Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 AM

19,690 posts, read 10,028,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Pfffft. The modern Thanksgiving is yet another holiday that requires women spend days cleaning, organizing, shopping, and cooking while men sit around on their butts waiting to be served. And don't even try to deny it. You all know it's true.
Not for everyone. This will be the first time in 40 years that I did not bake the turkey and ham. Last night I peeled boiled eggs to make deviled eggs. My wife is doing more of it this year because I have some health issues. In my family, even as a kid, we all helped.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:09 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,191,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thanksgiving has always been a fond remembrance of the English pioneers who built what would one day become the United States of America. So I guess it was inevitable, in this postmodern age, that the holiday would come under assault. Here PBS Newshour puts its seal of approval on a "growing movement" that is encouraging elementary school teachers to vilify the early settlers, stressing the diseases they brought and the massacres they committed

At 33:00, a Colorado teacher tell her kids, "So, are you guys ready to have your minds blown? So if you guys can take one thing away from social studies in 3rd grade, I want you to take away, the Pilgrims overtook the Native Americans and took everything that they had worked so hard for."

Apparently this is the current mainstream liberal view of Thanksgiving.
Apparently? So you take one example of something that has happened, and decide that it represents half of the country?

That is faulty logic and a hasty generalization.

So since I didn't get the memo--could you post it?

Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 AM

8,192 posts, read 3,392,330 times
I think it is current mainstream liberal thinking. The white settlers won and the natives lost. There are always winners and losers. The main reason the native Americans lost was the unintentional spreading of infectious diseases.

If diseases had not killed so many Indians, they might have won, since they may have been better fighters than the settlers.

I often hear liberals whining about how unfair "we" were to the Indians. And Columbus Day is hardly even celebrated anymore, because Columbus wasn't nice to the natives. Ok, maybe true. But is that a reason to completely ignore the courage it took to sail here, without even knowing where he would wind up?

Liberals seem to think everyone throughout history should have been as nice as they are. That is unrealistic. No human beings who ever existed were as nice as current day liberals. Seriously.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,695,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, it is actually true.

Did you know that the story you were told as a kid about how happy and buddy-buddy the Pilgrims and Indians were over turkey legs and stuffing is Fake News?

Not saying don't enjoy the day and have a good meal and be thankful for stuff, but seriously...let's not be daft to the fact that our forefathers did invade this land and systematically eradicated the inhabitants. They did. It happened. Not saying you have to apologize for it, but don't whitewash it either.
It maybe true because back then you get eaten alive by the Indians. You will be their Thanksgiving Turkey. Don’t believe me, google for the movie the Revennants by Dicaprio. I did. People were eaten alive by the Indians. Not sure which tribe, but it’s gruesom. So don’t kid yourselves that they were peace loving native Americans. They maybe now but not then. You may be the piece that they love to eat.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:45 AM

21,406 posts, read 10,485,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wrong. I am probably current mainstream liberal and I am excited about celebrating Thanksgiving. There are always revisionists who love to come out and say the opposite of whatever everyone else thinks. The story of the Pilgrims and the Indians is more complicated than that.

The Pilgrims wanted religious freedom. I don't think they knew much, if anything about any native population, they just wanted freedom. Furthermore, the first generation was on great terms with the Indians and it was only the second generation that fought each other. Also, the Pilgrims didn't intentionally spread diseases.

Tonight I watched a wonderful program on PBS called Pilgrims. At the end there certainly was sadness when the current Native Americans stop and think of the head of their leader (I think it was Metacomet), being chopped off and put upon a pole. They think of it as the end of their own era. That would make sense as that second generation and the settlers didn't get along at all. King Phillips War was widespread and tragic throughout New England.

But the PBS program was pretty well balanced. The Indians showed the Pilgrims how to plant crops, they formed an early alliance, they did celebrate the harvest. In balance, the Pilgrims suffered greatly, their ship went off course, they were expecting to be in Virginia, not frozen Massachusetts, most of them died the first year, but with luck and some great leaders, enough survived so that Plymouth can be said to be the first permanent settlement.

Whatever tv program you are talking about, it's just ONE nutcase teacher. Mostly that revisionist attitude does not apply. The Pilgrims were't as perfect as we were taught, but they were still exceptional people who endured a lot because of their beliefs.
I don’t remember being taught that the pilgrims were ever wonderful. They were religious extremists who burned people as witches, and were an incredibly repressive society. That being said, times were way different back then. The natives weren’t perfect either. We can’t change the past. I’m glad this country exists and that I was born here so I’m not going to cry in my cups about something that happened several hundred years ago.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They were all greedy white people who took the charity of the Natives living here before raping them, killing them, and stealing their land.

There is nothing pretty about the colonization of North America. It's high time they quit sugar coating it for children.
So what to do about it then? Who cares what people did a few hundred years ago? Should we leave or give up our property to the natives then? Just what is the point of all this? If it bothers you, wear a hair shirt and let the rest of us enjoy some good food and time with family.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:53 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,302,481 times
I'm all for historical accuracy (which many of the usual suspects decry and get all worked up over, calling it PC) but most political stuff on Thanksgiving usually revolves around a relative at the table arguing about politics.

Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Pfffft. The modern Thanksgiving is yet another holiday that requires women spend days cleaning, organizing, shopping, and cooking while men sit around on their butts waiting to be served. And don't even try to deny it. You all know it's true.
Not true everywhere. My husband cooks too.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:24 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,632,392 times
Quote:
And meanwhile, here in the real world outside C-D, women have already been up since the crack of dawn to make sure the turkey is ready to put in the oven while boiling potatoes and stringing green beans and making biscuit dough and...and...and....

To all the men out there who are spending their morning on C-D bitching about the politics of Thanksgiving, here's a suggestion: put down the keyboard and go give your wives, mothers, and daughters a helping hand in the kitchen.

LOL, ^^^ the look on their faces when they read your post. Women's equality right?

Old 11-22-2018, 10:43 AM

19,690 posts, read 10,028,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thanksgiving has always been a fond remembrance of the English pioneers who built what would one day become the United States of America. So I guess it was inevitable, in this postmodern age, that the holiday would come under assault. Here PBS Newshour puts its seal of approval on a "growing movement" that is encouraging elementary school teachers to vilify the early settlers, stressing the diseases they brought and the massacres they committed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wBMKlwm5U

At 33:00, a Colorado teacher tell her kids, "So, are you guys ready to have your minds blown? So if you guys can take one thing away from social studies in 3rd grade, I want you to take away, the Pilgrims overtook the Native Americans and took everything that they had worked so hard for."

Apparently this is the current mainstream liberal view of Thanksgiving.
So, the teacher did not lie. We were still killing them in the 1890s. At Wounded Knee almost 200 unarmed mostly women and children were slaughtered by the US cavalry and got medals for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies