Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,814,972 times

Advertisements

I want to shrink the influence of government particularly the federal government and political parties and return to individual liberty and autonomy. I want the federal government with few exceptions to not allow legal or illegal mass immigration, provide military defense of the borders, and to aim for trade balances.

So the last thing I want is one party Democrat rule. What I want is very limited party rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 03:07 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,900,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Whatever side you go to, do you want your party, your side to rule in dominance now and forever? Like what we see is happening in California? If your side goes unchallenged nothing but good things from now on right? This question goes out to those on the left and right.

For instance in California Republicans are basically shut down, shut out for the seeable future, liberals in California should be rejoicing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasd.../#6dd22ae273b7

California Is Becoming a One-Party State, and That Party Is Liberal Democrats - February 26, 2018 - SF Weekly

https://californiapolicycenter.org/f...in-california/
One party rule is barely a step away from a dictatorship. This is true of BOTH parties. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That said, I have republican friends who feel that the republican party has deserted them, and I understand why they would feel this way in the era of Trump.

The republican party has steadily painted itself into a corner by becoming the party of old white men. The party needs to reinvent itself in order to appeal to a broader cross section of voters. Back in the day, I used to vote for the candidate I considered best qualified and if that person was a republican, I still voted for them.

Now since republicans have become the party of Trump, I would never ever vote for a republican. The republican party needs to start offering voters viable choices again.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:14 PM

13,794 posts, read 5,512,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Already have one party rule: the State

Submit or be destroyed.
This.

All the political parties, big "L" Libertarians included, seek the power that comes from being part of the ruling State. The opposition to that is revolution and anarchy. We've seen too many times how this works out for "opposition" to the almighty State.

Everything considered different between the various flavors and incarnations of the almighty State are just distractions to help you forget that we are all enslaved to some contract we apparently signed while exiting a birth canal (tm, No_Recess).

The notion that there is a substantial difference is pure fiction. It's never existed. The closest the nation ever came to an "opposition" party was:
  1. the period between 1779-1788, when the concept of the Constitution was being discussed, and you had actual anti-federalists campaigning, writing, publishing, and in Virginia, actually refusing to ratify the Constitution itself, preferring the far more decentralized Articles of Confederation.
  2. the period between 1860-1865, when states actually seceded from the United States and formed a legitimate opposition to the one party rule of Washington DC.
Beyond those two periods, there has never been opposition to the almighty State, just slight variations of how to best implement/deliver tyranny to the enslaved.

8,924 posts, read 5,586,466 times
Look what happened to the Republicans while Trump controlled all three branches of government. NO Republican dared to challenge him for fear he would be held up for ridicule. They went along with whatever The Orange Liar said. Look how the midterms went. Not good for Republicans and may not be good for the Trump party come 2020.

19,966 posts, read 7,814,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
One party rule is barely a step away from a dictatorship. This is true of BOTH parties. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. That said, I have republican friends who feel that the republican party has deserted them, and I understand why they would feel this way in the era of Trump.

The republican party has steadily painted itself into a corner by becoming the party of old white men. The party needs to reinvent itself in order to appeal to a broader cross section of voters. Back in the day, I used to vote for the candidate I considered best qualified and if that person was a republican, I still voted for them.

Now since republicans have become the party of Trump, I would never ever vote for a republican. The republican party needs to start offering voters viable choices again.
Not any more than the Democrats have become a party of an imported "people of color". Who's fault is it that non-whites aren't conservative or patriotic or okay with the white majority?

There's plenty of diversity of thought and ethnicity in the Republican party. But if they move more to the left and more globalist, then they won't have the support of this not so old "white guy".

Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 PM

29,929 posts, read 18,764,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Whatever side you go to, do you want your party, your side to rule in dominance now and forever? Like what we see is happening in California? If your side goes unchallenged nothing but good things from now on right? This question goes out to those on the left and right.

For instance in California Republicans are basically shut down, shut out for the seeable future, liberals in California should be rejoicing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasd.../#6dd22ae273b7

California Is Becoming a One-Party State, and That Party Is Liberal Democrats - February 26, 2018 - SF Weekly

https://californiapolicycenter.org/f...in-california/
I firmly believe in divided power and gridlock....which is why though my favorite party (Republicans) just lost the House, I'm totally fine with it and look forward to the next 2 years of gridlock and nothing getting done in DC.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,329,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

First come on, "party of old white men". How can I have a open dialogue when someone paints it that way to begin with?

Funny I voted for Trump because I too felt the republican party abandoned me, they only paid lip service to actually containing illegal immigration, they continued to involve us in nation building (which democrats do also), continued to spend, I also disagree with making a amendment that marriage is only between a man and woman because small government means not involving yourself in someone's sex life whether you agree with someone's lifestyle or not.

So I voted for Trump a outsider from the normal republicans. Am I 100% happy with him? no but it is what it is. Fact I was ready to vote Democrat for the first time ever for Jim Webb but the Democrats have made it clear that if you are not on the left side of it all there is no room for you in the democratic party at least not in positions of power.

If you mean reinvent by becoming more like left democrats well no thank you. I don't support gun control, I don't support open borders, I don't support mass welfare, I don' support free college, I don't support raising taxes to fight climate change, I don't support social engineering , basically I don't support everything that California is now.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:32 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,202,559 times
No state can have one party rule forever if it obeys our Constitution. The Constitution was written to prevent one party from ruling forever.

Don't ever believe California or any other state is entirely Democratic or Republican. That's believing in a lie. The Democrats only have a majority now, just as other states have Republican majorities.

As times change, so does party affiliation. The parties themselves change over time. Any state's government is what the majority of its citizens want it to be at the moment, and those desires can, and do, change at any moment.

The minority party always has a presence in every state as well. It's the natural way democracies work. Contention is a necessity to any democracy.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,991,425 times
We seem headed for one-party (Dem) rule here in WA. There are still red areas, especially in Eastern WA, but Democrats control the governorships, both Senate seats, 7 of 10 house seats, the state senate and house.

For a while Republicans had effective control of the senate with several conservative Dems, but that is over.

We have a lot of state initiatives here (like CA) and liberals seem to have had the upper hand. A gun control measure passed 60-40. A carbon tax did fail, but naturally thanks to 'big oil' pouring in cash.

For now we have no state income tax, but I'm curious to see if there will be efforts to change that. State Democrats have been salivating over that one for years, and I think the state just might be blue enough now to do it.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I firmly believe in divided power and gridlock....which is why though my favorite party (Republicans) just lost the House, I'm totally fine with it and look forward to the next 2 years of gridlock and nothing getting done in DC.
There was a pretty famous study by an economist named William Niskanen who looked at this and found indeed that spending tended to increase less under divided government, regardless of party. When the Rs controlled all, spending went up more, and likewise when Ds controlled all.
https://www.cato.org/publications/co...ded-government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies