Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 AM

8,326 posts, read 4,307,932 times

Advertisements

If you want to attack songs, listen to some of these and compare them:

Marvin Sease “Condom On Your Tongue”
Eezy E “I’d Rather F*** You”
ODB “Shimmy Shimmy Ya”
Project Pat “Let’s Run A Train”
Three 6 Mafia “Slob On My Nob”
2 Live Crew “We Want Some P****”

There are many others that are vulgar and sexually explicit and you want to get upset about "Baby its Cold outside"? I think some people need a serious reality check not to mention how stupid it is trying to put a political spin on the topic to begin with. Personally I do not think the OP gives a whit about the song lyrics. They are just looking for another way to degrade a political party they dislike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 234,904 times
That song is absolutely a prelude to date rape, and I don't think it's a great idea to play it over the radio.

That said, I really like that tune and any other Rat Pack/Nat King Cole/Bing Crosby/Elle Fitzgerald-type interpretation of classic Christmas songs, and they're always on when I'm in the kitchen this time of year.

I completely understand why some folks find "Baby It's Cold Outside" offensive, but it isn't one-tenth as offensive "Jingle Bell Rock." The opening guitar riff of that song is like a dentist drill.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,285,651 times
I mentioned in another thread that I am far from young and I've never been sexually assaulted, but even I find the song a little creepy. I've never liked it. Commercial Christmas songs are generally obnoxious, and very rarely are they even tangentially related to the holiday. Christmas music is something you hear in church and has a religious foundation, which is anathema to Top 100 radio, so we end up with music like Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer at this time of year rather than O Come, O Come Emmanuel. I've never considered myself particularly prudish, but today I hear stuff on the radio that makes my jaw drop, stuff that is completely inappropriate for polite company. You want to celebrate Christmas with music? Fine, but let's please remember what it's supposed to be all about and stop pretending that this 74-year-old song about a guy hoping to get lucky has anything to do with it.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,505,466 times
Since I loathe pretty much all XMAS music, by all means please, boycott them all. The constant barrage of these inane songs for 3 months every year just make me grateful for public radio. If I could escape hearing them in stores, doctor offices and other public places it would be great.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,404,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
That song is absolutely a prelude to date rape, and I don't think it's a great idea to play it over the radio.

That said, I really like that tune and any other Rat Pack/Nat King Cole/Bing Crosby/Elle Fitzgerald-type interpretation of classic Christmas songs, and they're always on when I'm in the kitchen this time of year.

I completely understand why some folks find "Baby It's Cold Outside" offensive, but it isn't one-tenth as offensive "Jingle Bell Rock." The opening guitar riff of that song is like a dentist drill.
I hate when it's played in the grocery store, and someone starts whistling along. It's like adding insult to injury.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,064,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Since I loathe pretty much all XMAS music, by all means please, boycott them all. The constant barrage of these inane songs for 3 months every year just make me grateful for public radio. If I could escape hearing them in stores, doctor offices and other public places it would be great.

How do you boycott a song?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:45 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,241,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsunkown View Post
I kid you not basically the lyrics dog whistle for date rape.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/us/ba...rnd/index.html
How is this a "Liberal" thing, as your title implies?

And, it seems that your analysis is that it IS a "dog whistle for date rape". So are you saying that because you think Liberals are against Date Rape, that you are for it? You didn't say that, but your OP sure does lead one to think that:
1. You think it is bad that "Liberals" are wanting to ban this song
2. That you openly think is advocating date rape

What is your point, or do you have one?

I'm a liberal, I'm Jewish, and I wish people Merry Christmas. Sometimes I'll say "happy holidays" if I'm not sure of the context, but I default to Merry Christmas. I put lights up in my house, and I wear red and green at the company "holiday" party. (Their name for it, not mine.)

There is no attack on Christmas. Only a bunch of irrelevant pseudo-conservatives trying to drum up some victimhood to get attention.

Last edited by Myghost; 12-03-2018 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM

5,716 posts, read 3,226,540 times
PEOPLE NEED TO GET A GRIP!!!
We didnt have these damn issues 30 years ago!!
People weren't such snowflakes then like they are today

Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM

950 posts, read 737,692 times
I challenge the damn libs that hate Christmas to just stay at work, if you even work, and don't take anytime off during the holidays. Just go about your pathetic lives and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 AM

41,777 posts, read 74,795,954 times
There's no war on Christmas, for Christ's sake.

The radio station in question is owned by the mainstream corporation CBS Radio. Hardly "liberal". LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies