Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 05:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
No reason to be ignorant of history.

No reason to fill children's heads with sensationalized garbage.

No reason to not enjoy your turkey and be thankful.

What is the issue again?
The basic issue is Western Civilization. It's been a big success, especially over the past 500 years. And people always resent the winners. Leftists see that resentment as a resource to be exploited. In tearing down Western accomplishments and traditions, they seek to position themselves on the moral high ground and create conditions in society which make radical change easier to accomplish.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Who are these people who seek to vilify everything that we boomers learned as children?

This is not a liberal or conservative issue. This is a fringe group who are insecure about their intellect and constantly need to think up new ideas to shore up their illusion of intellect. They don't mind attacking things that the rest of hold dear, because many of them have multiple national loyalties. This is what Judge Bork called "the chattering class".
I think there is an element of intellectual snobbery for people like the Colorado school teacher, the journalists who put the story together and some of the posters here. Postmodernism, and postcolonialism, which has spawned most of this anti-Western traditions crap, rule the social science departments of elite universities. And people want to be heard saying things they think some Harvard professor might say. I don't see how we can dismiss them as a fringe though. They're more like a plague.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:48 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
One person's opinion is now a "campaign"?

LMAO. Settle down and eat more turkey.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One person's opinion is now a "campaign"?
No. Why not watch clip I posted and find out what's being discussed here?

Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thanksgiving has always been a fond remembrance of the English pioneers who built what would one day become the United States of America. So I guess it was inevitable, in this postmodern age, that the holiday would come under assault. Here PBS Newshour puts its seal of approval on a "growing movement" that is encouraging elementary school teachers to vilify the early settlers, stressing the diseases they brought and the massacres they committed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wBMKlwm5U

At 33:00, a Colorado teacher tell her kids, "So, are you guys ready to have your minds blown? So if you guys can take one thing away from social studies in 3rd grade, I want you to take away, the Pilgrims overtook the Native Americans and took everything that they had worked so hard for."

Apparently this is the current mainstream liberal view of Thanksgiving.
Ya.
Settlers came and destroyed entire civilizations. That's called history.

Thanksgiving, however, has a much longer history going farther back.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:47 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It maybe true because back then you get eaten alive by the Indians. You will be their Thanksgiving Turkey. Don’t believe me, google for the movie the Revennants by Dicaprio. I did. People were eaten alive by the Indians. Not sure which tribe, but it’s gruesom. So don’t kid yourselves that they were peace loving native Americans. They maybe now but not then. You may be the piece that they love to eat.
I never heard about the eating settlers alive thing. But it is certainly a fact that the Native Americans were not pacifists!

It's easy to be a pacifist/liberal these days, when you are protected by a huge military. In prehistoric times, pacifists died quickly.

Liberals today celebrate "niceness" and victimhood. They despise toughness and they deny reality. I guess that makes them feel good, but they have to stop trying to force their delusions on the rest of us.

It will be a sad day for our civilization if they ban Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Are they complaining about it -- or just stating the facts.

Thanksgiving is based on a myth that the pilgrims and natives sat down to 'share a meal' and give thanks.

Blah blah -- not complaining but it isn't true -- lol. I still think it is lovely folks gather to eat, drink and be merry on Thanksgiving.

And you know what -- Jesus was not born on December 25th.

Not complaining -- just stating a fact.

Doesn't mean I think we should stop celebrating the birth of Jesus on the 25th I just know that he wasn't born on that day.

If that's 'b*tching' to you....you have an odd definition of the word.

Hope you enjoy your family and friends during Thanksgiving.
ah, ^^ common knowledge.

My post was in general. Liberals are always find a problem with everything. If you have an angry mindset you'll always find something to be triggered about. Liberals seem to be a miserable bunch.

Set yourself free of the anger... it's liberating for your soul.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:37 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I've got news for you. The Boomers started this entire anti tradition, anti American, WHITE GUILT crap. They are rejecting their own upbringing. It came out of the anti Vietnam War movement by vilifying anything American. They made it CHIC to hate your own country. It is not a fringe movement. It is mainstream Media, Education, Corporate America, and Government.

I don't feel guilty for being white. My people came over on the spaghetti boat in 1906 and had nothing to do with the Klan or other organizations that looked down on the Jews, Catholics or blacks. As far as Vietnam was concerned, we don't lose wars that we go in to win. What was the damned goal in Vietnam. Did we sacrifice 50,000 young men just to show the commies that we are willing to waste life too?

The group that you call America haters are a very small group that have no national loyalties. I am willing to lump Bush Jr. and Cheney into that bunch too, because wars like Vietnam and Iraq weaken America.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It maybe true because back then you get eaten alive by the Indians. You will be their Thanksgiving Turkey. Don’t believe me, google for the movie the Revennants by Dicaprio. I did. People were eaten alive by the Indians. Not sure which tribe, but it’s gruesom. So don’t kid yourselves that they were peace loving native Americans. They maybe now but not then. You may be the piece that they love to eat.
lol "don't believe me?! Then google a movie. or better yet, ask that guy who was on the Titanic"

Old 11-23-2018, 11:31 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And very few will stop and think about the labor that went into putting that food on the table while they're stuffing their faces: the people who farmed the turkeys, green beans, and potatoes, those who harvested, transported, and stocked them at the local grocery store. A few men might stop stuffing their faces long enough to thank the women who spent the day preparing the delicious feast before they all head off to the family room in their tryptophan coma to watch some sports while a woman or two treks back into the kitchen to pack up the leftovers and wash a mountain of dishes. Do I have a bad attitude about this holiday? Yeah, I do. I love my family, but I've now been in the kitchen for a couple of hours, and there's been not a stir from upstairs yet. Rest assured, though, that soon they'll stumble into the kitchen looking for something to eat and then stumble out again to act like slugs until the appointed hour. So you all continue your bitching and moaning about the politics of Thanksgiving, but maybe between posts, you could drag your sorry butts off the couch and offer to provide some help to the cook.
My MIL gave the blessing at dinner yesterday and specifically thanked the people whose labor provided the food we ate. Doing that was also in pretty much every blessing my father used to recite. Of course, he was reared on a farm and was once one of those laborers.

If you resent doing all the work, for goodness' sake give your family some jobs to do. Do they know how you feel?

By the way, the cooks were lavishly praised by all of the people at our table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies