Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The only major nation I am aware of that is making plans for the changes is China. They have tropical areas and desert areas. China has a massive project underway to bring the increased floodwaters far to the south north to the parched regions. Whatever else we might say about them, they are being proactive about this looming crises, and trying to mitigate the terrible consequences coming.

Here in the USA, we can not even admit there is a problem, and so no preparations are being made whatsoever.

That's funny, given that China has led the world in increased emissions in almost every year since 2000 while the US has led the world in decreased emissions 9 times since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 11:42 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's funny, given that China has led the world in increased emissions in almost every year since 2000 while the US has led the world in decreased emissions 9 times since 2000.
It's also true that because China's emissions were so bad, they have the most margin for improvement.

Also, both the US and China's carbon emissions have been relatively flat for the last 5 years.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...e-year-plateau

Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
The Earth has been steadily getting colder. Does this concern you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yes, I am afraid that global cooling will lead to the proliferation of polar bears which will cause the extinction of seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Yes, I hate cold.
I'm concerned with getting through the day. I'm just a flea to be shaken off this gigantic dog called Earth. It gets warmer, it gets colder, it quakes, burns, floods, and slides. In the grand scheme of things, there's absolutely nothing humans can do about it, except convince the witless to believe we can and extract truckloads of wealth out of them in the process.

The ultimate con job!

The last time the earth turned cold (mini ice age) it killed off a good percentage of humans. The last time it went into a full blown ice age it was a hair from becoming a full extinction event.

The only opinion that I have is that I truly love warmth far more than cold.

Quote:
Here in the USA, we can not even admit there is a problem, and so no preparations are being made whatsoever.
Which USA are you living in? The one I'm in has led the world in reducing its carbon footprint. We have done more to clean up our environment than any other country on the planet.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:54 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
I’m concerned about global idiocy.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:59 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Since the sun is responsible for the warming and cooling trends, there's not much to worry about since we can't do anything about it. But if environmentalists would want to get back to REAL issues like clean air and clean water and would want to take on companies like Dow and Monsanto, sign me up. But the green movement has been sold out so its not likely to happen.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Since the sun is responsible for the warming and cooling trends, there's not much to worry about since we can't do anything about it. But if environmentalists would want to get back to REAL issues like clean air and clean water and would want to take on companies like Dow and Monsanto, sign me up. But the green movement has been sold out so its not likely to happen.

dow, DuPont, apple

btw Monsanto does not exist anymore..they are now part of a swiss company

Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Not that simple. Have you been paying attention to what has been happening?

It's not for nothing that the Pentagon has rated climate change as a major national security threat.

The projections are that places which normally would receive abundant rain will receive more, and the areas that are normally quite arid will bake even more. Some countries are entirely in one type of area or the other, and this will cause massive disruptions and displacements and possibly more wars.

The transfer of heat energy from the hottest regions to the cooler ones will be more forceful and violent. While the polar regions still have ice, they are providing a moderating influence on our climate (much like ice cubes in a drink in the hot sun). When they have gone, the problems will multiply rapidly.

The only major nation I am aware of that is making plans for the changes is China. They have tropical areas and desert areas. China has a massive project underway to bring the increased floodwaters far to the south north to the parched regions. Whatever else we might say about them, they are being proactive about this looming crises, and trying to mitigate the terrible consequences coming.

So you’re just buying in to the Armageddon Hustle. The smart “scientists” said everything is going to get worse and worse unless we give them trillions of dollars to fix it. And you are just buying it. The wet areas will get wetter. The dry areas will get dryer. The storms will get worse. The ocean will come up like a plugged toilet and flood everyone and drown everyone and kill everyone. Unless we give the “smart” scientists and their cronies trillions and trillions. And you just buy it and buy it and believe it and believe it. Because the university-trained smart grant-spenders spent the money and concluded, surprise, that more money needs to be taken, more freedom needs to be taken, and we all have to give, give, and give. And you just buy it and buy it. Even when the IPCC reports are laced with non-climate bull$hit like gender equality, eradication of poverty, food security, and other leftist crap. And you just buy it and buy it and accept it on faith from the ”smart” university grant procurement machine. And then you have the nerve to offer filthy suffocating China as a model of climate responsibility and action. Guess what? I’m not buying it.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:49 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Because it's basic science. Does CO2 trap greenhouse gases?

Yes or no.
giggle. CO2 doesn't trap greenhouse gases.

CO2 IS a greenhouse gas.

I love it when people use the word 'science' when they really mean 'I need to sound s m r t"

Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Nope.

Scientists can use hindcasting and other models to view temperature in an atmosphere without CO2 from human emissions. It's clear that CO2 is warming the atmosphere far beyond natural cycles.
more fun stuff from Drewjdeg.... explain "hindcasting"

what you basing that on?
ever heard the terms. Upsidedown Tiljander?
or Keith Briffa's "single tree in Yamal"

if not you need to stop posting and start reading.... a lot..

do you even know what the term "Positive forcing" means?

Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Highlight that last part, at the end there, where it looks like a cone. Yeah, we were supposed to be in a period of Global cooling for a couple more thousands of years.

I guess the science of chemistry is right about Carbon Dioxide and Greenhouse Gases after all. Who would have thought? Well, other than the rich oil barons and their support of candidates and media outlets, of course. Plus the ones they duped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies