Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrats & the crooked MSM they believe without question hate the USA.
That's not any worse than nationalism that comes at major expense to the rest of the planet, so far as i can see.

Actually, it's probably better. I see potential problems stemming from nationalism at major expense for the rest of the planet. I don't really see any noteworthy problems coming from hating America, so long as no violence ensues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
There is a difference between America first and "everyone else never" while being a doosh. The Great Pumpkin needs to learn tact.
Most certainly, although he and George W. Bush do reflect a large segment of the American population, the ones that voted for those individuals.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I saw an NPR article that liberals were commenting on and saying things such as "No, it should be human beings first 🌍 ".

Absolutely crazy.

A country by definition puts itself citizens first. Otherwise, why even have a country?
The animal rights crowd will be on them for that.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
There is a difference between America first and "everyone else never" while being a doosh. The Great Pumpkin needs to learn tact.

Screw China.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Highly exaggerated presentation of the real situation.

The reality is that there is nothing wrong with our country having a clear identity and a strong coherent government.

Moving toward nationalism and isolationism is another story altogether.

When 60% of the goods that we consume are manufactured outside the USA, the idea that somehow the USA will be able to withdraw from the global marketplace is just a fantasy. This is one of the ideas that the isolationists babble about.

I can understand why our enemies like Russia would love for the USA to break ties with our NATO allies, another idea that the isolationists seem to support. I've not hear any logical argument explaining why that is an advantage for us.

Nationalism is a good thing. No one ever said anything about isolation. Maybe sense Obama is gone we could all strive to get off the "ism" bandwagon.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
That's not any worse than nationalism that comes at major expense to the rest of the planet, so far as i can see.

Actually, it's probably better. I see potential problems stemming from nationalism at major expense for the rest of the planet. I don't really see any noteworthy problems coming from hating America, so long as no violence ensues.

Ahh. You hate America. I recommend that you go live somewhere else and save the "species" there. We don't mind.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:07 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Nationalism is a good thing. No one ever said anything about isolation. Maybe sense Obama is gone we could all strive to get off the "ism" bandwagon.
Not always. Not if you treat the needs of the rest of the world as if they're close to irrelevant, definitely not in our current age where personal issues are becoming more and more trivial compared to impending issues relating to whether or not the species survives the next few centuries.

We need to be more concerned about global warming, environmentalism, clean water preservation and inventing technologies to de-salinate ocean water more cheaply, potential future concerns about automation rendering too many jobs obsolete, the national debt, debris in space, that sort of important stuff: the oncoming challenges that could very well make our current time period seem blissful in comparison, if we don't solve those problems well enough.

Compared to that, I hardly care whether or not we build Trump's wall or let in the Syrian immigrants. That's why I vote yes on every gas tax increase I see. I don't even know if it'll accomplish anything positive. I just assume it probably will. I'll also probably vote yes on anything I see that would assist in the increase in the number of nuclear power plants around...but I haven't seen anything like that in my state yet.

My biggest concern about the future is that America won't be doing that bad because of our immense land area and wealth, and hordes of immigrants will want to pour in because climate change and coastal flooding has rendered their countries uninhabitable, we won't let in any of them because we'll have become too nationalistic. If that sort of thing happens, I want us to let in several of them, not all of them, but some of them...enough that we feel pain so that we want to alter the state of the planet.

Last edited by Clintone; 11-20-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 06:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I saw an NPR article that liberals were commenting on and saying things such as "No, it should be human beings first 🌍 ".

Absolutely crazy.

A country by definition puts itself citizens first. Otherwise, why even have a country?

Well then, please tell us HOW keeping Americans in Afghanistan or backing the Saudis in Yemen on the taxpayers' dime is doing anything for America and Americans?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Not always. Not if you treat the needs of the rest of the world as if they're close to irrelevant, definitely not in our current age where personal issues are becoming more and more trivial compared to impending issues relating to whether or not the species survives the next few centuries.

We need to be more concerned about global warming, environmentalism, clean water preservation and inventing technologies to de-salinate ocean water more cheaply, potential future concerns about automation rendering too many jobs obsolete, the national debt, debris in space, that sort of important stuff: the oncoming challenges that could very well make our current time period seem blissful in comparison, if we don't solve those problems well enough.

Compared to that, I hardly care whether or not we build Trump's wall or let in the Syrian immigrants. That's why I vote yes on every gas tax increase I see. I don't even know if it'll accomplish anything positive. I just assume it probably will. I'll also probably vote yes on anything I see that would assist in the increase in the number of nuclear power plants around...but I haven't seen anything like that in my state yet.

My biggest concern about the future is that America won't be doing that bad because of our immense land area and wealth, and hordes of immigrants will want to pour in because climate change and coastal flooding has rendered their countries uninhabitable, we won't let in any of them because we'll have become too nationalistic. If that sort of thing happens, I want us to let in several of them, not all of them, but some of them...enough that we feel pain so that we want to alter the state of the planet.

Wow! Not much of a grip on reality right here.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

Absolutely crazy.

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies