Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:51 AM

75 posts, read 54,518 times

Advertisements

It's not enough we couldn't just be known as Gen Y but some idiots had to be cute by giving us the stupid "Millennial" designation which has been used to joke and make fun of it ever since. The oldest of us are pushing 40 yet that gets tossed around like we're all still children. You look at the generation before us, Gen X and they may have gotten some criticism from when they were young but they weren't constantly beat over the head with it and had some stupid out of date name to go with them and still be used against them well into adulthood.

It's like being forced to wear a scarlet letter our whole lives no matter how mature, responsible or old we get. Clearly whoever coined the term never thought of how stupid it was and the long-lasting implications. We already had Gen X and thus we would be Gen Y so why the need to add something so stupid that would clearly fast become out of date? And yes, I do know why we were called that; denotes those that would come of age near the turn of the millennium, but still, it just really sounds out of date and old fashioned and I really hate how the term has been used against us as something to bash us for something we had no part in creating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 02:56 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
You really think "Gen Y" sounds cooler?

Old 11-25-2018, 02:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
It's not enough we couldn't just be known as Gen Y but some idiots had to be cute by giving us the stupid "Millennial" designation which has been used to joke and make fun of it ever since. The oldest of us are pushing 40 yet that gets tossed around like we're all still children. You look at the generation before us, Gen X and they may have gotten some criticism from when they were young but they weren't constantly beat over the head with it and had some stupid out of date name to go with them and still be used against them well into adulthood.

It's like being forced to wear a scarlet letter our whole lives no matter how mature, responsible or old we get. Clearly whoever coined the term never thought of how stupid it was and the long-lasting implications. We already had Gen X and thus we would be Gen Y so why the need to add something so stupid that would clearly fast become out of date? And yes, I do know why we were called that; denotes those that would come of age near the turn of the millennium, but still, it just really sounds out of date and old fashioned and I really hate how the term has been used against us as something to bash us for something we had no part in creating.
Actually, originally Gen X was called the Baby Bust & Millenials were called the Boomlet. Like that better? This all came from the same fine folks who named my generation the Baby Boom. Ya want to go through life with that designation?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:03 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
I used to think "Gen X" was cool. The novel "Generation X", published in 1991, was about people who were my age at the time. But then demographers decided I was just a boring tale-end boomer.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
It doesnt really matter, because no one uses the term correctly.

The youngest Millennials are around 22 to 18(depending on when you define the start of Z)

Old 11-25-2018, 03:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You really think "Gen Y" sounds cooler?

Right. Millennial definitely sounds better to me. Plus, I think it's fitting. It's the Millennial generation...or their children, that will bring us out of these dark times.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:49 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
I am guessing it is the lumping of everyone into a group and then the negative stereotyping of that group that annoys. As it should. I actually like the sound of the term Millennial, but of course the definition has been painted and attached as something not positive. That is awful and I do not understand why our culture allows that to happen. I remember when a sub group of my Baby Boom generation was labeled Yuppie. That became a negative. For some reason if one was young, upwardly mobile in job and education and a professional it was "bad". Ouch.

My advice. Move on. Make a mark take a stand and live your best life. Perhaps with your generation truly entering the heavy part of your "warrior years" the differences and advances that most certainly will be made by you, will naturally change the connotation of the term.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I am guessing it is the lumping of everyone into a group and then the negative stereotyping of that group that annoys. As it should. I actually like the sound of the term Millennial, but of course the definition has been painted and attached as something not positive. That is awful and I do not understand why our culture allows that to happen. I remember when a sub group of my Baby Boom generation was labeled Yuppie. That became a negative. For some reason if one was young, upwardly mobile in job and education and a professional it was "bad". Ouch.

My advice. Move on. Make a mark take a stand and live your best life. Perhaps with your generation truly entering the heavy part of your "warrior years" the differences and advances that most certainly will be made by you, will naturally change the connotation of the term.
Bingo.

I know there has always been conflict between generations, it's as old as time, but the bashing has gotten completely out of hand lately.

I remember when the term "yuppie" first came to be. It wasn't an insult, it just meant a young professional, usually a city-dweller. Then, somehow, it was adopted as an indictment of the whole "greed is good" mindset. Something similar has happened to the term "politically correct." It used to mean nothing more than not acting like a racist, sexist asshat. Then it, too, became in insult, and now, for the love of God, it's even used as a weapon against people who do nothing more than call out rude behavior. "Not PC" has become a badge of honor for those who resort to name-calling and personal insults in a way that would make their parents cringe.

I digress a bit with the above, but the point is the same: Baby Boomer isn't a bad thing. Millennial isn't a bad thing. When you attack someone on the basis of their age and nothing more, you are including in that condemnation your parents, your grandparents, your children, nieces and nephews, and grandkids.

Enough.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
As a person born at the very tail end of the Baby Boomer generation (which I don't identify with at all) it seems that all these "generations" have some sort of negative to them. Right now, the Baby Boomers seem to be vilified for being "old", stealing social security, and staying at their jobs too long and now allowing the youngers to flourish.

It happens with everyone.

What I wonder about is why, it seems, the "Millenials" are so bothered by their negative stereotype? Who do they think is pushing the stereotype. I think it's just down to too much time on social media and reading memes too much. If you were off social media, you'd probably be clueless that it's going on. I can assure you that the majority of Baby Boomers are not into social media and aren't pushing that narrative. So it's probably your own age group that's doing it. My parents, squarely into the Baby Boomer generation, have no clue about the Millenial stereotype.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:38 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
What is not cute is free lunch, snacks and game time at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies