserable existence.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, because, just to name one thing, trying to gut the ACA and potentially leave millions uninsured or underinsured with pre-existing conditions would certainly qualify as "pushing equal opportunity."

You think government intervention can quick fix it, or will the unintended consequences make it worse?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:18 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Question predicated on unproven assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies