Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
So public venues like Grocery Stores, Gyms, Restaurants, Shopping Malls aren't allowed to play music that they legally own?
Depends on their size, business type. why they use it, how they broadcast, etc, I see.

https://blog.dozmia.com/13-common-qu...or-businesses/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 01:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
No, it is NOT legally theirs to play whenever they like in a public arena, as was done here - there was another recent detailed thread dealing with this.

Educate yourself - artists retain creative rights to their work and ASCAP is very much on guard for illegal use of such work without permission or attribution. Sadly, it appears there was some kind of loophole here - I would not be happy with my lawyers if I were Axl Rose. Still, I'd think the creative property rights would still apply.

It appears Trump and his ilk didn't bother with obtaining any kinds of rights, which is both arrogant and stupid of them. Not surprising, though, considering that narcissists always think it's easier to just go right ahead and do as they wish and let someone else deal with the cosequences later.

It's clear Trump etc. once again showed no respect and in fact demonstrated absolute disdain for others' property, wishes, and rights.

Whattaguy, right, Trumpies?
Trump screws, rips off and attempts to stiff anyone and everyone out of what is theirs. Sue his big fat oversized pants off!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-04-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 02:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Went to three Trump rallies, Never heard the song.. never...

Old 11-04-2018, 02:08 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trump screws, rips off and attempts to stiff anyone and everyone of what is theirs. Sue his big fat oversized pants off!
The venue owns the license; but, Axl (and others) would rather whine about Trump because he's a "poopie-head".

Virtue signalling at its most pathetic.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The venue owns the license; but, Axl (and others) would rather whine about Trump because he's a "poopie-head".

Virtue signalling at its most pathetic.
Trump steals and always has.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
So public venues like Grocery Stores, Gyms, Restaurants, Shopping Malls aren't allowed to play music that they legally own?
Yep. Most chain groceries and shopping malls are aware of this and pay royalties or work out arrangements. All the places you list could be required to do the same. Obviously ASCAP is unlikely to go after a mom and pop restaurant, but others might be wise to use radio instead. We didn't think ASCAP would go after lots of tiny little dance clubs/groups, either, which typically meet in church basements, dance to recordings, and pay dues of a dollar a week - but they did, several years ago and sent us some pretty serious cease and desist or pay up letters.

Again, it's not physical ownership of a recording that counts, but the creative rights, which are NOT purchased by the owner of the recording but which remain with the artists/composers/performers.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Who cares?

Why libs think siding with rich celebrities who can cry in a bag of money is a winning strategy?

Old 11-04-2018, 02:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I don't know if the music is played at the rally by the venue or if it is the music that is played to greet Trump. I remember the latter was what Reagan did with Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" prior to Bruce asking not to use it. If it is before the rally starts, not much Axl can do about it legally.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:41 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Who cares?
Why libs think siding with rich celebrities who can cry in a bag of money is a winning strategy?
Oh my--I thought Trump was a rich celebrity. Guess he is just a middle class nobody.

Btw, who I admired and dislike has nothing to do with 'strategies,' as it appears yours do.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:44 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Yawn.

Daily "I Hate Trump" circle jerk.

And they complain about "nastiness".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies