Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,895,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ross Perot had it right way back in 1992..... why do we vote on a Tuesday when the elections could be moved to a weekend - let's have a two day vote, Saturday and Sunday so that people who work for a living, can get to the polls a lot easier. I tried to vote this morning before work. There was nowhere to park, there was a slow moving line of cars near the building. Wasn't happening being that I had to be in the office at 8:00 sharp this morning for a meeting. I'll have to vote tonight instead.

Tuesday voting is another symptom of the sickness that is our politics.

Sorry BearGeek40, but the Tuesday voting day has nothing to do with intentional efforts to sabotage your workweek. It has nothing to do with any of our schedules. Rather, it all goes back to the farmers, weather, and their lives many years ago. Long story short, Tuesday was a day of the week that nothing much was going on, no church, no market day, no particular family activity, nothing. The first week in November was selected because it was after harvest time and the weather wasn't too terrible so the farmers could still get out and vote before winter came in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 03:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,028,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not really.

A) Not every state has early voting, mail voting, etc. etc. I have two choices: show up in person, or request an absentee ballot. Requesting an absentee ballot requires forethought and logistics on my part - not only must I request the ballot a specified number of days ahead of time and return it by a specific date, but I also must supply a valid excuse to the county board of elections in order to qualify to vote absentee, and have a valid photo ID.
That would represent a massive failure on the part of your state legislators, who, if they have not adopted extended early voting for your state, could be classed as mental defectives. You'll want to get those clowns on the horn and ask why you don't have the option of early voting. The valid ID requirement is no impediment, obviously, since everyone either already has one or can get one at minimal cost. The "valid excuse" rule is something you'll want to bring up with your state legislators while you're reaming them out about not having extended early voting. As a practical matter...what business is it of your state why you want a mail-in ballot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl

B) Many polling places are in schools; school is out of session on Election Day in my district and in many others. Why not have it be a holiday for everyone?
Primarily because most, if not all states, require employers to make reasonable accommodations for their employees to vote on Election Day. Consequently, there is simply no necessity to create yet another federal holiday just for Election Day, considering that the case can be amply made that we have too many federal holidays as it is.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,112,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In modern times, the Democrats would likely love to have elections on Sunday to discourage Christians from voting, and the Republicans would like to have it on Friday to reduce working class participation.

I'm all for that. And we can use churches for voting precincts as we currently use schools (where educators lean Democrat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies