U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,650,211 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else get the feeling that we are re-living what occured in Berlin in 1936?

Persecution of a minorities, talks of boycotts, using the games for political (showcase) purposes...

Economic trade with the PRC is not changing them, other than making them richer. Any businessperson that has gone there knows the restrictions and lack of freedoms. The communist party there is not going to cede power, nor loosen it's grip on that country.

Is this 1936 all over again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:54 PM

additional information:

I do not know how to re-open my original posting to add this, but I am adding this as it came up after my original post:

It is an article that now appears this afternoon, and is sort of relevant to the post:

Laos fears China's footprint - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM

19,269 posts, read 20,147,764 times
Dominos, anyone?

Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM

54,140 posts, read 38,214,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Dominos, anyone?

THAT game lost favor during the Vietnam era

Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
No;but I wasickened to see the violent protest in UK today on TV.This is a political event and evrybody is always trying to make it a political one. Shame really.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No;but I wasickened to see the violent protest in UK today on TV.This is a political event and evrybody is always trying to make it a political one. Shame really.
I think that you meant to say that it is a "sports event and everybody is alway's trying to make it a political one..."

And, that is the point of my thread...Is the PRC using it to their political advantage?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Anything dealing with China is a political event. The Olympic Committee should have picked Saudi Arabia or Burma if they wanted less controversy. China deserves all the scrutiny that can be mustered by the world community and I only wish that a boycott of the Olympics was more feasible.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 AM

30 posts, read 63,177 times
Why you are afraid of the Chinese Olympiad, or you envy it and want new Olympiad in your USA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The communist party there is not going to cede power, nor loosen it's grip on that country.
Ah what bad communists do not wish to concede authority, and that present communists in China have made that one of over powers of the countries, you about it have forgotten, or to cede that authority to you ?
Your democrats and republicans do not concede authority another too !

Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,831,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatum View Post
Why you are afraid of the Chinese Olympiad, or you envy it and want new Olympiad in your USA?

Ah what bad communists do not wish to concede authority, and that present communists in China have made that one of over powers of the countries, you about it have forgotten, or to cede that authority to you ?
Your democrats and republicans do not concede authority another too !
Atleast I can insult my government, and protest them without being shot at or arrested.

I think the beijing olypmics will go down as one of the worst cause of the whole protests at the beginning and the excessive polution to the point that the training camps are being put in other countries such as S Korea and Japan.

I'd support a full boycott if it didn't shaft our athletes. But I do support boycott of the beginning.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 AM

30 posts, read 63,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Atleast I can insult my government, and protest them without being shot at or arrested.
It agree! It is bad! But if to think, how to keep order in the country where 1.3 billion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies