Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 02:29 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,447,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Working in the transportation industry, I can tell you there are many illegals that have been here for 15-20 years and they STILL cannot speak a basic sentence in English. There is ZERO incentive for them to do so or to learn our language. Everything they want and everything we hand to them can be obtained without the need to speak English, and we have no one but ourselves to blame for that. As far as those in the caravan, many of them are not even literate in THEIR OWN language. We are not receiving their lawyers, doctors, and scientists. We are getting their impoverished dirt farmers and angry unskilled/uneducated young men.
A cousin of my half-sister married an illegal alien which allowed him to become a green card holder. I don’t know if he is a full citizen. He was hired by the city parks as a landscaper because diversity, you know. These jobs are paid well plus have great benefits. He has been in this country for over 25 years. He had to take the pesticide application test and flunked it so took it in Spanish and passed. Huh, what? And, when they have these parties at my stepsisters house, he invites his friends and they sit elsewhere and speak Spanish. No, neither his kids nor his wife speak Spanish.

Okay, I lived in Italy for a year. By the time I returned home, I was fairly fluent except for some obscure tenses and vocabulary which you could always look up and use a close enough word. So, why can’t these people learn English? Granted, I think any of the Romance languages are easier to learn except for the gender assignment to nouns and pronouns and the possessives which you just have to memorize until it becomes natural. But, still 15 years plus and you still don’t speak English? Either lazy or not too bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 02:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,066,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
For Americans Living Illegally In Mexico, Life As An Immigrant Comes Easier
"About 1 million Americans live in Mexico, and many of them do so illegally. But it’s much easier to navigate life in Mexico as an immigrant without proper documents than it is in the United States."

Propaganda article that never defines "many" or gives even an approximate number. I know a lot of ex-pats and not one is "illegal" although some are in violation of their TIP (Temporary Import Permit) for their U.S.-plated cars which is limited to 180 days per calendar year. Out of a million, I have no doubt that some, as in maybe a few thousand, have overstayed their visa. But it isn't remotely analagous to living illegal in America.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually if the parents are deported the cost goes up. The kids remain behind as they are not deport-able. And they become legitimate welfare clients. So we pay even more money for their sustenance as they are kept by relatives or friends.

Many deported parents would want to take their kids with them, especially those without relatives here.

And the relative or "friend" must also be legal else out they go as well.

How would it cost us more to have the kid living with a legal aunt than with an illegal parent? Chances are the illegal parent was worse off economically.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
And stop with the nonsense. The vast majority of illegals now comes in by air not over the border.

But do they stay? A tourist who comes in on a tourist visa and stays a month too long is an "overstay" but not a burden. A student on a student visa who spends an extra year here is an overstay but not a burden.

But anyway, are you willing to go on the record and support a serious crackdown on overstays? Would you like to see us take steps to round up and deport overstays? Or are you just trying to divert and distract away from the illegal crossings problem?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
For about the 200th time the only rational way to get the immigration system back under control is to legalize most of the 11 million here. We are inevitably going to do so. The only question is when.

And for about the 200th time, just NO. No amnesty. No path to citizenship. It will make our long-term illegal immigration problem 10x worse just like the 1986 Amnesty for 2.5 million led us to having 20 million illegals.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Please - It is elementary simple. How many illegal aliens have the immigration people removed in the last 10 years? The answer is basically no one though almost a million Mexicans have chosen to go home.

So our immigration system at best can maintain the present population.

So you want to remove the 11 million. Just look at the existing system and how many can they remove each year?

And then note it gets harder. The older illegals have resources and will fight to stay. So add another factor of two or so.

So all you need to do is increase the size of the immigration force by a factor of 8 or so. Check what that costs.

And then figure out what happens when 5% of Los Angeles burns in the riots.

And then when you drive past all these obstacles figure out what you do with the mega immigration dept with no more illegals.

The answer lies in your own words. Almost a million have self deported. You remove incentives and make life so hard for an illegal that 5 million more make the same choice.

If they burn LA down in riots (disregarding that the Texan in me would want to give them a reward) then that solidifies that these thugs need to go and justifies stronger measures.

When we get down to the point of diminishing returns then we can consider amnesty for the final couple of million. Note, if they have "resources" then they aren't as much of a burden.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:55 PM

11,146 posts, read 10,913,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Okay, I lived in Italy for a year. By the time I returned home, I was fairly fluent except for some obscure tenses and vocabulary which you could always look up and use a close enough word. So, why can’t these people learn English?
I think this is very common for people from first world countries who tourist to other countries as well. I know I would not take a vacation to a country before having a basic understanding of the language, at least enough to be able to ask for things and return common courtesies/greetings. Doing this shows a certain amount of respect for the country you are visiting.

Quote:
But, still 15 years plus and you still don’t speak English? Either lazy or not too bright.
It is a hefty combination of both, and as mentioned above, a lack of respect for our country mixed with a strong sense of entitlement. Liberals are okay with this. They do not care as long as these people vote D and drop as many anchors as possible.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:02 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,264,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, you did not show me where I said that "ICE is hard to work with", I searched for that text and the only results were the posts in which you accused me of saying that. Since you have such a perfect recollection of me saying that- providing a link to the post should be easy for you, dontcha think?
Once again, here you go:

Sanctuary State Question

Quote:
And what I said about ICE agents being hard to work with is not fallacious, I've worked with ICE agents and for the most part they are disorganized and poorly trained.
How is this a good reason to block local LE from contacting ICE, pretty absurd.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,229,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
But do they stay? A tourist who comes in on a tourist visa and stays a month too long is an "overstay" but not a burden. A student on a student visa who spends an extra year here is an overstay but not a burden.

But anyway, are you willing to go on the record and support a serious crackdown on overstays? Would you like to see us take steps to round up and deport overstays? Or are you just trying to divert and distract away from the illegal crossings problem?
Absolutely. I favor a strong crackdown on all illegals. First step is to get the number of illegals down to the point at which the immigration system can contain it. I would look for something like virtually all illegal aliens are tracked down and their case finally resolved within 6 months.

Only practical route is a comprehensive immigration reform similar to the one that passed the Senate in 2013.

I would think a minor hand slap for a tourist who overstays a visa a few months and then leaves.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:23 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,447,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I think this is very common for people from first world countries who tourist to other countries as well. I know I would not take a vacation to a country before having a basic understanding of the language, at least enough to be able to ask for things and return common courtesies/greetings. Doing this shows a certain amount of respect for the country you are visiting.

It is a hefty combination of both, and as mentioned above, a lack of respect for our country mixed with a strong sense of entitlement. Liberals are okay with this. They do not care as long as these people vote D and drop as many anchors as possible.
I was there as a student studying art. In order to learn about Italian art, it helped to know Italian even though our classes were taught by an English speaking Italian. And, living in an Italian town in an apartment made it necessary to know the local language to buy groceries, converse with landlady, converse with local population, read the historical signs. And, learn about the best cheeses and wines. You are right; it is lack of respect. And, how did they become so disrespectful? Enabling SJWs and other ultra liberal types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies