Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 04:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
There is something called the Dunning-Kruger effect, look it up. You're under some mistaken sense of arrogance to think I have anything to prove to you, and waste my time. Are you paying me? I see you're not interested in the truth but just to revel in your own arrogance, so like a pig wallowing in mud, I'll let you to it.
LMAO

If you had just ONE case to prove me wrong, you'd post it. Instead, you just want to insult, insult, insult.

I'll take this and future replies by you accordingly.

Good day, sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We do??? Howdy neighbor! I have lived here, on and off all my life, and have never seen white supremacists, or Nazi's anywhere. I am not saying they don't exist, but they must be a very, very small minority. I just think people get too worked up over essentially a high school prank.
Yes, we do. We've discussed it in the past.

NE PA is a hotbed of white supremacist and Neo-Nazi activities.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
People are defending a group giving the salute that represents the most hate in the history of modern times as if it's a harmless prank. LOL only on the internet.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Seems to me they were trolling. Could be 4channers on their off time. Some people just like triggering leftists so they can laugh at the screaming and crying. What they don't realize is that they don't just scream and cry, they scream, cry and destroy. You gotta do that crap all anonymous like.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, we do. We've discussed it in the past.

NE PA is a hotbed of white supremacist and Neo-Nazi activities.
Sorry. I forgot, but I am in SE PA, but know Scranton/Wilkes Barre a bit. I didn't realize that. BTE, by Dad was a medical officer in the U.S. Army and took part in liberating the concentration camps, so I know a little bit about the Holocaust. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with that.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It's not a harmless prank. You know, how would you feel if it was your family who was dragged out of your home at gunpoint, your wife and children ripped away from you...you never saw any of them again. You find out later your wife was gassed and your kids had disgusting experiments performed on them. All by a weirdo, perverse group of people called Nazis who used this salute as a call to action, a sign of their devotion to their leader and their cause and even as a sign of greeting to other weirdo perverts.

You still think the sign is "harmless"?
I think the prank was closer to harmless than a felony..

If the prank was not harmless as you suggest, and i am not saying i disagree with you.. what should the punishment be? I suspect they get suspended from school and that's all. not sure the state or Attorney General would be pursuing any criminal charges..

Old 11-14-2018, 05:02 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
High school students photographed doing Nazi-type salute at prom

How do they know they weren't mimicking Spanish fascists from the 20th century?

edit: I removed the pic lest some Gestapo wannabe here reports me to teacher.
Anyone hailing a taxi in Baraboo WI, vil promptly be arrested!

Hey, it's me....over here!

fingers closed, black power salute, fingers open white power salute. white bad, black good.

'the day after the election someone was heard shouting white power'.... that would be enough evidence to imprison a political opponent in any iron curtain country.

If a Nazi salute, that's what high school boys major in, stupid.

Frightening days as we have the left wing critics making the rules and devising punishment for words and symbols, they interpret as evil, no matter their intent or perspective. Of course if a white supremist likes Campbell's soup, it means that anyone who buys Campbell's soup is a white supremist.

A neat slight of hand as the left tosses out some controversy where opponents are compelled to defend rights and that gets twisted into declaring they are defending the indefensible hate groups.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:03 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:

Are you actually serious? Do you think the average high school student would be as familiar with Franco's Spain as with Nazi Germany? Do you really think American society is as likely to associate a clearly Heil salute with Franco? How many adults in the USA, even well-educated ones, can explain the difference between Spain's Falangists and Germany's Nazis? Given all the answers are some variant of "slim to none", how the hell can you believe that these high school students were meaning Spanish Falangists instead of German Nazis?

You're wiggling more fervently than a fish hauled up in a net, and it isn't working. I'd sooner believe an astrologist's advice as a basis for making a $10,000 investment than I would your rationalization of these high schoolers' despicable acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So there is no such thing as freedom of speech, nor freedom of expression in the U.S. anymore? Can a hand gesture, or statement hurt you?
Yes it can. Nobody has to hit you to hurt you. In fact, physical pain (including many serious injuries) are often less psychologically damaging to many people than being socially marginalized in a contemptuous manner. Totally aside from the fact that the boys probably don't really want to bring back the gas chambers, that kind of behavior IS signaling to others "That person doesn't deserve aid, support, and informal social connections that make that person's day-to-day business of living less difficult than it already is... and any normal, decent, self-respecting person with good sense and strong backbone believe so either!". Jokes, even if "just that", jokes, are still a diminution of other people's personal regard for that person. History repeatedly shows that belittlement of a person's value easily leads to a slippery slope of all kinds of severe injustices.

Face it, the "sticks and stones" not only lacks any basis, it sounds like an excuse for both victim-blaming and affirming the cultural belief that the in-crowd has the right to demean an out-group.

Last edited by Phil75230; 11-14-2018 at 05:14 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think the prank was closer to harmless than a felony..

If the prank was not harmless as you suggest, and i am not saying i disagree with you.. what should the punishment be? I suspect they get suspended from school and that's all. not sure the state or Attorney General would be pursuing any criminal charges..
I don't think it's a crime. But I wouldn't be sorry for any of them if they lost out on college admissions, scholarships or admission into the military.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

Don't agree with the premise, if serious... But who was harmed?
If people cannot be offensive joking around, we are done as a free civil society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies