Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:07 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
This is where I believe the over 100 billion figure comes from.

https://fairus.org/issue/publication...ates-taxpayers

And here is Cato's rebuttal showing some of the flaws they saw in how that report arrived there.

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed
Yup. This has been presented to OldGlory many many times by me and other posters. Yet he/she continues to post the $100 billion lie because his/her argument is apparently so flimsy and without support that he/she must rely on lies to make it. It’s transpaently sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 04:12 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Yup. This has been presented to OldGlory many many times by me and other posters. Yet he/she continues to post the $100 billion lie because his/her argument is apparently so flimsy and without support that he/she must rely on lies to make it. It’s transpaently sad.
And the tired arguments about how you must be for open borders or have personal vested interests. He/she surmised I must have those because of my username and not falling over myself to agree that we need The Wall. (Really it's the Latin name for a fish. Maybe looks like LatinAmerica if you squint and dont notice the missing letters?)

Old 11-14-2018, 04:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
O.G. unless the wall traverses the entire border it will just move the problem to another part of the country.

We don't need a wall on the entire border. I don't see illegals, drug runners or otherwise, traversing terrain like the Santa Elana Canyon on the Rio Grande in Big Bend.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
We don't need a wall on the entire border. I don't see illegals, drug runners or otherwise, traversing terrain like the Santa Elana Canyon on the Rio Grande in Big Bend.

Yeah, cuz the drug runners are elsewhere already using boats....

Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
So WE, he American people are on the hook for over 300 million dollars for 14 Miles of wall.
We're paying 20 million dollars per mile for a wall/fence that will accomplish nothing, and never be completed.

It was a silly idea even if we somehow had got Mexico to pay for it, but this is outright theft, and I'm really interested to learn more about who these contracts are being issues to.

Get a grip.

We have been "on the hook" for billions of dollars that illegals have cost us over the years. The cost of the wall is small change in comparison.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,025 times
Quote:
Yeah, cuz the drug runners are elsewhere already using boats....

When the wall is finished, drug runners can use boats all they like, but they won't be able to boat over the wall. In addition, parts of the Rio Grande are extremely shallow, so boating is impossible. Rafting depends again, on the river levels.

We finally have a President who is willing to actually do something about illegal immigration, and I'm thankful. And particularly when there are multiple caravans on their way here, not to mention the estimated 5 million that want to join them.

I also want to see something done about visa overstayers; perhaps create an ID card with a chip that they are required to use in order to work, get a drivers license, etc. And if they don't check in prior to their visa expiring, the chip card is deactivated and they are unable to work, drive, get a credit card, for example.

Last edited by Arabianhorsebreeder; 11-14-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
And the tired arguments about how you must be for open borders or have personal vested interests. He/she surmised I must have those because of my username and not falling over myself to agree that we need The Wall. (Really it's the Latin name for a fish. Maybe looks like LatinAmerica if you squint and dont notice the missing letters?)
So...then you should have no problem with 700 miles of wall if you are NOT for open borders.

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:

You would be very surprised, when there is a will... there is a way.

Quote:
When the wall is finished, drug runners can use boats all they like, but they won't be able to boat over the wall. In addition, parts of the Rio Grande is extremely shallow, so boating is impossible. Rafting depends again, on the river levels.

We finally have a President who is willing to actually do something about illegal immigration, and I'm thankful. And particularly when there are multiple caravans on their way here, not to mention the estimated 5 million that want to join them.

I also want to see something done about visa overstayers; perhaps create an ID card with a chip that they are required to use in order to work, get a drivers license, etc. And if they don't check in prior to their visa expiring, the chip card is deactivated and they are unable to work, drive, get a credit card, for example.
I was referring to my earlier post; 95% of drugs are already coming by boat, so the wall will do little in that regard.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...then you should have no problem with 700 miles of wall if you are NOT for open borders.
If you read my posts in this thread, you would see what I advocate doing first that would likely render The Wall unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies