Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No it's not over the top. Presidents and their families deserve that mark of respect just for serving...no matter the party they belonged or how the current administrations felt about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Not really. I don't see a reason to idolize any politician.

A most excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Some of the people bitching about the Post Office being closed tomorrow are the same ones who ***** when it's open.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
GHW and McCain are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Yet they get a day of "mourning."

Steve Jobs didn't get a day of mourning, and he did more positive things for this country than every single President in American history combined.

Good points. The first gulf war and all the neocons that surrounded GHWB paved the way for the two endless wars we are still in.

I would like anyone to explain how the world and country is in a better place now because GHWB was president for 4 years.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good points. The first gulf war and all the neocons that surrounded GHWB paved the way for the two endless wars we are still in.

I would like anyone to explain how the world and country is in a better place now because GHWB was president for 4 years.
To be fair, every president since Reagan has had almost identical positions on foreign policy, perhaps it can be taken back even farther. The US has a long history of being very aggressive militaristically.

I absolutely believe in the idea of a just war, but how many just wars has the US been in, in the last 50 years? Not many...

Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
To be fair, every president since Reagan has had almost identical positions on foreign policy, perhaps it can be taken back even farther. The US has a long history of being very aggressive militaristically.

I absolutely believe in the idea of a just war, but how many just wars has the US been in, in the last 50 years? Not many...
One could say a response was necessary after 9/11 and I would say yes but we made the totally wrong response because we were using 9/11 as an excuse to have a strong military presence in the middle east something the neocons wanted from the time of GHWB being in the White House.

None since WW2 have we made a just military war overseas. And I am not just picking on GHWB. Our foreign policy since WW2 is horrible and caused Americans way more harm than good. Only beneficiary is the military industrial complex.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:52 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This was not done when Johnson (died in 1972), Truman (died in 1973), Nixon (died in 1994), Reagan (died in 2004 or 2005) or Ford (died in 2006 or 2007) died. I'm not necessarily a Trump critic, but why now?
Yes it was!
I don't remember a postal or Federal court shutdown for those deaths. For which one was there?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't remember a postal or Federal court shutdown for those deaths. For which one was there?
Apparently your memory is faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
this was done for all of them

Presidents of the United States, usually on the day of their funerals (beginning with John F. Kennedy these days are also considered Federal holidays). The most recent are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_day_of_mourning

Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I'm not saying he's JFK but other than his Presidency he:
  1. Was the youngest fighter pilot in WWII.
  2. Was shot down, much like Kennedy was sunk. They said it was a miracle they found him, a needle in a haystack.
  3. Was the head of the CIA.
  4. Was a Representative.
  5. Was an Ambassador to the UN
  6. Was Chairman of the RNC
  7. It's not like he did nothing. When he became the President is when the wheels fell off that cart.
  8. Afterward, his foundation has helped hundreds of vets. Redemption, somewhat.
He joins the pantheon of former presidents who had great accomplishments in all but their presidential intervals, and whose presidencies were mediocre or poor. Those include:
  1. John Adams (great trial lawyer, co-drafter of the Declaration of Independence, Ambassador to England, and great patriarchal figure after leaving office);
  2. James Madison (co-wrote the Federalist papers)
  3. John Quincy Adams (Ambassador to Russia, Speaker of the House;
  4. Andrew Johnson (remained loyal to Union, and was Senator after leaving office);
  5. William Howard Taft (Supreme Court justice, job he really wanted);
  6. Herbert Hoover (great wartime relief administrator, both wars); and
  7. Gerald Ford (House minority leader, considerable post-presidential business and charitable activities).

Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Following a directive issued by Trump, the USPS and other national agencies will be closed tomorrow for a national day of mourning. He was a good president but closing the offices is a little over-the-top, isn't it? Especially considering Trump's previous critical attitudes toward the family.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news...ay-of-mourning

It's a matter of logistics. You're from TX, I assume from your profile. So basically you've never driven through DC traffic. It would have been exponentially worse, for both government workers AND private businesses, if federal workers still had to commute to work today with basically the entire city of DC shutdown due to road closures. When federal workers have off for days like President's Day, the commute is an absolute breeze for private industry workers because of how many contractors and federal workers are off the road in the region. Giving the day off simply helps out logistically for private industry workers. Plus, let's be real, this doesn't happen every single day, nor even every year. Every President deserves their due. Carter, Clinton, W, Obama, and even DT will all deserve a state funeral.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This is disturbing, but I suppose it figures that it's a directive from Trump, clueless as always.

In actuality, Bush was probably a mediocre president - no historian seems to rank him even in the top third - but he now looks much better in comparison with Trump. We can see how Bush is being praised for his decency, his humility, his courtesy, his lifetime of service - all things that are totally lacking in Trump. But Trump may figure he can appease Republicans, especially because Trump may be facing Mueller soon.

But apart from the fact that the holiday hurts businesses, it's so totally clueless of someone to abruptly close post offices when there are certainly people all across the country waiting anxiously for checks in the mail, or something equally needed.
How ironic you use the term clueless in your post. You do realize this isn’t the only president to do it, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies