Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 AM

717 posts, read 452,869 times

Advertisements

So...a number of my friends and even family members closest to me have shown privacy concerns over the news and facts about potential Facebook privacy mishandlings. Things like search habits and more. But I beg to differ and I’ll lay out the reasons why in this thread.

Now let me say this much:

Firstly, I understood from Day 1 that pretty much every click anyone makes on the Internet is not private. But I knew this for years and I make the technology choices I make because life is mortal, 100 years from now I won’t be here and nobody will know or even care about my 2018 private identity unless I do something grandiose good or bad, in which case it would be known with or without Facebook. So I make the choice freely to risk my privacy each time I use the Internet and I’m ok with it. Credit cards have fraud protections, accounts can be changed, nothing revealed keeps you from being you. Even stolen email accounts and password hacks are unlikely but however debilitating, question is what pieces of this will be as meaningful to anyone else as they are to you?

Secondly, Per the illustrative life Actuarial tables used by Life Insurance Carriers, I am in my 30s my chance of surviving to next year on Average due completely to chance is 499 out of 500. My chance of an identity theft upping this 1/500 default mortality risk is a negligible fraction. LIFE itself is a privilege. Life itself is a risk. Every second wasted is a risk of money and energy lost.

Thirdly, I’m not that special and neither are you. I have 2 eyes a nose and a mouth. My genes were passed down to me like yours were. I am 1 human with a record of behaviors that fit quite predictably in a statistical dataset even when we think we are so unruly. We all have our skeletons in the closet, we all have our sexual fancies, we all have our hobbies and likes, and we all have different hats we wear to different people.

Fourthly, the person who spends the most time worrying about what is my identity ...is me...and you is you ...what someone would take of another is money or a creation, but whatever anyone does steal from you is extremely devalued by the fact you have the juice to keep creating and producing and that person can only take a finite thing from you.

In summary, I am me and I control me as long as I keep my head up high.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I dont have a problem with companies like Facebook selling information. It’s a free service, so they need to make money in other ways. I do have problem with cherry picking what is considered fake news or not or becoming a political weapon directly.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
You have been assimilated.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
So...a number of my friends and even family members closest to me have shown privacy concerns over the news and facts about potential Facebook privacy mishandlings. Things like search habits and more. But I beg to differ and I’ll lay out the reasons why in this thread.
You gave no positive reasons for support. You only gave rationalizations for ignoring their actions. That's not close to convincing.

Life existed just fine before Facebook. Facebook, its profiteering, political tampering, and privacy invasions are not positive contributions to a free society.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I dont have a problem with companies like Facebook selling information. It’s a free service, so they need to make money in other ways. I do have problem with cherry picking what is considered fake news or not or becoming a political weapon directly.
I don't think you understand how much information companies have on you and to whom they sell it and how that affects YOU.

With relational databases, they can put together a picture of your life that is or is NOT accurate. They then sell this information to other companies that make decisions on matters such as YOUR credit rating, mortgage rate, insurance eligibility, landlords use it to make decisions on renters, etc. etc.

None of this information is disclosed to you. In ALL cases you have no clue why you turned down for insurance or a job.

AND it is not just Facebook. Costco, in the past couple of years, got in trouble for selling prescription information to other businesses. They obviously forgot that HIPPA pertained to prescriptions. They have no problem selling your purchases such as alcohol, tobacco, and other products you purchase from them. Think a future employer might be interested in your prescriptions before they decide to hire you??

I wonder why President Clinton refused to release his health information and prescriptions when he ran for President??

So does Safeway with their loyalty card. There a persons grocery purchases were used in a civil trial to paint the customer as a alcoholic since they purchased more than the medium amount of alcohol used in this country.

I think we need a law similar to the credit law where everybody tracking your personal information is required to give you a copy of the information they sold and to whom they sold it to on an annual basis.

Good luck getting that passed. The Europeans are leading the way on this issue. Hopefully, they will get it right and we can then pass our own laws.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understand how much information companies have on you and to whom they sell it and how that affects YOU.

With relational databases, they can put together a picture of your life that is or is NOT accurate. They then sell this information to other companies that make decisions on matters such as YOUR credit rating, mortgage rate, insurance eligibility, landlords use it to make decisions on renters, etc. etc.

None of this information is disclosed to you. In ALL cases you have no clue why you turned down for insurance or a job.

AND it is not just Facebook. Costco, in the past couple of years, got in trouble for selling prescription information to other businesses. They obviously forgot that HIPPA pertained to prescriptions. They have no problem selling your purchases such as alcohol, tobacco, and other products you purchase from them. Think a future employer might be interested in your prescriptions before they decide to hire you??

I wonder why President Clinton refused to release his health information and prescriptions when he ran for President??

So does Safeway with their loyalty card. There a persons grocery purchases were used in a civil trial to paint the customer as a alcoholic since they purchased more than the medium amount of alcohol used in this country.

I think we need a law similar to the credit law where everybody tracking your personal information is required to give you a copy of the information they sold and to whom they sold it to on an annual basis.

Good luck getting that passed. The Europeans are leading the way on this issue. Hopefully, they will get it right and we can then pass our own laws.

BTW....Siberia Boy...great screen name....from a country that killed millions of people on less information than is sold by FACEBOOK!!!h

Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 AM

I really don't care as long as my bank accounts and credit cards aren't being shared. It's a free service. Businesses like Facebook aren't working for charity. I would rather they sell the information I put on my profile and feeds than charge me $30 per month. And if you don't like that, then don't join Facebook.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
.......And if you don't like that, then don't join Facebook.
You don't have to join Facebook for them to track you.

https://www.recode.net/2018/4/20/172...ark-zuckerberg

It also does not address the issue of Costco, Safeway, Google, etc. etc. etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You don't have to join Facebook for them to track you.

https://www.recode.net/2018/4/20/172...ark-zuckerberg

It also does not address the issue of Costco, Safeway, Google, etc. etc. etc.
I don't understand why you are so concerned unless you are searching shady things?

Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why you are so concerned unless you are searching shady things?
I suppose you support this proposal to keep people from searching "shady things"?? BTW...Google, Facebook, and Apple all support this proposal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...plained-2018-4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies