Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,290,525 times

Advertisements

Nancy Pelosi is a phenomenal woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM

29,176 posts, read 22,170,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
She's a great politician - historians classify her as one of the most effective Speakers of recent times.

Whether someone personally likes her is a moot point. People who throw that stuff around are Realty TV types. It takes a lot of smarts and hard work to actually get things done in Congress.

Ryan didn't. Boehner didn't.
I disagree about John Boehner. He was as good as Pelosi in knowing how Congress works, but he was saddled with a coalition that wanted to do away with all federal government. There were only 20 of those idiots at the first, and less than half of them are still there, but that was all that was needed to block every good move at governance Boehner ever tried to do.

Pelosi has never dragged that ball and chain around, although she's had plenty of Blue Dogs in her day to contend with.

Even so, Boehner was no good at coming up with good solutions and effective compromises. He was much better when he could just hunker down and oppose some other guy's plans in either party.

I didn't like him, but he was never a weak passive squish like Ryan. Boehner would have stood up to Trump, loud and often and hard.

I real a recent interview with him. He's very happy after leaving politics, and wants no more of it in retirement. I think he saw Trump coming when he suddenly resigned. He may not have seen Trump specifically, but he knew someone like him was coming, and he wanted to be long gone before then.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:57 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,430,051 times
Trumps just sucking up to her to get his wall.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:04 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,682,624 times
I am sure she is swooning. Sarcasm aside, an endorsement from Donald Trump is certainly not an endorsement any sane person desires. And she is as serious and sane as they come.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 PM

29,176 posts, read 22,170,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I am sure she is swooning. Sarcasm aside, an endorsement from Donald Trump is certainly not an endorsement any sane person desires. And she is as serious and sane as they come.
If there was any honeymoon at all, it won't last very long. Nancy Pelosi is neither the most radical or moderate liberal in the House, but she has great ability to select committee chairpersons, and can hold a coalition together far better than any Republican can. She also knows who to reach out to as well, and always can find a Republican or two who will work with her when she needs them.

No one ever gets what they want from her, but almost everyone gets what they need, and Pelosi knows where it all is and where it comes from. If she can't get it, no one can.

She won't spend precious time arguing with Trump, but she'll be as patient as a rock when they meet. Trump may expect she will be as pliable as Ryan, until he learns how formidable she can be.

One ting about Nancy Pelosi I've noticed recently is she learned how to dial down her personality a lot. She won't be the same person as she was back in 2008 at all in that regard.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,390,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I disagree about John Boehner. He was as good as Pelosi in knowing how Congress works, but he was saddled with a coalition that wanted to do away with all federal government. There were only 20 of those idiots at the first, and less than half of them are still there, but that was all that was needed to block every good move at governance Boehner ever tried to do.

Pelosi has never dragged that ball and chain around, although she's had plenty of Blue Dogs in her day to contend with.

Even so, Boehner was no good at coming up with good solutions and effective compromises. He was much better when he could just hunker down and oppose some other guy's plans in either party.

I didn't like him, but he was never a weak passive squish like Ryan. Boehner would have stood up to Trump, loud and often and hard.

I real a recent interview with him. He's very happy after leaving politics, and wants no more of it in retirement. I think he saw Trump coming when he suddenly resigned. He may not have seen Trump specifically, but he knew someone like him was coming, and he wanted to be long gone before then.
Well, I agree Boehner had it rough dealing with the tea party faction. I would say it's one reason he said the hell with it and got out of Dodge.

Like herding cats.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,862,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Nancy Pelosi is a phenomenal woman!
I wonder if Trump still thinks that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies