Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,937,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh he gets facts wrong, as do you.
Unlike me however, you folks never own up to them - kind'a like the President.

Aside from that, I'm OK with the fact that he found that another city was having that water problem. All that additional factoid did was bolster my point that other cities WILL be having this issue - especially here out west.

If you know of another city where treated sewer water is being pumped into the drinking supply please feel free to post a link. It won't upset and indeed will again add to my point.

Ken
Nah, we had a disagreement on each others opinions in a different and unrelated thread, unless of course you were mistaking your opinion for fact? I simply pointed out on this thread that you made up what you thought was a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 02:39 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,251,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nah, we had a disagreement on each others opinions in a different and unrelated thread, unless of course you were mistaking your opinion for fact? I simply pointed out on this thread that you made up what you thought was a fact.
Nope, didn't "make up" anything. I simply passed on what was in the article: "...Now, El Paso is on track to become the first large city in the United States to treat its sewage water and send it directly back into its taps...."

The fact that the article's writer was unaware of the fact that El Paso is apparently the 2nd place to do that rather than the 1st is just the way it is. Or maybe the author doesn't consider Orange County a city. I would - which is why I accepted the article about Orange County, but maybe the author doesn't. Who knows, I sure don't and neither do you.

Ken

PS - I can't help pointing out that YOU apparently just "made up a fact" when YOU claimed that I "made up a fact".
Oh, the irony.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 11-30-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 02:41 PM

17,928 posts, read 27,336,509 times
Quote:
"El Paso to drink treated sewage water due to climate change drought

Typically the river can supply as much as half of the city's water needs. But climate change is making that increasingly difficult and is pushing the city to look for new sources of water. Now, El Paso is on track to become the first large city in the United States to treat its sewage water and send it directly back into their taps...."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/healt...aso/index.html

El Paso is the first, it won't be the last.
Do you want your water regular - or chunky style?
Mmmmmmm.

Ken
All water on this planet is all we ever had and all we ever will have. Tampa Bay residents drink water from the Gulf of Mexico. Why? Because they can afford to and because they have to.

It's all in how much you treat the water. Sand filtration and polishing, RO, etc get the job done but is it affordable and what do you do with the brine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Or coal.... <gasp>. Anthracite filters are superior to sand because it fractures into odd shapes. They last much longer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...e+filter+media
They sound wonderful.

How much do they cost per year at say 10 to 200 mgd?

Quote:
Yeah, I know that ALL water is recycled, that's kind of a no-brainer. The question is - aside from the "ick" factor - how WELL will it be treated before it is returned to the drinking supply? There ARE standards, but whether or not they will be followed remains to be seen. Remember what happened in Flint?

Ken
They are followed very well until the Government aka EPA get involved.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...rs-epa-claims/

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If it meets acceptable clean water standards then what is the problem?
Flint Michigan on the Great Lakes has contaminated & substandard "natural" water.
This.

What was being called Waste Water is now being called Water Reclamation because that's what we are really doing with it.

Nature has been doing this for many years, but WWTPs or WRFs are speeding the process up.

Go back to the Clean Water Act and come forward to present day and see what we're doing with biological and in some cases chemical treatment tertiary etc. and it starts to make sense.

Take a river from a mountain town and follow it out to the plains. Ask yourself where the upstream effluent goes and where the downstream influent comes from.

Oh, and here's another question... Where do you think cow peepee goes and how does it taste compared to Roscoe's?

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-30-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
All water on this planet is all we ever had and all we ever will have. Tampa Bay residents drink water from the Gulf of Mexico. Why? Because they can afford to and because they have to.

It's all in how much you treat the water. Sand filtration and polishing, RO, etc get the job done but is it affordable and what do you do with the brine?
Yeah, I know that ALL water is recycled, that's kind of a no-brainer. The question is - aside from the "ick" factor - how WELL will it be treated before it is returned to the drinking supply? There ARE standards, but whether or not they will be followed remains to be seen. Remember what happened in Flint?

Ken

Old 11-30-2018, 02:50 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Sand filtration and ....

Or coal.... <gasp>. Anthracite filters are superior to sand because it fractures into odd shapes. They last much longer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...e+filter+media

Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Nope, didn't "make up" anything. I simply passed on what was in the article: "...Now, El Paso is on track to become the first large city in the United States to treat its sewage water and send it directly back into its taps...."

The fact that the article's writer was unaware of the fact that El Paso is apparently the 2nd place to do that rather than the 1st is just the way it is. Or maybe the author doesn't consider Orange County a city. I would - which is why I accepted the article about Orange County, but maybe the author doesn't. Who knows, I sure don't and neither do you.

Ken
Always a best practice to read critically rather than blindly accept what you read. Some no-name from CNN isn't trustworthy enough for me to blindly accept everything they say.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Always a best practice to read critically rather than blindly accept what you read. Some no-name from CNN isn't trustworthy enough for me to blindly accept everything they say.
Except that, until just now, you apparently didn't read it (or or least didn't read it very well) when you claimed that I "made up a fact" when in fact the "fact" I supposedly "made up" was simply something in the article (right or wrong) - so clearly I DIDN'T MAKE IT UP (in spite of your claim).

As I said - Oh the irony about you claiming I made it up - when in fact you made up the claim that I "made it up".
Too rich!

Ken

Old 11-30-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
"El Paso to drink treated sewage water due to climate change drought

Typically the river can supply as much as half of the city's water needs. But climate change is making that increasingly difficult and is pushing the city to look for new sources of water. Now, El Paso is on track to become the first large city in the United States to treat its sewage water and send it directly back into their taps...."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/healt...aso/index.html

El Paso is the first, it won't be the last.
Do you want your water regular - or chunky style?
Mmmmmmm.

Ken
Quote:
Except that, until just now, you apparently didn't read it (or or least didn't read it very well) when you claimed that I "made up a fact" when in fact the "fact" I supposedly "made up" was simply something in the article (right or wrong) - so clearly I DIDN'T MAKE IT UP (in spite of your claim).

As I said - Oh the irony about you claiming I made it up - when in fact you made up the claim that I "made it up".
Too rich!

Ken
Don't hurt yourself stretching there buddy.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Don't hurt yourself stretching there buddy.
What 'stretch'?
You made it up.
YOU made up the "fact" that I "made up" the claim that El Paso was the first city to do this - when in fact, I didn't make up anything.
YOU DID however, when you accused me of that.

Ken

Old 11-30-2018, 03:10 PM

39,002 posts, read 50,981,006 times
Most cities in the eastern (humid) half of the US are drinking water with a substantial treated fraction. It's not direct, as the treated effluent first goes into the river and then is pumped out by the next town, but it works out the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies