Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the FCC clamp down on provocative lyrics?
Yes, it is way past time to do so. 10 16.13%
No, but reinstitute moderate, voluntary controls along the lines of the Hays Code. 2 3.23%
No, leave the lyrics and entertainment industry alone. 49 79.03%
other (please explain below). 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:39 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times

Advertisements

No. God no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:40 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
....i'm starting to see a very obvious trend here with these scripted threads...and it's none other than furthering division between both parties.
Yep.

Just another day here in the City-Data Political section, unfortunately.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Nope.

I grew up when the radio was "voluntarily" censored.

Believe me, the lyrics that we (incorrectly, as it turned out) imputed to "Louie, Louie" were far worse than anything I've heard from today's current pop idols.

Also, I watched the Arianna video. Reaction? Meh. I do like the lines where she threatens divine punishment for people who harm her sisters, though.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I'm seeing a trend of posters who believe themselves to have psychic powers, in particular the ability to read minds and motives over the internet.

Oh c'mon travis, you are a hit and run thread starter. It seems you like to get reactions rather than holding an interest in open-minded dialogue.

It doesn't take ESP to understand the painfully obvious.

The short answer for another stupid poll: NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
How about this? People who want to listen, can. And people who don't want to listen, don't. Everyone wins.
EXACTLY! A perfectly Libertarian answer. If it doesn't hurt anyone else do whatever you want because it is no one's business but your own.

I can remember when 1/2 the stations wouldn't play Elton John's "the b|tch is back"! How tame and naive self-censoring is. Self-censoring is no better than being the PC Police. It's all authoritarian BS!

Last edited by Originalist; 12-02-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ever hear of Britney or Christina or Mariah or Miley or.................Madonna ? Checkout their stuff and get back to us.
So we just allow this sexist garbage to go out unrestrained? What about the females who are not 36-24-36? How do you think all of this makes them feel? Ever hear of bulimia? Ever hear of anorexia?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Tipper Gore took on this issue years ago, and people laughed at her. It turns out she was right.

LOL, yea that worked out well. I recall seeing a shirt with the "Parental Advisory" sticker on them, there is bands that wanted that sticker on their album. It was a joke then and it's a joke now, about the only thing that accomplished was highlighting content that had racy lyrics.

It the parents job to monitor what their kids are listening too and in this age with instant everything you might as well forget it because it's impossible task. There is no way for you to control the content they have available to them. The only thing you can do is educate them and talk to them.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
So we just allow this sexist garbage to go out unrestrained? What about the females who are not 36-24-36? How do you think all of this makes them feel? Ever hear of bulimia? Ever hear of anorexia?
It has been going on since before recorded music started, for goodness sake!

You missed your decade. Back in the 1950's preachers were calling rock and roll music the biggest threat to our society that we've seen in the last 50 years! Back then the lyrics were tame; it was the "jungle rhythms" that was supposedly inducing young people into having wild sex.

When I was coming of age, in the 60's and 70's, I remember the same outcry. This time it was the lyrics. But honestly, being just a kid, I hadn't even noticed the meaning of the words. I just enjoyed the music.

That is, until someone like you came along...

Old 12-02-2018, 06:49 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
There is music I like and music I dont. The nice thing these days is there are a LOT of choices for listing. Broadcast, streaming, satellite, Pandora, Amazon and a dozen more that allow you to pick and choose very specific types of music. Not to mention all the MP3 players, phones, tablets, blue tooth ear buds and speakers....

If you are listening to music you do not like, you can only blame yourself.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ever hear of Britney or Christina or Mariah or Miley or.................Madonna ? Checkout their stuff and get back to us.
Or Howard Stern? His language can get obscene and gross on his Sirius radio show. It's just downright offensive. Some people won't listen to it because of that. But apparently the initial poster fears some people won't get offended or grossed out.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:55 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
So do all of you naysayers believe that we should just eliminate the FCC complaint process? Should we just allow the 7 prohibited words on the public airwaves? The N-word? Anything goes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies