Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times

Advertisements

That's exactly why I always thought that in this kind of situation, I would only call the cops after it's been taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
That's exactly why I always thought that in this kind of situation, I would only call the cops after it's been taken care of.
Still one of the most important videos ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Yeah, the lack of protests here or media coverage outside of Denver is really eye-opening. It just proves, once again, two things:

a.) BLM and other leftist groups don't care about white victims of police violence.

b.) White people don't care about victims of police violence at all.
I know a large part of the population wants to see evil killer cops everywhere but this case is complicated. A real perpetrator who was assaulting a family member was justifiably shot by the man. The police hear shots and find this man holding the gun. When he appears to not respond the police are TRAINED to nuteralize a deadly threat. When they hesitate to act in split second life and death decisions people can be killed. This incident is a freak tragedy where that training ended up causing harm.

The officers should not be charged and unless incompetent police technique was used they should also not be fired. The department should however financially compensate this family for their loss. This incident is a terrible tragedy but it is not criminal in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
At this point, I don’t ever expect cops to go to jail no matter what they do.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I know a large part of the population wants to see evil killer cops everywhere but this case is complicated. A real perpetrator who was assaulting a family member was justifiably shot by the man. The police hear shots and find this man holding the gun. When he appears to not respond the police are TRAINED to nuteralize a deadly threat. When they hesitate to act in split second life and death decisions people can be killed. This incident is a freak tragedy where that training ended up causing harm.

The officers should not be charged and unless incompetent police technique was used they should also not be fired. The department should however financially compensate this family for their loss. This incident is a terrible tragedy but it is not criminal in my opinion.
There's nothing complicated about it. It's not premeditated, but criminally negligent.

If you or I heard gunshots and went into someone's house to investigate, then shot the homeowner by mistake, we'd be charged with trespassing, and manslaughter at the very least. However, once you call yourselves "government," you can do things like shoot people by mistake and get away with it.

If I was working on a construction site and my bad decision caused the death of someone else, I would be fired immediately, and may have charges brought up against me.

"The department" is funded by taxpayers, so once again, everyday people will be shelling out for the cops' mistake.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Yeah, the lack of protests here or media coverage outside of Denver is really eye-opening. It just proves, once again, two things:

a.) BLM and other leftist groups don't care about white victims of police violence.

b.) White people don't care about victims of police violence at all.
What are you doing about it?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I saw the body cam video, there were shots fired inside the house when the officers arrived and that they clearly heard. They knew they were dealing with an active shooter and didn't know who it was.

The shooter, albeit using justified deadly force, ignored commands to drop the weapon and walked out of the room with it in his hand. After just hearing two gunshots, the officer acted accordingly, even though mistakenly.

People who carry handguns and ignore police commands should expect to be shot.
Not in their own homes. By your own logic, the cops should expect to be shot too.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What are you doing about it?
Well for one, bringing it to peoples' attention, as the corporate media outside of Denver is just giving it perfunctory coverage. You know as well as I do that if this man had been black it would be the top story nationwide.

To be honest, there's really nothing any of us can do except avoid cops entirely and rely on ourselves alone for defense; stockpile as many weapons as you can afford. As long as their unions are bulletproof and DAs hardly ever charge them it's really the only course of action.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Not in their own homes. By your own logic, the cops should expect to be shot too.
It's already happened recently, and the guy who shot the cop was acquitted.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018...er-sentencing/

Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
There's nothing complicated about it. It's not premeditated, but criminally negligent.

If you or I heard gunshots and went into someone's house to investigate, then shot the homeowner by mistake, we'd be charged with trespassing, and manslaughter at the very least. However, once you call yourselves "government," you can do things like shoot people by mistake and get away with it.

If I was working on a construction site and my bad decision caused the death of someone else, I would be fired immediately, and may have charges brought up against me.

"The department" is funded by taxpayers, so once again, everyday people will be shelling out for the cops' mistake.
The police are different than everyone else. It is their job to respond to emergencies and threats. They heard shots and found a man with a gun who did not respond to their commands. They did what they were trained to do. It is reasonable that they believed this man to be a threat. We cannot have a police force that is afraid to act, a police force like that would be ineffective as a crime fighting force. We should all think about what this world would be like if we did not have the protection of the police. It would be the Wild West every day, criminals would run wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies