Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 06:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,596,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
OK, my last try. Karma is not mystics or magic. Again, Karma is the ancient science (not just a belief) of cause and effect. It is the irreversible principle of the whole universe. Many great thinkers and scientists of the world recognize it. Albert Einstein who knew objective laws of the universe much better than you was acknowledging it as well. Dalai Lama who is one of the great thinkers of our days has explained many times how this objective principle of the universe manages the whole cosmos including life on Earth.
Like it or not, understand it or not, but a country who is responsible for the death of some innocent people of another country for whatever reason, will get innocent victims in its own country.
Now, stop bickering back and forth with your annoying ignorant questions.
Karma is not a provable tangible thing. Like religion you are going to have to understand that some people simply do not believe what you believe, and you have to rely on your own faith alone to steel your resolve.

That said, ......
Did you literally just say that the people who died in California, at the hands of some despicable maniac, are dead because of the US government's karma from the middle east?

That sound severely disconnected from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:45 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,872,891 times
In one of the initial interviews one of the guys said it was a middle eastern guy with a beard not sure how, and the killer posted on Facebook during the killings that life was boring, and all people say after these things is thought and prayers he wasn't lying.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 AM

20,784 posts, read 9,417,330 times
Looks like this guy was a ticking time bomb even going back well before his days at duty in Afghanistan.

Bar gunman was ‘out of control’ in high school, coach says
Quote:
A second high school coach of the gunman who killed 12 people at a Southern California bar recalled him on Sunday as volatile and intimidating, and said that repeated complaints to school administrators about his behavior failed to prompt any discipline.

Evie Cluke coached Ian David Long on Newbury Park High School’s track team in 2007 and 2008. In an interview with The Associated Press, she said Long was a “ticking time bomb” who constantly lost his temper, threw tantrums and would scream at coaches when he didn’t like their decisions. She said she once witnessed him assault a fellow coach.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 AM

50,142 posts, read 46,774,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Too bad the shooter was white!! LMAO
How can anything about this mass shooting be funny?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM

34,698 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Looks like this guy was a ticking time bomb even going back well before his days at duty in Afghanistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City Star article quoted by James Bond
A second high school coach of the gunman who killed 12 people at a Southern California bar recalled him on Sunday as volatile and intimidating, and said that repeated complaints to school administrators about his behavior failed to prompt any discipline.

Evie Cluke coached Ian David Long on Newbury Park High School’s track team in 2007 and 2008. In an interview with The Associated Press, she said Long was a “ticking time bomb” who constantly lost his temper, threw tantrums and would scream at coaches when he didn’t like their decisions. She said she once witnessed him assault a fellow coach.
This article is a must read. Another snippet, quoting Evie Cluke, one of his coaches:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie Cluke, one of shooter's coaches, quoted in news article
It’s not the military or video games or music that causes this.... It’s the inaction of people in authority.
Evie Cluke says it all. It is easy to blame guns, media, video games, music or Donald Trump. The people involved must be dealt with before rather than after a tragedy.
[LEFT]
Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy
[/LEFT]

Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM

23,624 posts, read 13,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

We-ll...........

I remember back in high school, when I was trying to find my way, I was rather vicious, entwined with the evil Vincent Price flicks of a decade past.

FURTHER, I remember joking with my NROTC classmates about doing a shoot out with profs about them flunking us, with other classmates not helping us, and as one male classmate, "And you! You wouldn't go out on a date with me!" and winging her.

That's how we saw the world back then, so two things and one more.

First, obviously we aren't joking about that now.

Secondly, I suppose at some point we age out of such attitudes, whether it comes around when we are leading troops or that we learn certain facts. I remember a midshipman submarine simulator where we THOUGHT NOTHING of sinking a hospital ship so to get in position to sink a Soviet destroyer. So what primarily change my thinking about that? When I learned that one's POWs might be transported on hospital ships.

So when does our view of person change, when do we say well that was then but this is now? When others have looked at them for commissioning, clearances, licenses, and more and cleared them for such?

Or do we say never?

Finally, as I commented either here or another similar thread about how back then, one could pick up the Ranger handbook, with pages of how to use C-4, off the wall in the JROTC building and take it home. It was a different time.

SO, while we might say, he or she was a ticking time bomb and should have been picked up way back then, two things. Do we do that to everyone and brand them for life? How far back do we want to look?

Old 11-12-2018, 10:57 AM

29,405 posts, read 9,593,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They just made their own, or bought one from me.

I bet Sam Alito, John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh have a good handle on the text of the 2nd amendment.
Sure seems to me the people who claim to understand the constitution the best are typically civilians with no legal background whatsoever, forever going on about unconstitutional laws thoroughly vetted by our legal system and even despite what the Supreme Court deems otherwise.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,498,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sure seems to me the people who claim to understand the constitution the best are typically civilians with no legal background whatsoever, forever going on about unconstitutional laws thoroughly vetted by our legal system and even despite what the Supreme Court deems otherwise.
The Constitution was written in a way, so the average citizen could understand it though, they didnt intend for people to have legal backgrounds, in order to understand their rights.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM

19,470 posts, read 12,103,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This article is a must read. Another snippet, quoting Evie Cluke, one of his coaches:
Evie Cluke says it all. It is easy to blame guns, media, video games, music or Donald Trump. The people involved must be dealt with before rather than after a tragedy.
[LEFT]
Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy
[/LEFT]
This comes up with every mass shooter, but it never really picks up steam. It is easier to attach it to politics than to deal with the culture of how we raise kids and deal, or fail to, deal with their problems. No one wants the finger pointed directly at them. And how many people have "troubled" kids now who think their kid is just misunderstood and they blame the school if he or she isn't doing well. So the school props up the troubled kid to appease the parents. Or the school is just typical left wing I'm ok you're ok- kids make mistakes, and nothing happens.

Between all that dysfunction, delusion and failure to take responsibility by adults what chance does the kid have to get any real help early on when he needs it. I have had a front row seat to this kind of thing and it isn't pretty.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 AM

29,405 posts, read 9,593,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How many of that 400 just went back to that same store on a later day and bought the parts to complete at home. All legal too by the way. How come they weren't arrested since they had no business trying to buy one in the first place.
Hard to say how many people work their way around any law...

How many teenagers manage to buy smokes even if they are too young to do so legally? Does this mean we shouldn't have laws preventing minors from buying cigarettes or vendors from selling them to minors? Lots of people seem able to get their hands on cocaine too, so does the logic follow that cocaine should be made legal? How many people avoid paying taxes they should even though there are tax laws that say they must? This mean we shouldn't have tax laws?

There is no gun control measure that can effectively reduce gun violence to anyone's satisfaction. This is mostly because there are just too many guns all around in America, order-of-magnitude more per capita than anywhere else on the planet. That said, if there is the good evidence 400 people were prevented from buying guns as Rep. Jason Crow explains, because of their backgrounds, then why not background checks in general?

Though no one is stupid enough to argue there aren't ways to get around such laws and gun control efforts, I'd also like to think people like BentBow wouldn't just sell their guns to just anyone. All to say that if these laws do make it harder for ANY mental case to purchase a gun, then why not? Seems the sort of compromise and "sensible" gun control measure that everyone should be able to live with compared to others that are certainly incompatible with the 2A. Not to mention that most Americans favor background checks as a rule, for all sales of guns not just from licensed dealers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies