Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

No. Both parties represent themselves. It is all about getting/keeping power and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. Both parties represent themselves. It is all about getting/keeping power and nothing else.
Lol... what does that even mean?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There's no evidence that the Keystone or other pipelines have polluted the water supply. Pipelines are the safest way to transport oil compared to putting them in rail cars or tanker trucks going 60 miles an hour where explosions can happen in accidents.

At least 10 or the 20 cities with the worst air quality in America are in liberal California, including smaller cities like Visalia, Porterville, Fresno, Bakersfield and San Bernardino. I live in Louisiana and none of our cities rank among the most polluted. Baton Rouge and its suburbs actually have very good tap water. Democrats are mostly obsessed about global warming, and hence want to destroy some of the industries like oil, gas, and coal which are some of the highest paying jobs for people without a college degree. In fact these jobs pay better than many jobs that typically do require a degree.

I'd say my friends who went to vocational school and into the plants here in Baton Rouge making $25 or $30 an hour with no student loan debt are smarter than those philosophy, sociology, women's studies, or communications graduates drowning in debt and making $10 an hour at Starbucks, hoping it they protest enough it will go up to $15......

And yes learning a skill like welding is far more useful than learning about bull crap like microaggressions, gender fluidity, structural racism, intersectional feminism, etc etc etc

I spoke specifically about environmental issues and healthcare not what people major in during college....

Louisiana has a lot of environmental issues. You don't hear about them because you are a conservative and you all aren't concerned with those sorts of things until a natural disaster occurs. Most of the issues in LA have to do with the GOP valuing industry over the health of its citizens. You have a lot of issues with industrial pollution/toxins in your water and chemical pollution from the energy sector that impacts the wetlands in your state (which is the reason why your water quality is bad) and the pollutants that companies are allowed to emit in that state.

For your information: Louisiana Wetlands at Risk

Toxic Tensions in the Heart of "Cancer Ally" - this is in Louisiana - it is a town with the highest rates of cancer in America based on chemical air pollutants

Best States for Natural Environment - note - Lousiana ranks 49th out of 50 states for "best natural environment" you suffer with a lot of industrial toxins in Louisiana and you should be concerned due to that. Look at the water quality index! It is ridiculous and that is something that impacts the health of every person in that state.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
While I can't argue about the Republican's role on environmental issues, let's not pretend that the democrats are any better. I have seen with my own eyes, the democrats approve a huge gated community right near Florida's wetlands. Environmentalists and residents who moved to the rural parts of the county to get away from the crowds fought the democrats against this, but the democrats simply had more money and the judges in their back pockets. Look up West Palm Beach, Minto West, if you don't believe me.

Democrats statewide are willing to place regulations on industries and have goals in regards to air pollutants and water pollutants - something that the GOP is not apt to do because they don't want businesses to lose money due to having to comply with those regulations and upgrade their systems.

See the link I posted above - FL actually has a good amount of liberal activists who've been successful on environmental issues and in putting the everglades back together. If this is an issue of importance to FL voters then it makes sense they'd support a Democrat who will look moreso at the environment versus the companies losing money.

I don't think they are perfect (the city I live in IMO is not great on environmental issues and we've been Dem controlled nearly my entire life). However, they have a better track record than the GOP on the environment and so for this issue, I support them more than the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies