Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep you are right. No one knew that Democrats made such a mess of it. You do realize that you can be a multi millionaire and you can still get OC subsidies right? That's just one example.
Subsidies are based on income, not assets.

While I doubt most " multimillionaires" apply for subsidies, this is a change that could have or could be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
While the ACA has some essential features like requiring coverage of pre-existing conditions without increased premiums, and extending the age for health care coverage of young adults, in many ways it is a far cry from being a good program. That's because the Republicans forced the chopping of key features - their obfuscation is largely the reason for an extremely complex system and the reason the effectiveness varies so much from State to State. Republicans may claim bitterly about how much the hate the ACA, but let them try to take away that pre-existing condition coverage - guaranteed that will blow up in their face.
Not everyone who hates the ACA is a Republican.

Everything isn't Blue vs. Red.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

So uninsured people have always been covered. And they have always known it. They still know it. Go through the emergency waiting room and see for yourself.
This is not universal health care... this is the very definition of robbery because (I posted the link) a large portion of the accrued cost are never paid back to the hospital. These are irresponsible people that rely on the hospital and others to pay for their services.

This is the core problem with our system. Optional health care insurance and mandatory service.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This isn't robbery no more than mandating automotive insurance to drive is robbery or the tax dollars you pay for police and fire departments.

We cannot cover everyone's visit unless everyone is mandated to participate and put into the system.

As I said,

We either make insurance optional AND allow hospitals to turn away patients regardless...

OR

We require hospitals to give service AND make insurance mandatory.

Nothing is free.
I can opt to not owning a car, can I opt out of my body as well?
again if the government is going to continue to take my earnings from me they need to provide ... all of my needs. Just as the slave masters provided for their slaves.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We're going into our 4th year of the ACA, and I'm extremely grateful too. I remember back in the 80s and 90s when we couldn't afford health insurance except for catastrophic.
When you rob from Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Pauls support. Am I grateful for increased costs and lower quality, no.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
We Americans already pay TWICE as much for healthcare as compared to every other developed country with their eeeeeeeebil soshalist healthcare systems. Oh and we get worse outcomes for twice the money.

Tell me again how awesome and efficient capitalism is for every problem under the sun...

Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I can opt to not owning a car, can I opt out of my body as well?
again if the government is going to continue to take my earnings from me they need to provide ... all of my needs. Just as the slave masters provided for their slaves.
They are not taking ALL of your earnings from you, so no, they don't need to provide for ALL of your needs.

Stop driving on roads if you don't want to pay taxes. Don't call the fire department if your house catches fire if you don't want to pay taxes. Don't call the police department if you are a victim of a crime if you don't want to pay taxes.

Better yet, remove yourself completely from civilized society and go live under a rock. No one will bother you for anything there.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Insurers have changed plans, since forever.
Employers have switched plans, since forever.
Healthcare providers have had the ability to opt-in/out of plans, since forever.

Nothing within the ACA prevented plans from changing.

Then along comes Trump who repeatedly promises to " replace Obamacare with something wonderful that will take care of all the people".

Within weeks after the inauguration, Trump says " no one knew healthcare was so complicated." It became obvious to the most casual observer, that Trump, his family and handpicked closest advisors did not know and there was no plan to replace Obamacare, to back up his promises.

One lie begets another, eh.
1. Even given what you wrote above, Obama still lied. 2013 Politifact Lie of the Year. And some people were glad in 2008 that he got elected, didn't like what he did in his first term, didn't want him to get reelected, yet are to this day glad that he was elected in 2008 (still better than Hillary or McCain).

2. Some of us (don't know about the person you are replying to though) don't like ACA, and also aren't Trump supporters/voters, or even Republicans...so we aren't being hypocritical, and are under no obligation to defend Trump. Everything isn't us vs. them.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When you rob from Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Pauls support. Am I grateful for increased costs and lower quality, no.
Where is the GOP's plan?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:15 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Legend has it that whenever a person gains access to healthcare, a conservative in the wilderness somewhere turns to stone. This is why conservatives abhor it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies