Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:13 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times

Advertisements

Just got back from dropping off my mail-in ballot at a neighborhood polling place, in a conservative area of Sandy Eggo.

I've never seen such a long line on any election day. Not even a Presidential election. And today, no Presidential candidate is even on the ballot.

They're polite, friendly, and orderly. And they don't mind talking about how (and why) they're voting.

It's mostly either "I'm sick of the spectacle the Democrats have been making of themselves, disrupting everything in sight", or "Trump is a loudmouth, but at least he's getting things done that he promised. I want to support him." Plus a few "I could never vote for Trump", but they are rare.

Something's going on.

California is overwhelmingly loaded with liberals, of course. Feinstein will continue as senator, and Newsom will win for Governor.

But I wonder how many of the people I talked to, include a few former Democrats who have finally seen the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Thanks for taking the time to share

Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Lol at using biased anecdotal evidence

Old 11-06-2018, 09:55 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
TRANSLATION: I don't like this. Uh-oh.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Except the op noted it was anecdotal of just one neighborhood and therefore, not evidence of anything.

LOL at not understanding that.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Just got back from dropping off my mail-in ballot at a neighborhood polling place, in a conservative area of Sandy Eggo.

I've never seen such a long line on any election day. Not even a Presidential election. And today, no Presidential candidate is even on the ballot.

They're polite, friendly, and orderly. And they don't mind talking about how (and why) they're voting.

It's mostly either "I'm sick of the spectacle the Democrats have been making of themselves, disrupting everything in sight", or "Trump is a loudmouth, but at least he's getting things done that he promised. I want to support him." Plus a few "I could never vote for Trump", but they are rare.

Something's going on.

California is overwhelmingly loaded with liberals, of course. Feinstein will continue as senator, and Newsom will win for Governor.

But I wonder how many of the people I talked to, include a few former Democrats who have finally seen the light.
Cool story.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Although we are generally on opposite sides of the aisle, Roboteer, I extend my thanks to you and your neighbors for voting. It's important that we all participate in creating our nation's government. Peace be with you on this election day and in all the days to come.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:44 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Something's going on.

I could be wrong, but hasn't San Diego always been a conservative leaning town, anyhow?

That aside, I heard on NPR that voter turnout may be the largest for any midterm in recent history. Both sides are energized and want to give input with their vote. I think this surge in voter turnout is great. It means that the election results either way more truly represent the will of the people and not that of billionaire donors and corporations which have morphed into human beings.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Just because it is anecdotal evidence does not, in itself, mean it is biased. It is just that, anecdotal. Voting in my area of NC (which is conservative) is very heavy and the early voting was also heavy. What does that really mean? Guess we'll see tonight!

Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I could be wrong, but hasn't San Diego always been a conservative leaning town, anyhow?

That aside, I heard on NPR that voter turnout may be the largest for any midterm in recent history. Both sides are energized and want to give input with their vote. I think this surge in voter turnout is great. It means that the election results either way more truly represent the will of the people and not that of billionaire donors and corporations which have morphed into human beings.
Nicely said, Colorado Rambler. I agree. It's an exciting day. This may be the year that the Teflon-coated Republican representative from my district is unseated. I am honestly on tenterhooks waiting to see how this all turns out. People are pumped, and that's great, even if it doesn't work out the way I would prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies