Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Well then, there is no reason to be concerned, right?

Things are going to work out swimmingly for the Brits as all this talk about how the UK will negotiate better trade deals after Brexit is just foolishness. The mechanisms for great trade is already in place.

So no worries.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:23 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
... There is no reason why the UK can't continue free trade under WTO rules just as other countries do, and that includes financial services, indeed the US and many other countries enjoy equivalency in relation to financial services.
Let the bankers know this ASAP.

Last I read, a sizable number of banks were shifting employees and significant parts of their operations to Frankfort.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Have the Brexiteers expressed interest in an EEA/EFTA type of deal? Participation, but no vote? Missed my attention. Also, there's the bit about Norway being really, really rich. They can afford to help fund the EU without having a vote because hey, oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What about Switzerland and Norway being on the wealthy side escapes the attention of the folks who are chomping at the bit for the UK to go it alone?

The UK will eventually figure its way out of this fiasco. But it will likely take a while.

But from what I can tell, in the past their wealth came from colonizing and hauling the money home. Those endeavors have slowed down..

Banks are moving their non-UK operations out of the country.

Manufacturing outfits are moving out the part of their operations that don't sell to UK customers.

Hospitals are already finding it difficult to attract trained medical professionals.

I realize that Brexiters are excited to get rid of the Polish plumbers. Perhaps that will be enough to carry the day.
The Uk's economy towers above Norway and Switzerland. Uk is at 2.6 trillion while Norway is at a whopping 398 billion and Switzerland at 678 billion. There economies are not even comparable the UK towers over them.

Yet the UK will be doom and gloom if it leaves the EU? The same EU Norway is not even a member of? And the UK just has to be part of the EU because of what, their geographic location?

In a global economy, it is amazing how much focus is put on such a small region geographically speaking.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Let the bankers know this ASAP.

Last I read, a sizable number of banks were shifting employees and significant parts of their operations to Frankfort.
Most of London's financial trade is not in relation to Europe.

Brexit Won't Cause As Many UK Finance Jobs Losses As Thought - Fortune

Banks set to move fewer than 4,600 City jobs over Brexit | The Financial Times

At the same time the number of major tech comanies and HQ's moving in to London has been phenomenal and these are inareas outide of the business districts.

In terms of the business districts both Canary Wharf which is currently seeing a massive spate of new towers and inestment and the City of London are both booming.

The latest planning application in terms oif the City is a tower which has been ncknamed 'The Tulip'.

'Tulip' tower planned for London's skyline - BBC News

Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Dane, are you a Dane Living in LA...
That I am.

Quote:
If you shop in any Morrison`s, Tesco`s, Sainsbury`s most of the food you see is British, British Organic, or from anywhere but Europe. This has been a gradual shift in the last four years, with Morrison`s, Tesco, Waitrose stocking now local suppliers, and a massive niche for UK Organic. I only bought some Spanish tomato`s in error. You do see Spanish, Dutch produce, Italian toms and pasta, French only seem to stock wine and cheese, German beer perhaps. I`ve noticed a lot of UK shoppers have been shunning European food. I`m sure Europeans prefer their own foods as well. Bottled water is UK, fruit is from the Caribbean, maybe NZ lamb, Blueberries were Polish but now Chilian, or UK.
Even if we leave with a no deal you can still buy your soft French cheese or Danish pastries but they will cost more.
As I can't pop down to Tesco's to look at labels, I have to rely on boring old stats. Like this, UK Food production to supply ratio 1988 to 2017:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-uk-supply

Your island cannot feed itself. It's not even debatable.

And theres' this:

Quote:
Even if we leave with a no deal you can still buy your soft French cheese or Danish pastries but they will cost more.
30% of the food currently consumed in the UK is of EU origin, and it is about to climb in price? Don't recall that fact being discussed widely in Brexiteer circles.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 11-19-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The Uk's economy towers above Norway and Switzerland. Uk is at 2.6 trillion while Norway is at a whopping 398 billion and Switzerland at 678 billion. There economies are not even comparable the UK towers over them.
Oh, FFS. Look at per capita numbers. Or government financial health. What are those figures, raw GDP?

Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The trouble with Brexit is having a Prime Minister who was against it to begin with...
That's because none of the people who campaigned for it actually wanted the referendum to end up in favor of Brexit. It was a stunt. There was no plan.

Quote:
For their part, the EU wants to make an example of the UK because they don't want everyone else leaving.
We're going to hear that a lot. Everything bad in the UK was the EU's fault before Brexit; and every bad outcome of Brexit is now going to be blamed on the EU not bending over backwards for the UK - or, as the Brexiteers will call it "punishing the UK". The EU is going to negotiate in the EU's interest, that's their job. The Brits started the countdown when they weren't ready and that's most certainly not the EU's fault.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
The first figures were 2010 and the 2017 figures were provisional only, Britain and non EU according to your provisional ( not full) accounts at 70%. ( I will check this out) That figure has definitely grown as I have said , recently. We are talking at a minimum three-quarters of our food is from outside the Bloc, and that figure is growing. I also said, and your stats back it up, that the East Europeans, all 4 million probably only buy produce from their own shops. I cannot see them buying organic British chicken from Tesco or Waitrose. Again, I said food wastage in the UK is the worst ( check your stats on that) that will be reduced.
In Southgate in Asda ( the cheap supermarket) they have special aisles for East European food, that's one example.
Once we have left we would then find cheaper/better alternatives around the world, maybe Argentina, Chilie, New Zealand, Australia. We also choose British pork over Danish, or Dutch as it is more ethical. We won`t starve but you Danish exports to the UK will go up in price, by a lot.
You do know that even crashing out of the EU, trade will continue it doesn`t dry up Consumers just have to decide how much they want to pay for their imported Pork.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Once we have left we would then find cheaper/better alternatives around the world, maybe Argentina, Chilie, New Zealand, Australia.
And the suppliers in Argentina etc. who are all set up to export to the EU will now have to get started on the UK paperwork. Which - isn't ready.

Quote:
You do know that even crashing out of the EU, trade will continue it doesn`t dry up Consumers just have to decide how much they want to pay for their imported Pork.
Of course.

But we're kinda moving from "We'll fund the NHS with all the money we used to send to the EU" to "There will be an adequate food supply", aren't we?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And the suppliers in Argentina etc. who are all set up to export to the EU will now have to get started on the UK paperwork. Which - isn't ready.

Of course.

But we're kinda moving from "We'll fund the NHS with all the money we used to send to the EU" to "There will be an adequate food supply", aren't we?
There is a transition period under the current planning, however even if we chose to igmore the current plans we could still trade under WTO rules with other WTO member countries.

In terms of the NHS promise the was nonsense, however Britain could improve NHS funding simply by cutting the £14 Billion ($17.8 Billion USD) of Foreign Aid it gives annually.

In 2016 the UK government paid £13.1 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.6 billion.

Add this to the foreign and developmental aid budget and Britain gives away around £23 Billion ($30 Billion USD), which is simlar to what trhe US gives annually.

Development aid - Wikipedia

The EU has around a $100 Billion a year trade surplus with the UK, which is nearly the same as it has woith the entire USA based on much more trade, and the UK is one of the EU's most important markets in terms of manufactured goods, and many EU industries would suffer under a system of tariffs.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-19-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies