Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:27 AM

955 posts, read 744,247 times

Advertisements

The Dems defend no one, just power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 05:52 AM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Democrats support unions who look out for the middle class. Republicans have fought hard to get rid of unions which is also diminishing the middle class. Trump’s tax cuts should have been more for the middle class not the rich. Trickle down economy does not work.
Democrats pretend to support unions.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Yep. I lived in an at-one-time blue-collar neighborhood in Pittsburgh that saw an influx of hipster-yuppie types. The newcomers fought to have a local steel mill, one of the few remaining, shut down, and put 400 people out of work. Those people weren't Trump supporters, I assure you. Those people represent the modern Democrat party, if you ask me.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Probably because so few of them belong to the Middle Class anymore. Most of them are pretty rich. Sanders, Pelosi, Warren, Obama, etc.
To be fair most Republicans are not from the middle class, at least they are not anymore. It does show in some of their policies that seem out of touch. It does crack me up though how so many people scream in defense of Pelosi etc as the people looking out for the little guy when some of their "stated" beliefs hurt them.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
The GOP opposed the single biggest cash windfall to the middle class when Obama and the Dems tried to raise the OT threshold. Any salaried employee making more than $455/wk is exempt from being paid overtime. Raising that threshold would have generated more money for workers than anything coming out of tax cuts, immigration policy, or trade deals.

I'll going to keep bringing this up every time one of you nonsense Conservatives brings up the nonsense point that the GOP is pro-worker. I love how it shuts you all up.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Democrats, propelled by the Media have fully embraced Identity Politics, and abandoned the basic support of the hard working, American citizen. They promote divisiveness, and every Far Left cause and group now. It is FUNDAMENTAL TRANDFORMATION.
This is what it feels like to me. My folks now in their 60's are shocked at what the democratic party has become. I have heard the term identity politics used but was not sure, so I looked it up.

From the dictionary:
a tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this yet. Going to have to put some thought into it though.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Neither party gives a damn about the working man
I agree this is how it seems. I have to believe that at an individual level, some of them really do care about making a difference. At the overall party level, they divide to keep their donor base and power. It is sad because our country is going down the toilet because of this. I think term limits and campaign finance reform are part of the solution.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Democrats support unions who look out for the middle class. Republicans have fought hard to get rid of unions which is also diminishing the middle class. Trump’s tax cuts should have been more for the middle class not the rich. Trickle down economy does not work.
The unions have helped to eradicate middle-class American jobs by increasing wage and benefit demands above what the market was capable of handling. The reason that a percentage of American jobs that are unionized is very low today is that most of those jobs have been shipped overseas as a result of the high costs associated with unions.

Unions from the beginning were all about limiting the labor supply for a given industry, thus increasing the wages for the few who were allowed to participate in closed shops, and leaving all other American workers out.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
What was the middle class has mostly disappeared. Wage workers are now in the poverty class.
I mostly agree with this. The real question is why are the wages lower than they should be? It is a multi-pronged issue that the parties are not willing to come together to discuss. From my view this is especially true of the Democrats. They just want to take from hard working Americans and give to those who do not want to work as hard. An example is Alexandria Cortez has said she wants a living wage for all. This is simply not possible and definitely not sustainable long term. You at least cannot have a flourishing country ruled this way. Everywhere this has been tried, the country has ended up broke and the wealth concentrated in an EVEN SMALLER group of people.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Dems don't give a crap about the middle class blue collar workers, it's a shame you can't see that. The dems and the repubs are both beholden to huge corporate special interest.
Get rid of citizens united...oh wait. We just packed the SC with guys that will never do that.

The middle class is on it's last legs and these days there is no one looking out for us. We need to take it back and refuse the division that corporate America and both of it's media wings are trying to get us to live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies