Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we stop the NFL from marketing overseas?
liberal: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 1 2.86%
liberal: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 3 8.57%
conservative: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 2 5.71%
conservative: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 8 22.86%
independent: yes put the kibosh on these plans, pronto. 5 14.29%
independent: no, let the NFL do what they wish, even if it costs lives. 8 22.86%
other (please explain below). 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 05:49 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/22/look...-overseas.html

The NFL has realized that it can sell only so many $100 made-in-China jerseys to the US market. After all, we are only about 4% of world population. The league wants to tap into overseas markets. That's why they've held a game in London, and scheduled one in Mexico (it was cancelled).

I realize that we can't totally ban the NFL here in the US. It is like cigarettes and booze: too entrenched to ban. But I think that we could stop it from expanding overseas. If we had a deadly or disabling disease that broke out, wouldn't we do everything within our power to keep it from spreading to other countries? Well, the NFL is just that. We now know this from the studies of football and head trauma.

I think the congress should act to put the kibosh on these plans of the NFL. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
No that is just stupid. I'm moderate and let me say I work for a sub-contractor who works with the NFL. The NFL has gone international before though NFL Europe failed in the end. Mexico City and London have hosted neutral site games before and many have pushed for a team in London (which has logistic nightmares as does the neutral site games themselves.) If the NFL can figure out a way for a London team to work, I think it would happen bit logistically it won't.

As for government intervention to stop this, this is entirely overreaching and I'm for a number of government interventionary processes (FDA, EPA, tobacco, monopolies, etc.) This is just out of their reach.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,805 times
You phrased all the choices to get exactly what you wanted. Anyone disagreeing with you wants to kill people.

WOW, what rubbish!

The NFL is already selling their wares worldwide. The Superbowl is broadcast in 180 countries. 111 MILLION people watched SBLI and it was broadcast in 25 languages.

Do you even watch sports? What's the difference between a crossing route and an out route?

Where's the "This is the dumbest poll ever" choice?

Last edited by Originalist; 11-24-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 06:36 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Soccer causes brain damage too.

The NFL is free to expand and smart to move into other markets.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:50 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
You phrased all the choices to get exactly what you wanted. Anyone disagreeing with you wants to kill people.
The choices are accurate, though. Football has had numerous suicides due to the CTE issue. Several players have shot themselves in the chest because they wanted their brain intact, so that doctors could diagnose their CTE.

If you don't like the choices, well that is why I provided the 'other' option. Guess you didn't bother to read the poll before you ranted about it.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:04 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/22/look...-overseas.html

The NFL has realized that it can sell only so many $100 made-in-China jerseys to the US market. After all, we are only about 4% of world population. The league wants to tap into overseas markets. That's why they've held a game in London, and scheduled one in Mexico (it was cancelled).

I realize that we can't totally ban the NFL here in the US. It is like cigarettes and booze: too entrenched to ban. But I think that we could stop it from expanding overseas. If we had a deadly or disabling disease that broke out, wouldn't we do everything within our power to keep it from spreading to other countries? Well, the NFL is just that. We now know this from the studies of football and head trauma.

I think the congress should act to put the kibosh on these plans of the NFL. What do you think?
Who cares? The market will determine the value of the NFL. I haven't watched a game in at least 15 years.

Other countries have lots of sports franchises: Australia: basketball, cricket, soccer, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Aussie Football. Similar for lots of other countries. Russia and Middle East may enjoy watching.

I just really see see no way that the NFL will get a meaningful marketshare in most countries. US Football requires large squads, lots of gear, lots of willingness to play really boring positions (offensive lineman) while a few (receiver QB) grab the glory. Even just watching it is an endurance sport - hours-long games punctuated by 10 second plays and frequent commercials.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:07 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The choices are accurate, though. Football has had numerous suicides due to the CTE issue. Several players have shot themselves in the chest because they wanted their brain intact, so that doctors could diagnose their CTE.

If you don't like the choices, well that is why I provided the 'other' option. Guess you didn't bother to read the poll before you ranted about it.
You should read up on CTE issues in rugby both union and league. Also in Gaelic football, and Aussie Rules Football. CTE issues do not seem to stop those sports.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM

11,250 posts, read 11,022,956 times
I don't see a problem with a team in London. There are ways to make that work logistically.

I am against seeing a team in Mexico. They are a third world country that needs to get their act together first.

I'm fine with seeing an expansion team in Canada, but they already have the CFL, so that would likely create issues.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
They can do whatever they want to do, they own it, not me.

So at that, no more public funding for stadiums, zero, nothing. Any "home team" game played overseas or anywhere other than the home stadium, if the stadium received any public financing, then they need to prorate the amount back tied to the negative economic impact of not having the home game.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:16 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Unbelievable poll. As in I can't believe people literally do think this way.

I've decided I don't like chocolate. It is addictive, and simply makes people obese; it serves no other purpose.

There is NO QUESTION we should put the KIBOSH on chocolate. Of course, this is in keeping with the fact that government regulations can regulate our society into Utopia, without question. In fact, the more regulation the better.

I will be sure to break the poll into liberal, conservative, and independent choices, for some reason. Oh, I'll also be sure to word the choices "No, leave chocolate alone and allow thousands to continue to die of obesity every year".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies