Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Liberals are the ones always pushing for lowered standards, easing of requirements, eliminating courses, doing away with standardized tests - because they claim these things are unfair to minorities who cannot possibly meet the requirements whites and Asians must meet. They're saying black people are stupid all the damn time.
You're exactly right. Liberals are pretty much saying "blacks and Hispanics are too stupid and lazy" to meet the same standards as the rest of us.

This is what keeps Liberals/Democrats in power, making poor people of color believe that they need the white guilt liberal to climb the social ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 03:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You're exactly right. Liberals are pretty much saying "blacks and Hispanics are too stupid and lazy" to meet the same standards as the rest of us.

This is what keeps Liberals/Democrats in power, making poor people of color believe that they need the white guilt liberal to climb the social ladder.
You've posted some pretty negative things about black folks, even though you're black. No different, in fact, than what you're saying liberals say about them.

So I'm a little confused by your sudden concern regarding what liberals are saying when you've said basically the same thing.

Never mind, I'll just write it off as Cons-speak.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:45 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
You've posted some pretty negative things about black folks, even though you're black. No different, in fact, than what you're saying liberals say about them.

So I'm a little confused by your sudden concern regarding what liberals are saying when you've said basically the same thing.

Never mind, I'll just write it off as Cons-speak.
I will also write it off as hypocrisy. Said person expressing concern about what liberals say about Blacks and at the same time, basically being negative towards Blacks.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:47 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
No:

Unless you consider the fact that while liberals may talk down to blacks, republicans prefer not to talk to blacks at all
Talk about your wild generalizations.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I admit to dumbing down my language -- when I speak to anyone under 35.
So you think I'm dumb. I'm 32 years old.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As a teacher, so many of my fellow teachers that are white liberals constantly display a soft-bigotry against black people without realizing it and while thinking that they are actually helping.

If you expect less out of a certain "community" of your students you tend to get less.
I was a student in a conservative county in middle school and high school. I've been around teachers who were White conservatives that didn't expect much from Black students. Sounds like this mentality isn't particular to liberals.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
G_M, I get what you're saying but I'm not reading it the way you are. A good example of what you're talking about can be seen in the late comedian Ralphie May's 'Just Correct' (it's on youtube) he does some of that. And I get that a speaker may use different wording to be able to relate to different audiences. And it makes sense to speak in a more relaxed, informal manner when speaking before families than when speaking before business people.

But they're saying speakers try to appear less competent and say, "it’s also possible that this is happening because people are using common stereotypes in an effort to get along,†Dupree says.

What's the stereotype? This doesn't sound like a good thing to me - it sounds like dumbing down.
This started out with me giving my own experience. Silverkris mentioned code-switching and I went on from there. I mentioned earlier that I got comments like "you sound white". I was dealing with situations where some people looked at me being weird for not code-switching or not speaking Ebonics. I mentioned in other states that I never dealt with liberals dumbing down their speech to speak with me.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This started out with me giving my own experience. Silverkris mentioned code-switching and I went on from there. I mentioned earlier that I got comments like "you sound white". I was dealing with situations where some people looked at me being weird for not code-switching or not speaking Ebonics. I mentioned in other states that I never dealt with liberals dumbing down their speech to speak with me.
There are so many good responses one can give to that idiotic statement, but you're probably too polite to stoop that low.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
On the bold, it is more about the way candidates/speakers speak to a majority black audience. If you have sat through speeches by a particular white liberal, you notice how they change how they speak and the diction they use when they address a majority black audience versus others.

I'll note on a person to person basis in regards to white liberals, I personally feel that many of them are kind of....I can only say "fake" when they speak to me. They often do change their tone of voice and speak to me in a voice that I'd reserve for children or people who you want to feel really good. I think it is them being uncomfortable in many ways and afraid to say the wrong thing in the wrong way. White conservatives I know, it is weird to me that they often will just blatantly say/ask something stupid about race instead lol. So it is opposite sides of the spectrum depending on the political leans. The silly voices and being too...I call it "extra" from the white liberals though is just as amusing to me as some white conservative telling me out of the blue how "well behaved" some black kids he saw were acting at school. I usually don't say/do anything in response to those liberals in their "extra" voice but when asked/told something silly like that I usually respond in a way that the white conservatives seem not to like (example - I asked that man why he thought black kids were "bad" and does he think white kids are "bad" at school to where he'd be impressed that they weren't - he got mad about this BTW which was silly to me - this conversation was in GA at one of my kid's soccer games. My kid was the only black kid on the team and my son was sitting there being bored and he was telling me how "good" my son was like he expected my kid to be some hooligan lol then went on to gush about how "good" some black kids were at a school he visited as if that were a compliment to me - it was silly. The white liberal moms/dads got beet red BTW lol). Will note I've also been told/asked some silly things by white liberals as well. Recently some white liberal woman I know was speaking of how black women are "oppressed" by not being involved in a "period movement" or being allowed to speak about our menses!! She'd read some article about this (written by some black women BTW) where the authors stated black women were jealous of the "freedom" of white women to bleed and have sex on their periods. I told her not to buy into media pieces as that one in particular was heavily sterotyping black women and that is a pet peeve of mine (hearing stereotypical rhetoric) so I told her not to think silly things in articles apply to all black women. I don't know any black women jealous of white women (I surely am not) and black women get just as freaky as other women on their periods if they want too. Oftentimes the silly stuff white liberals speak to me about is them trying to act like they are a "white ally" of mine for some cause they think I'm invested in just because I'm black when I'm not interested in or invested in their generic internet "movements" and black women not being more likely to use diva cups doesn't mean we are oppressed. It probably means that they (like myself) don't like them, simple as that. Liberals like to make everything a "movement" or cause, but I do love them for that sort of spirit just like I love conservatives for being blunt and honest.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Residinghere2007, I've heard it. It's a sing-song voice dripping with fake compassion and empathy, meant to convey that they understand how hard life must be for you because you're black.

That's just as ignorant. I don't quite get why people can't relax and just be themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies