Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 AM

197 posts, read 97,351 times

Advertisements

I saw an NPR article that liberals were commenting on and saying things such as "No, it should be human beings first 🌍 ".

Absolutely crazy.

A country by definition puts itself citizens first. Otherwise, why even have a country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 AM

24,296 posts, read 17,031,669 times
NPR... National Public Radio receives it funding from donors and the Government but they have no problem with biting the hand that feeds them when it comes to criticizing Trump and the GOP.

NPR is like a liberal think tank filled with crazy ideas. I used to listen to them all the time but I grew tired of them praising Obama for everything and when they were not talking about his glory they filled up the airwaves with the stories of gay men in the Middle East and their struggles.

I still listen to my local NPR on the weekends and they have dropped the stories from the Middle East but they have replaced it with Trump bashing and "the humanitarian crisis at the border".

The thing is there is no problem with floating ideas Liberal or not but when the story teller comes across as an expert and offers no other options then what is the causal listener to believe? Of course it should be human beings first but they forget that without a strong country that enforces its laws we have nothing.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,895,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I saw an NPR article that liberals were commenting on and saying things such as "No, it should be human beings first 🌍 ".

Absolutely crazy.

A country by definition puts itself citizens first. Otherwise, why even have a country?
Actually, no it isn't. Consider this. A company in which the employees don't work well together will fail. And that includes a company that doesn't offer good service to its customers, meaning outside individuals. Governments have to play nice with other governments. Isolationism is a tried and failed policy time and time again. How do we know this? We stopped doing it.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:41 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,517,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Actually, no it isn't. Consider this. A company in which the employees don't work well together will fail. And that includes a company that doesn't offer good service to its customers, meaning outside individuals. Governments have to play nice with other governments. Isolationism is a tried and failed policy time and time again. How do we know this? We stopped doing it.
There is a difference between America first and "everyone else never" while being a doosh. The Great Pumpkin needs to learn tact.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,815,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
There is a difference between America first and "everyone else never" while being a doosh. The Great Pumpkin needs to learn tact.
Pretty much and any discussion of nuance on the topic is met with protestations of idiots who are incapable of digesting anything longer than a 3 word sound byte.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,888,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I saw an NPR article that liberals were commenting on and saying things such as "No, it should be human beings first �� ".

Absolutely crazy.

Highly exaggerated presentation of the real situation.

The reality is that there is nothing wrong with our country having a clear identity and a strong coherent government.

Moving toward nationalism and isolationism is another story altogether.

When 60% of the goods that we consume are manufactured outside the USA, the idea that somehow the USA will be able to withdraw from the global marketplace is just a fantasy. This is one of the ideas that the isolationists babble about.

I can understand why our enemies like Russia would love for the USA to break ties with our NATO allies, another idea that the isolationists seem to support. I've not hear any logical argument explaining why that is an advantage for us.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 11-20-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,517,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Pretty much and any discussion of nuance on the topic is met with protestations of idiots who are incapable of digesting anything longer than a 3 word sound byte.
Schmoozing is an art. At my 2nd job we had this store manager. He was amazing.

He would walk straight up to the most angry crazy idiot who had stupid demands, tell them no or at least 80% no, and yet somehow 80% left smiling. 5 foot tall Hispanic guy. He was and still is an amazing person.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,493,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We can have an 'America first' agenda and not be isolationist. "America first" essentially just means our own citizens come first when it comes to arranging trade deals, spending taxpayer money, enforcing borders, etc. None of that changes our ability to engage in trade deals, allow legal immigration, stay involved in NATO, etc. We just want to make sure other countries aren't getting the better deal... the goal is to set up fair arrangements with other countries.

What's wrong with that?

In fact, using your own analogy, companies that don't look after their own interests first, will fail. If a company A makes a deal with company B, and company B gets the better end of the deal, how does that help company A?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:05 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,888,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
We can have an 'America first' agenda and not be isolationist. "America first" essentially just means our own citizens come first when it comes to arranging trade deals, spending taxpayer money, enforcing borders, etc. None of that changes our ability to engage in trade deals, stay involved in NATO, etc. We just want to make sure other countries aren't getting the better deal... the goal is to set up fair arrangements with other countries.

What's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with any of those things. It only becomes wrong when Trump gets involved. He is the first President that doesn't have the common sense to know when to keep his mouth shut, when to listen, and when to push. So he becomes very ineffective to accomplish any of these goals. In fact, he's so bad at this that there is risk he can permanently damage some of our relationships with allies.

Have to go back to Reagan to find a President that could negotiate from a position of strength and communicate well as the leader of the free world. Don't get me wrong there were a lot of things that Reagan did that were misguided. But it's no coincidence that his approach led to the dissolution of the USSR. I don't see any walls coming down under the Trump administration. In fact I see more walls going up.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,559,042 times
The very premise that Trump is the first President to put American interests first is absurd on its face. He's just the first to overtly act like a petulant boor with no regard for detail or nuance to the point where our allies no longer wish to deal with us, which appeals to the low information segment of the population that equates "America winning" with "America upsetting global order from which it has reaped huge benefits while angering our trade partners."

Processing and understanding "I have negotiated a extremely detailed trade deal that will be of great benefit to American end-users of products that utilize a global manufacturing chain" requires thought. "Down with China! TARRIFFS!!!" makes for a much better sound bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies