Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:06 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The difference is that we had a choice to not buy the insurance if we thought it was a crappy deal.
The difference is that in health care, hospitals are required to provide service regardless of insurance or ability to pay.

Car insurance for example, it is driving privilege is tied to insurance.

For health care, health care isn't tied to insurance. If you make hospitals required to provide service, we should make health care insurance (or ability to pay for it) required. If you want optional health care insurance (or proof of ability to pay), then hospitals too should have the right to turn away the dying and sick.

Honestly... I'd be ok with the draconian approach of letting people die if they were irresponsible to make sure health care costs can be covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:07 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I never had to deal with those obscenely high deductibles before Obamacare, so I don't say thank you for Obamacare, I say **** you Obamacare.
I sure did, decades ago. I could only afford a catastrophic insurance policies for years and years.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The difference is that in health care, hospitals are required to provide service regardless of insurance or ability to pay.

Car insurance for example, it is driving privilege is tied to insurance.

For health care, health care isn't tied to insurance. If you make hospitals required to provide service, we should make health care insurance (or ability to pay for it) required. If you want optional health care insurance (or proof of ability to pay), then hospitals too should have the right to turn away the dying and sick.

Honestly... I'd be ok with the draconian approach of letting people die if they were irresponsible to make sure health care costs can be covered.
What do you mean "if they were irresponsible"?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:11 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What do you mean "if they were irresponsible"?
If a person didn't make sure that their health care costs were covered either by assets or insurance, they are being irresponsible. Just as irresponsible as driving without liability insurance.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
I'd be ok with the draconian approach of letting people die if they were irresponsible to make sure health care costs can be covered.
Low income people can just eff off and die right?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
The difference is that we had a choice to not buy the insurance if we thought it was a crappy deal.
No one forces you to purchase insurance from the Marketplace. You just have to buy insurance. You can choose where you want to purchase insurance from.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:14 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Just making everything about race. The way of the world. Obamacare is awesome, unless you're a WASP, then you pay out the ying yang for it... I've opted to pay the penalty (thanks Obama!) every year, it's waaaaay cheaper than Obamacare.
It's interesting. There is an arch conservative (white) guy here in my town who had no insurance and refused to participate in Obama care. About two months ago he had a full blown stroke. About 10 days in ICU and acute care, 2 weeks in rehab, now outpatient therapy. Go fund me has been able to raise about 1/15th of his total bill.

This guy is likely not going to be able to go back to work and owes way over six figures for his health care which he will never pay off.

But that'll never happen to a you though. Right?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
I've paid in nearly $100k over the past four years, in addition to the significant increases in my premiums. How do I make a withdraw?
If it makes you feel any better, I would *gladly* trade my stage IV cancer diagnosis with your lack of health issues so you would feel like your health insurance is a good buy.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If a person didn't make sure that their health care costs were covered either by assets or insurance, they are being irresponsible. Just as irresponsible as driving without liability insurance.
So, what you're saying is that if someone has turned to Obamacare for his or her insurance needs, they should be left to die, because it's subsidized?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:17 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I'm a "WASP" and I pay less than a dollar a month.
So your subsidy is probably at least $400-500/month. That would be what others have to make up for your free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies