Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:41 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Some criminals never learn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...5MC?li=BBnb7Kx

Quote:
If a would-be burglar in Tulsa, Oklahoma needs any advice, it’s to stay far away from Charles Sweeney's property.

Just over five years and a month since Sweeney shot a man who was breaking into his house, the same thing happened Tuesday morning -- except this time, the situation turned deadly.

"He comes into view, and BLAHM, that 9 millimeter is real loud inside the house," Sweeney told FOX23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
Directly from the article:

"Tulsa Police briefly interviewed Sweeney before letting him go and said that people have the right to defend themselves in their homes.

"If you are in your home and you have an intruder come in and you feel that you are in fear of your life or the life of someone else who may be in your home, you are well within your rights to defend yourself,” Captain Karen Tipler told FOX23. "

I have no problem with this, but I will treat anyone breaking into my house as a threat to my life and the life of my family. And if the burglar dies while in the commission of a crime then that was their fate.

My best friend when he was alive; he worked for HomeLand Security as a counter terrorism agent, and he would indicate I never sought out to take someone life, but when someone else comes at me and has made the conscious decision to kill me, then they forfeited their lives.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
I’m not sure the homeowner is completely exonerated on this. I live in the Tulsa area and he was interviewed on camera claiming he shot the perp in the back after he(perp) had said he was sorry and turned his back to the homeowner. The perp may have been shot trying to flee.

My personal opinion is the perp got what he deserved and there should be no charges. But, the prosecutor may think otherwise.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I’m not sure the homeowner is completely exonerated on this. I live in the Tulsa area and he was interviewed on camera claiming he shot the perp in the back after he(perp) had said he was sorry and turned his back to the homeowner. The perp may have been shot trying to flee.

My personal opinion is the perp got what he deserved and there should be no charges. But, the prosecutor may think otherwise.
This may prove to be a problem for this homeowner if he said this on camera.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
Quote:

A firearms instructor I once knew indicated that the very best outcome from a fatal shooting, is you the person who shot someone else; the very best that you could hope for is exactly what you already have.

No charges will be filed against you, no civil law suit, no jail time. And that is the best outcome, of course it can only get worse from that point. Hopefully it does not for this person.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:27 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
The simple solution to this problem is not to break into his home... Not a hard concept to understand.

If you're a criminal, being shot and/or killed is a occupational hazard... It's been that way since the beginning of time.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
The simple solution to this problem is not to break into his home... Not a hard concept to understand.

If you're a criminal, being shot and/or killed is a occupational hazard... It's been that way since the beginning of time.
Criminals are inherently the stupidest people alive. Expect this to happen again.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
A firearms instructor I once knew indicated that the very best outcome from a fatal shooting, is you the person who shot someone else; the very best that you could hope for is exactly what you already have.

No charges will be filed against you, no civil law suit, no jail time. And that is the best outcome, of course it can only get worse from that point. Hopefully it does not for this person.
Tulsa police and prosecutors are generally on the side of the homeowner. I’ve yet to here of a homeowner being charged for shooting a perp. On the other hand, a liquor store owner went to jail for shooting a perp that was already down and not presenting a threat. In both cases, I’m with the owners. IMO, the home is sacred ground and perps are fair game no different than a rabid dog. Same goes for anyone who uses a gun in a crime, as was with the case of the liquor store robbery. Yet, the store owner is doing time.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Wait a few hours and see if the sheriff/police make a drive-by. Then grab the shovel.
Saves on the further hassles and time wasted, this guy would have caused you.

Who knew he was there?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:

I basically agree, but I am a little concerned that he shot him a second time after he said sorry and turned around. Plus the shooter's pretty callous demeanor. Throw on top of that the fact that the house seemed to be in serious disrepair. He may have even believed the house was abandoned.

That doesn't give him the right to "invade" the house, but I find it really difficult to sympathize with the homeowner. Seems like he overreacted, and basically enjoyed what he did.

I guess I feel like anyone who kills another person should feel a little remorse, especially if the person died right next to you on the floor of your bathroom. Not remorse like you wish you hadn't shot them, but remorse that you felt forced to shoot them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies