Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times

Advertisements

My milenial kids are laughing at everyone who mocks them.

They are making more money at 28 and 30 than most of those that suggest these kids have no work ethic, etc. and mock their limitless vacations, snacks at work and being able to work from home and pick their hours.

Jokes on us baby boomers who have been trying to work towards that kind of work environment for 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 AM

18,429 posts, read 15,177,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

They are making more money at 28 and 30 than most of those that suggest these kids have no work ethic, etc. and mock their limitless vacations, snacks at work and being able to work from home and pick their hours.

Jokes on us baby boomers who have been trying to work towards that kind of work environment for 40 years.
We run our group like a small business. You work more, you make more. You work less, you make less.

When I first finished my residency, I wanted to work as much as possible. So did my colleagues at the time. After all, you are basically slave labor for many years, and THEN you suddenly have this amazing earning potential. Who is their right minds would want to waste that?

Most of our new hires out of recent years residency programs, are the opposite. They want to work as little as possible. Somehow, they still want to gat paid a lot, but that is not how it works, at least in my group. They all want “day positions” 7AM to 3PM, which is fine because we do need day doctors, but they are earning half as much as they could be making. Plus, as non-call takers, they will never become partners where the earning potential is even higher.

I’m 49 and work more than twice as many hours as they do. Why would they not want to earn a nest egg while they are still young and full of energy? It boggles my mind. Especially when it is not some paper pushing job, and you are doing things that are usually a lot more interesting than what you would be doing sitting at home.

I often count myself lucky because I know there will be plenty of work for me in the future without having to compete with the younger docs for hours, but I wonder what is going to happen when us Gen X’ers are too old to do the 24-30 hour shifts.

Clearly this wasn’t directed at your kids, just Millenials in general.

But to the OP, the name doesn’t matter. It is the stereotype that matters. If you were called the widget generation, you would still be thought of the same way, its just that the negative connotations in your mind would apply to the word “widget” instead of “millennial”.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:02 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,734,646 times
OP, grow up. my generation was named the baby boomers, so what? some people like to label things and people for some reason. why worry or fret about it, its no skin off your nose.

all you can do is be the best person you can be, and work to be better than you are now. if you dont whine about something you cant control, and work to be better than you are now, and learn to stop thinking about yourself all the time, people wont label you.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:15 AM

294 posts, read 218,496 times
If I had any say in this matter the Millennials would be called the Millhouse generation.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,480,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
It's not enough we couldn't just be known as Gen Y but some idiots had to be cute by giving us the stupid "Millennial" designation which has been used to joke and make fun of it ever since. The oldest of us are pushing 40 yet that gets tossed around like we're all still children. You look at the generation before us, Gen X and they may have gotten some criticism from when they were young but they weren't constantly beat over the head with it and had some stupid out of date name to go with them and still be used against them well into adulthood.

It's like being forced to wear a scarlet letter our whole lives no matter how mature, responsible or old we get. Clearly whoever coined the term never thought of how stupid it was and the long-lasting implications. We already had Gen X and thus we would be Gen Y so why the need to add something so stupid that would clearly fast become out of date? And yes, I do know why we were called that; denotes those that would come of age near the turn of the millennium, but still, it just really sounds out of date and old fashioned and I really hate how the term has been used against us as something to bash us for something we had no part in creating.
Umm... that's because we became of age around the time of the millenium...

Way to live up to the "snowflake" stereotype bro.
If you're going to get worked up over something, or have something define you by "generation", you have alot of room for improvement.

Just saying.

Old people gonna old people and yell at the clouds and get off my lawn. Some day we will judge the window lickers behind us for eating tide pods. I already do

I just let them run their mouth make their assumptions, smile and nail em with the fact it is their doing that undermined us and I can prove it. Nothing irritates a boomer like being told they're wrong, and going out of your way to prove them wrong.

But if your only crowning achievement was being born between 78 and 92... well... you need to work on that...

Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,311,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
It's not enough we couldn't just be known as Gen Y but some idiots had to be cute by giving us the stupid "Millennial" designation which has been used to joke and make fun of it ever since. The oldest of us are pushing 40 yet that gets tossed around like we're all still children. You look at the generation before us, Gen X and they may have gotten some criticism from when they were young but they weren't constantly beat over the head with it and had some stupid out of date name to go with them and still be used against them well into adulthood.

It's like being forced to wear a scarlet letter our whole lives no matter how mature, responsible or old we get. Clearly whoever coined the term never thought of how stupid it was and the long-lasting implications. We already had Gen X and thus we would be Gen Y so why the need to add something so stupid that would clearly fast become out of date? And yes, I do know why we were called that; denotes those that would come of age near the turn of the millennium, but still, it just really sounds out of date and old fashioned and I really hate how the term has been used against us as something to bash us for something we had no part in creating.
That you are aware that Gen X even exists impresses me.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,809,984 times
The worst part is how we criticize those with different views and philosophies. We all do whether it is different locals or times we grew up.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:45 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,480,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

LOL it is quite entertaining when it's boomers who
1. Educated us from kindergarten-college.
2. Raised us.
3. Required us to hold X degree, Y years of experience for Z pay.
They did that to spread the wealth to the college professors and to protect their jobs from being axed for a younger more efficient generation.
-*boomer*- Hehe, I'll fix those Lil bastards. Hey kid. Want a job? You'll need a degree. Oh. And you'll need 3-5 years worth of experience.

That'll show em.

Hey kid. Want to make money? Listen to your teachers and take their words as if it's the gospel truth. Don't get involved in skilled trades, manual labor. You're better than that. Those career paths are beneath you.

Get into programming and IT the market is going to be saturated with them. And while we are at it, we will farm out the jobs to visa holders

Oh what's that? Can't find affordable houses? BWAHAHA HAHAHAHA
That's right we condemned you using your God given hands and tools to buy a fixer upper. We pumped crap in your head and told you, you absolutely need a relatively newer home. Oh and we rigged the game against you via "property value" so your taxes are extremely high

Because I can't afford the taxes when I retire I lied and said housing is an "investment" i'm taking my pension selling the house to make 200k more than what I bought it for cry about the capital gains tax a little, and go retire in Florida and live like a king, and tell everyone how we do things back home

And then there's me.
The one who was raised by old school boomer parents who weren't helicopter parents and put me to work at 13.
31. Owned a house I that completely renovated.
Moved out of the chit hole state of NY.
Own a business.
All possible by doing the opposite of what boomer teachers and professors told my generation to do. Bare hands first hand experience in skilled trades and tools.

I do know alot of other millennials who are either under paid. Under employed. Or stuck living in a place with high costs of living pissing their money away in rent because property taxes are sky high.

I rub it in my highschool teachers faces via Facebook ROFL
I can just imagine this is their face seeing one that didn't listen or buy into the BS they spewed.

A few were deeply troubled by pics/videos of being at shooting competitions with the very rifles they preach against
I can imagine this would be their face.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:53 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,417,214 times
... the stupid "Millennial" moniker

Gen Y is a stupid moniker. They all are. Who makes up this drivel, anyway?

Old 11-25-2018, 06:38 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,250,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I am guessing it is the lumping of everyone into a group and then the negative stereotyping of that group that annoys. As it should. I actually like the sound of the term Millennial, but of course the definition has been painted and attached as something not positive. That is awful and I do not understand why our culture allows that to happen. I remember when a sub group of my Baby Boom generation was labeled Yuppie. That became a negative. For some reason if one was young, upwardly mobile in job and education and a professional it was "bad". Ouch.

My advice. Move on. Make a mark take a stand and live your best life. Perhaps with your generation truly entering the heavy part of your "warrior years" the differences and advances that most certainly will be made by you, will naturally change the connotation of the term.
Sound advice.

Never allow others to define you.

There will always be someone who will try, but in the end, it's what you and your generation accomplish, not them, that will be remembered.

You have all the advantages of youth. Use them, prove the fools wrong, and watch them be buried in disgrace. Revenge is a dish best eaten cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies