Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Having access to the White House is a privilege, not a right.
Let's wait and see what the lawsuits just filed say about that. There is such a thing as due process that wasn't followed for revoking passes and there has to be a reason other than Trump dictates it. I'm betting Jim will have his pass back soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Let's wait and see what the lawsuits just filed say about that. There is such a thing as due process that wasn't followed for revoking passes and there has to be a reason other than Trump dictates it. I'm betting Jim will have his pass back soon.
I agree with you here. Acosta will most likely be back soon, but will probably never be called upon to ask a question again.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Any half-assed, passive-aggressive apology by Acosta and CNN for getting "carried away" would have accomplished the same ends.

Now they are going to get spanked.... publicly.... again!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:04 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Actually the Freedom of the Press is a right. It is enshrined in the Constitution.
Yep.

Too bad for Acosta that the "freedom to ask questions of the President" is not.

He can write to him, send him emails and telegrams, all he wants, just like the rest of us can.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
I'm betting Jim will have his pass back soon.
He will. From Air America.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 AM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,990 times
Quote:
Actually the Freedom of the Press is a right. It is enshrined in the Constitution. And about a half-century ago, the DC Court of Appeals directed a requirement that the Secret Service set out specific safety-related guidelines concerning the issuance and revocation of these press passes in accordance with the 1st and 5th Amendments - guidelines that the Trump administration appear to have completely ignored in revoking Acosta's pass.

From a legal perspective, the argument "you have no right to a press pass" hold little weight. Personally, I think everyone involved - Acosta included - made asses of themselves, but CNN is on solid legal footing as far as I can see.

CNN can send a replacement, it's just this particular reported that is banned from the White House, he is still allowed to cover the White House.

I doubt he'll ever set foot in the WH again.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM

89,019 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Acosta uses physical force against a female intern to keep the mic AFTER Trump called on the next journalist, NBC's "Peter" Alexander. Acosta and CNN will lose the lawsuit.

C-SPAN video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZ8ck_7cqk

Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Actually the Freedom of the Press is a right. It is enshrined in the Constitution. And about a half-century ago, the DC Court of Appeals directed a requirement that the Secret Service set out specific safety-related guidelines concerning the issuance and revocation of these press passes in accordance with the 1st and 5th Amendments - guidelines that the Trump administration appear to have completely ignored in revoking Acosta's pass.

From a legal perspective, the argument "you have no right to a press pass" hold little weight. Personally, I think everyone involved - Acosta included - made asses of themselves, but CNN is on solid legal footing as far as I can see.
The right to tobacco has been a right since before the U.S. Constitution.

The Alcohol Tobacco and Firegrounds agency must conform to obvious rights.

Tobacco is merely a medicine for Anxiety Derangement Disorders.

I got my law degrees from books and movies.

I've studied the best legal arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVSohBg_yA

Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Acosta uses physical force against a female intern to keep the mic AFTER Trump called on the next journalist, NBC's "Peter" Alexander. Acosta and CNN will lose the lawsuit.

C-SPAN video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZ8ck_7cqk

I fail to see 'physical force'. Now Acosta should have sat down when Trump said no more questions from him, but there is no decorum in this WH.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I fail to see 'physical force'.
I agree. It seems like some people see what they want to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies