Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've been called a fake military supporter on this forum by a poster simply because I said military is not a day care center. For the most part, the combat troops should be single men's game.

If "they" (the media and politicians) want to use this "story" to show Trump administration does not really care about the troop, there is really nothing else you can say.

"Oh, lookie lookie, Trump sent OUR service members to Mexican border and they don't have water and electricity." lol This is what "they" want you to believe.

There is nothing you can do or say.
it's laughably pathetic.
'oh no, our troops don't have electricity! how on earth will they keep their iphones charged?!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's laughably pathetic.
'oh no, our troops don't have electricity! how on earth will they keep their iphones charged?!'
Yep, i think there are two types of people who are outraged by this non-story.

1. Those who truly care about the troops, but they know nothing (or very little) about the military and how military operates.

2. Those who have the exact same mentality of Kelly Osbourne

"If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?"

LOL

They don't care about the troops or these "poor illegals", all they care about is trashing Trump.

I grew up in an upper middle class beach community. There were many Democrats who have said horrible horrible things about minorities, illegal immigrants (or immigrants in general including the legal immigrants), veterans, etc. These people ended up being Democrats. I learned at an early age that spoiled brats are spoiled brats, just because you call yourself a liberal, doesn't mean you are automatically caring, and compassionate.

You can certainly carry on a civilized conversation with the 1st type of people. Don't even try to reason with the second type. It is a no win situation.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-14-2018 at 08:39 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One of my FB friends posted this:
https://www.axios.com/american-troop...606cde3aa.html

No hot meals? No electricity?

So?

I recall an Army training manual of the 70s, I think it was for desert warfare, that weighed hot meals against the other. Of where to consider the soldier who gets something to eat and then gets some hours of sleep against that of them being woken up at midnight to unload the food transport when it rolls in.

As it was said in the 70s, "We never promised you a rose garden".
I am fully aware that our troops serve in more miserable conditions and undergo training to prepare them for such.
And yes, it is what they signed up for.

That being said, it’s not a surprise that people would be somewhat aghast at them encountering third world conditions in their own country.

But again, they did train for this.

Me, I’m wondering how those still-separated children have fared in those tent cities in the sub-freezing temps the past few nights.

The overnight low beginning of the week was in the teens in the Las Cruces/El Paso area.
Not pleasant.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am fully aware that our troops serve in more miserable conditions and undergo training to prepare them for such.
And yes, it is what they signed up for.

That being said, it’s not a surprise that people would be somewhat aghast at them encountering third world conditions in their own country.

But again, they did train for this.

Me, I’m wondering how those still-separated children have fared in those tent cities in the sub-freezing temps the past few nights.

The overnight low beginning of the week was in the teens in the Las Cruces/El Paso area.
Not pleasant.
some people, myself included, actually seek out such 'third world conditions' on weekends and holidays.
we call it 'camping.'

Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This seems like a good place to step back in.

My late grand Aunt commented about that when President Clinton deployed people to Bosnia....right at the holidays (as I recall).

Hey, like I said, "we never promised you a rose garden" and if doing things on holidays are done because it is a tactical advantage or just way the rain puddles form in the road (why Marines walk through puddles), well, that's the way it is.

It's great when one can decide how and when the situation forms but often, that's not the case.
Bosnia had a purpose, civilians were being murdered this is a waste of the military.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yep, i think there are two types of people who are outraged by this non-story.

1. Those who truly care about the troops, but they know nothing (or very little) about the military and how military operates.

2. Those who have the exact same mentality of Kelly Osbourne

"If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?"

LOL

They don't care about the troops or these "poor illegals", all they care about is trashing Trump.

I grew up in an upper middle class beach community. There were many Democrats who have said horrible horrible things about minorities, illegal immigrants (or immigrants in general including the legal immigrants), veterans, etc. These people ended up being Democrats. I learned at an early age that spoiled brats are spoiled brats, just because you call yourself a liberal, doesn't mean you are automatically caring, and compassionate.

You can certainly carry on a civilized conversation with the 1st type of people. Don't even try to reason with the second type. It is a no win situation.
I would like to rep. you 10x

Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Is it the claim that they are in substandard accommodations - not standard US Army temporary/field accommodations?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
My brother was there. All the a/c in the world couldn’t make Riyadh a nice place.
Oh, that is totally true.

Of all the places I'd been in my military career, I despised Riyadh most.

But it wasn't because of the physical environment.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I think people know what they are signing up for when they join and it's not a stay at the Four Seasons.

That said, sending them to the border to wait for some caravan of civilians that is hundreds of miles away is pretty stupid.

Why should they be stuck there in crappy conditions to play security theater? It's silly.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Oh, that is totally true.

Of all the places I'd been in my military career, I despised Riyadh most.

And it wasn't because of the physical environment.
Never met anyone who was in the military who actually liked Riyadh.

My ex husband hated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies