Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

For the first time in several administrations, we are seeing companies moving offshore operations back to the U.S., ....
You have been misinformed.

"Manufacturers like Hessaire are part of a growing move to “re-shore” manufacturing jobs that were once lost to countries such as China and Mexico. T[b]he Reshoring Initiative, a group that focuses on bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., estimates that between 2009 and 2016 more than 250,000 jobs were created or brought to the U.S. from other countries."

Why some manufacturers are returning to the U.S. | PBS NewsHour

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-26-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm not sure, but I think self-driving cars are more apt to be shared vehicles. You get 5 people sharing a car, instead of each of those 5 buying their own car. Thus, demand for new cars will go down as more people use self-driving ones.

Imagine a situation where most people don't own a car and, instead, pay for each ride instead. In that scenario overall demand for autos would go down, because most cars that are produced would be shared vehicles.

Now, I don't think it would actually ever be that extreme, but it doesn't need to in order for overall vehicle demand to trend downwards.
Yes, that is the way it will be...eventually, but not anytime soon, heck, it will be many years before they even make self drive mandatory, so we still have probably around a decade of a combination of manual cars and self drive.

It just seems VERY premature to cut your workforce down, when this technology is just getting started.

They havent even switched to self drive tractor trailers yet!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:38 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Don't even get me started on that abortion they called a Camaro either.

They ought to be ashamed.
Ford redesigns the mustang... meh.
Chevy comes back with the camaro... That car is what I picture syphilis feels like.
Fugly.

Dodge comes back with the Challenger Oh Hell Yeah.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
shrub/Obozo, bailed out GM, and they still haven't paid back...GM slapped the taxpayers in the face and opened up a assembly plant in Mexico

Gm should have been left to die

no more bailouts of failed companies

Old 11-26-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The government imposing massive tariffs on imports is government control of the markets. It never ends well, as we are seeing right now.

NAFTA doesn't get better by changing the name and tweaking minor details. It is still the same 'free trade' deal.

Job growth is down, well below the average of past years, so that's not much to celebrate.
I can't speak for all small businesses, but I closed my own down because the tax bill was a kick in the teeth. It ended up costing be thousands more in new taxes.

I am glad you are optimistic about long term, but it seems the government meddling is hurting us, and I think it will only get worse. The tariffs were supposed to reduce trade deficits, but the deficits went UP, not down, because other countries are importing even less from US now.
Oh, you and your insistence on reality.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Clinton didn't make promises she couldn't keep, she was honest with the coal miners and those in the rust belt. Trump ran on bringing back manufacturing jobs, he lied.

Where are we getting all those new factories from the corporate investments from the tax breaks.

jobs are coming back, to include manufacturing jobs

we should not have bailed-out failed companies

Old 11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, that is the way it will be...eventually, but not anytime soon, heck, it will be many years before they even make self drive mandatory, so we still have probably around a decade of a combination of manual cars and self drive.

It just seems VERY premature to cut your workforce down, when this technology is just getting started.

They havent even switched to self drive tractor trailers yet!
No company can afford to get that many people employed and idle while a product is under development. Self driving cars aren't going to be available to the masses for many years. The technology just isn't completely there yet.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Where are these manufacturing jobs that you speak of?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Don't even get me started on that abortion they called a Camaro either.

They ought to be ashamed.
Ford redesigns the mustang... meh.
Chevy comes back with the camaro... That car is what I picture syphilis feels like.
Fugly.

Dodge comes back with the Challenger Oh Hell Yeah.
Yes

Old 11-26-2018, 10:58 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
jobs are coming back, to include manufacturing jobs
Tell that to people in Wisconsin who have to fork out up to a million bucks for each FoxConn job "coming back".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies