Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:17 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

If you have solid credentials, references and a solid STEM resume and are working dead end pedestrian jobs scouring the internet for open positions for almost a year and are tired of it which political part is the best to vote for. I dont expect either one to "solve" my issues but since I am a voter I might as well vote in my own best interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:44 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Neither.

Sounds like you need to move or redo how you're searching.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Neither.

Sounds like you need to move or redo how you're searching.
Exactly!

Old 11-05-2018, 05:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Anyone working dead end pedestrian jobs in this economy doesn't have a solid STEM resume.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
stop looking to a politician to solve your problems

train or educate yourself in something else...politicians do NOT solve problems...ever...they create them

what are your solid credential in?? where do you live??

Old 11-05-2018, 05:43 AM

88,966 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Anyone working dead end pedestrian jobs in this economy doesn't have a solid STEM resume.
Yeah, something's wrong, there.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you have solid credentials, references and a solid STEM resume and are working dead end pedestrian jobs scouring the internet for open positions for almost a year and are tired of it which political part is the best to vote for. I dont expect either one to "solve" my issues but since I am a voter I might as well vote in my own best interests.

No one can help you there. If you have a STEM resume (with a degree) then you need to find a city that has lots of STEM jobs. Don't expect a politician to bring STEM work to some place that has no industry for it.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:45 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
As someone who is usually looking for people to fill technical positions I find it hard to believe someone with a solid STEM resume has trouble finding an excellent paying job.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Your post from another thread...
Quote:
Yes, I will agree that if someone is not even remotely qualified that creates issues. However, speaking for myself I have all the requisite STEM degrees from the best schools PE licenses, etc. My success rate of getting interviews and offers is low.

Looking back on my younger self I would never have imagined that by setting myself up with a top tier degree and all the certs would put me in a 1/100 position. I figured maybe 1/5.

Even still one position with 25 qualified are not good odds.
Why not enlist the aid of your alma mater's Center for Career Opportunities (or similar), or even better... reach out to some of your former STEM profs for referrals, etc. Networking makes a huge difference when searching for a job. Did you go to a big university? Or a small liberal arts school? Frequently, the top corporations hiring for STEM (more particularly, engineers, such as in your case) recruit from the big, highly ranked universities. I see that all the time.

Latest Top 10 Engineering Programs, by the way...
  • Stanford University.
  • University of California--Berkeley.
  • California Institute of Technology.
  • University of Michigan--Ann Arbor.
  • Carnegie Mellon University.
  • Purdue University--West Lafayette.
  • Georgia Institute of Technology.
  • University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign.
  • University of Southern California.
  • University of Texas--Austin

Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM

Ah... Here's part of the problem...
Quote:
Graduated from the colorado school of mines in chemical engineering, was unemployed for over a year after graduation. Got the pink slip this past January and still havent found a comperable engineering roll.

Just having a top tier degree is not really worth it, if they were so great employers would be falling over each other as soon as they saw that on my resume even if it was to leverage as a transferable skill set to something comparable ...... but they dont.
Small school, pretty low rank for engineering. Their Chemical Engineering program isn't even ranked.

Quote:
Colorado School of Mines is "ranked No. 43 in Undergraduate Engineering Schools."
Mines repeats as the top-ranked national university in the state of Colorado at No.80

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...of-mines-02030

You might find it tough to find a competitive job. Sorry.

YIKES! And it's costly, too.

https://finaid.mines.edu/cost-of-att...undergraduate/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies