Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 04:46 AM

59,014 posts, read 27,284,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But, do you really want to go down that road. He would be sending a message to just disregard the rule of law if you don't like it. If the judge order us to do something, not doing it is not an option, we would go to jail quick time if we just ignore a court order. He shouldn't set an example like that, so when the next guy comes along that you don't like, he won't get to disrespect the courts as well.
"But, do you really want to go down that road" YES!

"He would be sending a message to just disregard the rule of law if you don't like it."

What part of there is NO LAW to be BROKEN do you NOT understand?

Or maybe YOU should POST the LAW you think was broken so we can discuss it.

I do NOT want judges making things up.

Judges are SUPPOSED to rule on whether a LAW was broken or not and NOT on things that HAVE NO LAW!

"He shouldn't set an example like that," You file an APPEAL. Do you know ANYTHING about the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think this has been massively misinterpreted on all sides. This is not a slam dunk for either side. This is simply a judge stating the obvious: If you're going to make revoking press passes a thing, you need a well defined process for it. You have set rules up-front and then make revocation of access contingent upon those rules. You need to have due process, like for instance actually notifying Acosta that his press pass had been revoked and clearly explaining why. The judge didn't even mention the 1st Amendment in his ruling.

How this likely plays out? Trump's Administration makes rules. No talking out of turn. Limitations restricting hoarding the press Q&A time and grandstanding. When somebody working for the White House comes for their microphone, you politely hand it over. Limits on how many questions one person can ask, along with how exceptions to this might work. Then the ball is in Jim Acosta's court. If he continues to grandstand, shout over people, interrupt, refuse to let other people talk, etc. then he will get his press pass taken away and nobody will be able to help him at that point. Trump's house, Trump's rules -- but he did need to actually set the rules to begin with. Or Jim Acosta will simply change his behavior to conform with the rules and keep his press pass as long as CNN wants him to be their guy. Either way, the problem is solved.

I do think that the over-focus on Jim Acosta is unfortunate. There's a lot going on right now with the caravans showing up at the border and Mexican locals attacking them. There's a continuing steady march by the Robber Barons of Silicon Valley to throttle all competition by labeling all platforms competing with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. as "evil Nazi sites" and then combining to try to erase them from Internet existence. You have the mob attack on Tucker Carlson's house and the predictable backlash of threats by the Far Right to start doing the same things to Democrats. You have election fraud or the lack thereof in Florida, Georgia and possible Arizona and Texas. There are much bigger things going on than Jim Acosta and they're not getting as much attention and analysis as they should be because some narcissistic reporter lost his press pass for being an asshat.
"This is simply a judge stating the obvious: If you're going to make revoking press passes a thing, you need a well defined process for it." Why?

It is NOT A LAW

A judge has NO BUSINESS ruling on "protocol"

We do NOT need a bunch of gov't gobblsdygook language for something as easy as common sense and courtesy.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I think this has been massively misinterpreted on all sides. This is not a slam dunk for either side. This is simply a judge stating the obvious: If you're going to make revoking press passes a thing, you need a well defined process for it. You have set rules up-front and then make revocation of access contingent upon those rules. You need to have due process, like for instance actually notifying Acosta that his press pass had been revoked and clearly explaining why. The judge didn't even mention the 1st Amendment in his ruling.

How this likely plays out? Trump's Administration makes rules. No talking out of turn. Limitations restricting hoarding the press Q&A time and grandstanding. When somebody working for the White House comes for their microphone, you politely hand it over. Limits on how many questions one person can ask, along with how exceptions to this might work. Then the ball is in Jim Acosta's court. If he continues to grandstand, shout over people, interrupt, refuse to let other people talk, etc. then he will get his press pass taken away and nobody will be able to help him at that point. Trump's house, Trump's rules -- but he did need to actually set the rules to begin with. Or Jim Acosta will simply change his behavior to conform with the rules and keep his press pass as long as CNN wants him to be their guy. Either way, the problem is solved.

I do think that the over-focus on Jim Acosta is unfortunate. There's a lot going on right now with the caravans showing up at the border and Mexican locals attacking them. There's a continuing steady march by the Robber Barons of Silicon Valley to throttle all competition by labeling all platforms competing with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. as "evil Nazi sites" and then combining to try to erase them from Internet existence. You have the mob attack on Tucker Carlson's house and the predictable backlash of threats by the Far Right to start doing the same things to Democrats. You have election fraud or the lack thereof in Florida, Georgia and possible Arizona and Texas. There are much bigger things going on than Jim Acosta and they're not getting as much attention and analysis as they should be because some narcissistic reporter lost his press pass for being an asshat.
"This is simply a judge stating the obvious: If you're going to make revoking press passes a thing, you need a well defined process for it." Why?

It is NOT A LAW

"I do think that the over-focus on Jim Acosta is unfortunate."

Of course you do.

Acosta acted like a spoiled little brat and you don't want it talked about. But you NEVER COMPLAIN when the same Acosta says very nasty insulting things about our President which has NOTHING to do with the presidents policies, it is all OPINION, on a major national news network.

But, it IS OK to talk ABOUT HOW MANY SCOOPS OF ICE CREAM Trump had the national MEDIA REPORTED ON!

It is obvious to me, you can dish it out BUT CAN'T TAKE IT!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 11-19-2018 at 05:13 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,068 times
I believe, in the long run, we will find that Jim Acosta just cooked his own goose as well as that of other reporters. Many are at least polite in not grandstanding (though I believe that is because some are expected/willing to give a grandstanding Acosta the floor at any given time) but now there will be expectations of conduct for allowing those reporters to remain.

Thanks Jimbo.

Last edited by 4dognight; 11-19-2018 at 05:13 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I agree with nearly all of this, except the idea that the mass media under the guise of "journalism" has openly taken the leadership role of the Democrat left #Resistance is a small matter compared to the other issues that you have mentioned. Now it is their expectation that they should be allowed to effectively take over and control White House press briefings and press conferences, using behavior that they would have unanimously decried as unacceptable if anyone had dared to act this way towards Barack Obama.

This is a big deal, but not because of the court ruling about Acosta's press pass being temporarily reintated. It is a big deal because this will be a step in the right direction towards establishing some limits and parameters that discourage and control this sort of outrageous anti-social behavior by the very people who have been the foremost leaders in promoting and modeling this bad conduct in our society.

And if we can get the Democrat left media to cool it a bit, I for one will be anticipating that will enable President Trump to cool it a bit in response as well.

Not bad, Not bad at all!

Old 11-19-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

But, it IS OK to talk ABOUT HOW MANY SCOOPS OF ICE CREAM Trump had the national MEDIA REPORTED ON!

It is obvious tome, you can dish it out BUT CAN'T TAKE IT!
Sorry, had to quote you. Love the unintended pun.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I certainly didn't say that the Left's overwhelming domination of news media and those media outlets attempting to bludgeon the American people, the President and all who dare disagree with them into submission as "no big deal." It is a big deal and the more the news organizations seek to highlight their battle with President Trump as "the only news worth focusing on", the more their credibility gets shredded.

I don't get my news from CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, the NYT, etc. I don't trust any of them. They lie constantly. They seem to be incapable of just reporting the news without trying to tell everyone tuning in how to live their lives and how to think. They all have their own agendas. They are increasingly being called The Legacy Media because they're dying -- and they're hitting the fast forward button on their own demise by trying to be the news instead of just reporting it. Jim Acosta is one of the worst offenders on that. I don't need the mega corporate sponsored news to find out what's going on in the world. I get more and better information elsewhere.

"the more their credibility gets shredded."

WHAT credibility?

They have had a LOWER approval rating then even Congress for DECADES!

Old 11-19-2018, 05:10 AM

OR what Spartacus said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I agree with nearly all of this, except the idea that the mass media under the guise of "journalism" has openly taken the leadership role of the Democrat left #Resistance is a small matter compared to the other issues that you have mentioned. Now it is their expectation that they should be allowed to effectively take over and control White House press briefings and press conferences, using behavior that they would have unanimously decried as unacceptable if anyone had dared to act this way towards Barack Obama.

This is a big deal, but not because of the court ruling about Acosta's press pass being temporarily reintated. It is a big deal because this will be a step in the right direction towards establishing some limits and parameters that discourage and control this sort of outrageous anti-social behavior by the very people who have been the foremost leaders in promoting and modeling this bad conduct in our society.

And if we can get the Democrat left media to cool it a bit, I for one will be anticipating that will enable President Trump to cool it a bit in response as well.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Sorry, had to quote you. Love the unintended pun.
"Sorry, had to quote you."

Feel free anytime.

" Love the unintended pun"

How do you know it was UNintended? Hmm!

Old 11-19-2018, 05:20 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

It is NOT A LAW

We do NOT need a bunch of gov't gobblsdygook language for something as easy as common sense and courtesy.
Honestly, I would have thought right along those same lines. The White House is effectively Donald Trump's private residence, so he can uninvite anyone whenever he chooses to. I said as much when they took Acosta's press pass away.

But when the judge ruled, I do get what he's saying. And it sure as hell wasn't about the 1st Amendment. The CNN spiking the proverbial football and doing a victory dance was premature. This wasn't a win for them. The judge said, "If you're going to do this, you need rules and you need them to know those rules right up front." I'd just like to see this same kind of mentality used when the Robber Barons of Silicon Valley keep kicking Conservatives off of the Internet without any due process based on whatever rules they can contrive at the moment. If due process is supposed to be a thing, it should be a thing for everybody.

Jim Acosta is a self-absorbed narcissistic ass. I think we all know how this plays out. The Trump administration sets the rules. Acosta will do his, "I'm Jim Acosta, look at me!!" thing. And he'll lose his press pass permanently. And it will all happen because he just won't be able to restrain himself from being Jim Acosta. Acosta is the real-life Mr Meeseeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnYdXlvCmO0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies