Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Many of you who read my posts know that I've been a liberal for many years. I revere history and believe that the Confederacy had more than its share of great generals. Reverence for great men who believed in their cause should not be the source of controversy. As a native New Yorker, I object to the statue of Sherman on the corner of 59th and fifth in NYC. While it is believed that Sherman brought the Civil War to a quicker end, the total destruction caused by his march to Savannah and back up to Columbia SC as a new low in war. No one is calling for the removal of that statue. To Southerners who make the trip North to see the great New York City, the statue opens new wounds.

Stacey Abrams who ran for the governorship in Georgia last month and lost, called for the removal of Stone Mountain. When even black Georgians opposed this as an erasure of history, I can't imagine how this didn't galvanize white voters against her.

My only surprise is how her margin of loss wasn't larger.
Do Southerners actually remark the statue of Sherman 'opens new wounds' when visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
The south chose to separate from the north and have control of their own destiny. That is the same as when 13 colonies fought to separate from England. It is like when the Taliban blew up ancient statues in the middle east. "They were offensive".

Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Many of you who read my posts know that I've been a liberal for many years. I revere history and believe that the Confederacy had more than its share of great generals. Reverence for great men who believed in their cause should not be the source of controversy. As a native New Yorker, I object to the statue of Sherman on the corner of 59th and fifth in NYC. While it is believed that Sherman brought the Civil War to a quicker end, the total destruction caused by his march to Savannah and back up to Columbia SC as a new low in war. No one is calling for the removal of that statue. To Southerners who make the trip North to see the great New York City, the statue opens new wounds.

Stacey Abrams who ran for the governorship in Georgia last month and lost, called for the removal of Stone Mountain. When even black Georgians opposed this as an erasure of history, I can't imagine how this didn't galvanize white voters against her.

She was running against an unethical creep. People tend not to trust or like them.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:

MY
surprise is your silly attempt in the thread title to paint ALL Democrats with the actions of ONE.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:56 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Abraham Lincoln actually said if he could preserve the Union by letting slavery continue, he would.
That didn't extend to lionizing Confederate historical figures, and let's be straight about why such memorials are erected - to show the newly freed black community "who's boss," many decades after the Civil War. C'mon now.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:06 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
When the cause these generals were fighting for was founding a nation based on the enslavement of their fellow man, it's very understandable their will be some controversy.

I don't judge men's greatness by today's standards. I see that as a flaw where many liberals pass judgment on history's great men.

Henry Ford and Ben Franklin were anti-semites. They were both great inventors whose antisemitism should be no more than an asterisk on their names.

Columbus and subsequent explorers exploited the American Indians. They still discovered the new world for all of Europe. If you want to see exploitation and genocide try to understand what would happen if our radio messages into space reach some predator species like we are.

Last but not least, most white collar jobs are salaried starting at thirty thousand a year. If you don't think that it's not slavery to work sixty hours a week for 30K, try quitting.

Slavery would have evolved out of existence with mechanization anyway.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Do Southerners actually remark the statue of Sherman 'opens new wounds' when visiting?

Take a drive along route 16 in Georgia and stop in a roadside diner with your New York plates. By the time you leave you will wonder if they spat in your food.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:

Because Kemp was only partially successful in suppressing the votes in Georgia. But don't worry, they'll have voter suppression down to a pat science by 2020.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 AM

858 posts, read 423,934 times
Quote:
I don't judge men's greatness by today's standards. I see that as a flaw where many liberals pass judgment on history's great men.

Henry Ford and Ben Franklin were anti-semites. They were both great inventors whose antisemitism should be no more than an asterisk on their names.

Columbus and subsequent explorers exploited the American Indians. They still discovered the new world for all of Europe. If you want to see exploitation and genocide try to understand what would happen if our radio messages into space reach some predator species like we are.

Last but not least, most white collar jobs are salaried starting at thirty thousand a year. If you don't think that it's not slavery to work sixty hours a week for 30K, try quitting.

Slavery would have evolved out of existence with mechanization anyway.

Not sure where do begin with this post.

Neither Ford nor Columbus have gotten off easy regarding their history. I don't know if you noticed but Columbus Day has come under intense fire the past few years. I'm not understanding what your trying to get at here anyway, that our country is hypocritical because we lionize these men so much but come down hard on the Confederacy. I don't think that's really the case.

Your point about white collar jobs is a pure non sequitur. Of course, you can quit a 30K job if you want. To compare this to 19th century chattel slavery is pure insanity and your drivel about alien predators certainly helps point to your insanity.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Hey, no big deal. It was the Democrats who broke away, started the war, and wanted to create a new country based upon slavery. It is their monuments, their problem they created, let them solve it the way they feel will be best.

The Democrats lost the slavery battle;e, but still won the war as they got the blacks to support them at over 90% no matter what, when, where, and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies