Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should automotive racing be banned?
yes. 13 17.11%
no, continue the depredation of nature. 53 69.74%
other (please explain below) 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:21 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Stock car racing is the national sport and pastime in redneck country. Take it away and what would they have left for culture? High school football and catfishin' just wouldn't fill in the gap.
LOL you say that like it's a bad thing.
It involves alot of geometry, particularly for building an engine and roll cage.
Then there's setting up the suspension and alignment.

How many engines have you built?
How many roll cages have you fabricated out of steel pipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Stock car racing is the national sport and pastime in redneck country. Take it away and what would they have left for culture? High school football and catfishin' just wouldn't fill in the gap.
You really shouldn't hate people because they choose entertainment that is different from your choices.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You don't get to hear the roar of the engine with electric cars.

I have a co-worker and he bought an electric car last year and I get to hear him rant about it all the time.
True... but, electrics are wicked fast. I think it would be fun to watch, but yeah... you do miss out on the loud engines...

Positive note: no nasty emissions fumes and oily grit in the air.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Pets have a MUCH bigger environmental impact than auto racing or all of power sports combined.

Of course no one in Seattle has any pets, right? Liberals are mostly a F***ing bunch of hypocrites, trying to dictate other peoples behavior.

Last edited by Colorado^; 11-14-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 09:00 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Leonardo DiCaprio had a 400 foot yacht moved from the Med to Brazil to watch a soccer game. Said yacht gets ~50 feet to the gallon. One gallon puts out about 20 pounds of CO2. I will let you do the math from there. Dont forget the return trip.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Electric cars would be fun to watch.

Formula E is the electric car championship and the races are held in various cities and locations around the world.

Formula E - Wikipedia

Formula E

Electric motorsport - Wikipedia

Formula E: BBC to broadcast electric road races for first time - BBC Sport

Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
How about we just ban Leftism and Liberalism.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.

I think you are producing too much carbon dioxide and should be banned.

1. Global warming is a scam
2. we are entering a cold phase due to reduced sun spots
3. we NEED MORE CO2 for the environment; the death of the planet will eventually come from such a loss of CO2 far before the extinction of our sun
4. Carbon dioxide accounts of .004% of atmospheric gases
5. Carbon dioxide only absorbs infrared radiation over 3 microns of wavelength (heat is produced mostly by vibrational energy of molecules)
6. Water vapor, in addition to being the most common "greenhouse gas", absorbs infared energy over a 100 micron bandwidth- over 30 times that of CO2.
7. The temperature to which CO2 gases in the atmosphere would have to be heated to have a 1degree centigrade change in global temperatures exceeds 2,000 degrees centigrade.

Simply physics shows that the notion of CO2 induced "global warming" is lunacy. Only those who accepts pseudo-science as told by politicians and journalists fail to recognize this.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How about we just ban Leftism and Liberalism.
Youre playing right into the OP’s intentions....which is to create a further divide between the two parties.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think you are producing too much carbon dioxide and should be banned.

1. Global warming is a scam
2. we are entering a cold phase due to reduced sun spots
3. we NEED MORE CO2 for the environment; the death of the planet will eventually come from such a loss of CO2 far before the extinction of our sun
4. Carbon dioxide accounts of .004% of atmospheric gases
5. Carbon dioxide only absorbs infrared radiation over 3 microns of wavelength (heat is produced mostly by vibrational energy of molecules)
6. Water vapor, in addition to being the most common "greenhouse gas", absorbs infared energy over a 100 micron bandwidth- over 30 times that of CO2.
7. The temperature to which CO2 gases in the atmosphere would have to be heated to have a 1degree centigrade change in global temperatures exceeds 2,000 degrees centigrade.

Simply physics shows that the notion of CO2 induced "global warming" is lunacy. Only those who accepts pseudo-science as told by politicians and journalists fail to recognize this.
I mistakenly repped your BS - enjoy it.

BTW - water doesn’t re-emit infrared like CO2 does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies