Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should automotive racing be banned?
yes. 13 17.11%
no, continue the depredation of nature. 53 69.74%
other (please explain below) 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Why don't we ban every wealthy global warming activist from flying private jets, owning diesel guzzling yachts and mansions that have 20-50 times the carbon footprint of a typical home?

The top 1% have 80% of the wealth, they also use 80% of the energy.
No they don't. They have 40% of the wealth, and their energy use might be many times the average American's, but its certainly not significant enough to make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 02:56 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Something tells me the OP sees the world in terms of a hierarchy and wealthy globalists wants and needs are at the top while Trump loving race fans are down at the bottom and most expendable.
He's from Seattle so of course that's how he, and most other people in Seattle, see the world. If it's supported by liberals it's good, other wise it needs to be banned, no other thought required.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:57 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
[/b][/color]
Is it? Ever heard of Skype?
That idea is even better. Also saves the environment and keeps everyone safe because all of the leaders will be safe in their home countries and not have to worry about security detail and the threat of a terrorist attack.

I've been interested in using this technology for our education. If we had kids having to learn from teachers via the internet in the safety of their home instead of the classroom, I'd be all for it. Imagine the money parents would save in not having to buy new pencils and back packs, or worry about their kids falling in with the wrong crowd and getting hooked on drugs or getting pregnant or even attacked by some psycho. No worries about bullying and peer pressure, because all of those things seem to happen in the school years. And imagine the money the counties would save if they didn't have to pay for all of these teachers when one teacher via Skype, can reach out to thousands of students at one time.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:57 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
We'd be better off banning cattle and pigs. The contribute FAR more to warming than auto racing.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:01 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times
Yeah, I won’t be participating in this dumb ass poll...thread fail OP

Old 11-10-2018, 03:05 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Any expert on negotiating will tell you that skype is not the same as being there in person. These are literally life & death matters we're talking about. Car racing can only bring death, not life. Say, that's one more reason that we should ban it.
Um uh tell us travis t are you that type expert?

Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
I don't care for car races and don't understand why driving something is considered a sport, but I'd be OK with electric car races.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Lol, you should research how electricity is made, contained, transported, etc.
Nothing is perfect.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:15 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.
Gee almost as much as Al Gore and his 747 Jets.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:23 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
No one has yet even tried to explain why we need to have car racing. We don't. Comparing car racing to necessary activities such as travel, breathing(?) etc. is a false comparison.

World leaders flying internationally in private jets to negotiate on how to keep the world safe is unfortunately necessary. How is car racing necessary?
There's an old saying that is meant for whiny, ungrateful people -- 'You don't need anything except food, shelter, and water'.

Should we ban everything else (which might be consistent with following need) ?

Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies