Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So if we prohibit alcohol again, how shall we raise your taxes to provide for more prisons to put people in who are caught with alcohol?
You wouldn't have to. Health care costs would go down dramatically. Alcohol-related health care costs in 2010 were $249 billion, according to the CDC.
https://www.cdc.gov/features/costsofdrinking/index.html

It has doubtless gone up since then, especially here in Washington State with the demise of the state-run liquor stores, and no semblance of controls on alcohol abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
South Carolina does not allow liquor sales on Sundays or holidays. Even though I'm not a heavy drinker, I don't like this. Still, I know to go to the local red dot stores on Saturday if I have to.

Incorrect.

It's up to the counties & cities in SC to decide. Sunday beer & wine sales occur around the state. Horry (Myrtle Beach), all major cities, York (suburban Charlotte) and more all allow it.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma's new laws are so much better. It's nice to be able to get real beer cold and wine on Sundays. It's also nice to be able to order certain beers and not have to ask if I'm getting the watered down 3.2% version. Hopefully counties start legalizing Sunday liquor sales soon. The liquor laws were one of the huge pet peeves of mine when I moved back to Oklahoma, especially since I was a much heavier drinker during that era of my life.
As a progressive, you should look up the history on prohibition. Prohibition was a progressive initiative, with key advocates like Susan B. Anthony.
Quote:
“People commonly think of prohibition as a conservative movement—not at all,” historian William Leuchtenburg remarks during the five-hour [Ken Burns] documentary. “It was a movement that was embraced by progressives.”
Yes there was support from religious conservatives, but religious conservatives and progressives have more in common than is commonly realized. You are playing into the hands of the right by taking this tack.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do we allow Big Government to impose these silly restrictions on us? In some states, we even allow government to sell liquor. Other states have government supported monopolies or near monopolies on liquor distribution.
------------

Indiana only lets gas stations sell beer if the beverages are warm. Ohio bans alcohol ads from featuring Santa Claus (and many states stop alcohol sales on Christmas). In Utah, mini liquor bottles are banned, but in Washington, D.C., purchasers must buy six at a time.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/05/r...b2o__bPsXc107M

In 2015, the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis
Reservation in Washington State attempted to open a
distillery on their land, only to be rebuffed. They and
others have tried to pressure Congress to scrap this
outdated and offensive law but, so far, to no avail.4

https://www.rstreet.org/wp-content/u...k-Laws-1-1.pdf
Odd to make people buy MORE!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Actually "big" government would be the feds. These are state laws so that would the "medium" government. One of the few times the feds have actually kept their nose out of the state's business.
Big Government is at any level. It's a term used to describe our bloated over powerful governments at all levels.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:49 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Welcome to Texas where Circle Ks have a wall of single cold beers for the drive home.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Perhaps the brewery industry is better organized, politically. For decades they argued against the high taxes levied on spirits because beer was the worker's drink.
I will say that one thing we have gotten right here in Washington State is that we tax booze out the proverbial wazoo. In 2011 we voted to shut down the state-run liquor stores. A Costco-cofounder had put it on the ballot. But to minimize the objections from Olympia (state capitol) he slapped on a roughly 100% tax on booze, which is still in place to this day.

You buy a $10 bottle of vodka, and after taxes it's more like $20. More states should consider doing this. In fact I'd like to see the tax going even higher, as with cigarettes.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is the WRONG thing to do, when it is in relation to an unconstitutional law or regulation. The American people MUST never obey or comply with unconstitutional laws/regulations.

The civil rights folks did the RIGHT thing with their fight...they knew voting, lobbying, etc would never work to change the system, so they stopped complying, stopped obeying, they became a problem for police, they caused trouble, rioted, etc. THAT is how real change is brought about.
That has worked here in Maryland for the arcane speed limits that are prevalent here. If you go the speed limit here you'd better be driving a tank. Otherwise your rear end will get pushed in sooner or later.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If organized crime hadn't exploited the situation, there'd still be a constitutional amendment against all production and consumption of liquor. I can just imagine the outrage of the boozehounds of today, if the whole country were declared a dry zone. Whatever liquor-control laws exist now, are just minor inconveniences, compared to the time of prohibition.
Look at whats happening today with drugs though...criminal organizations have exploited our drug laws and made gazillions of dollars off the fact these drugs are illegal here, this doesnt seem to be a factor today though, I guess thats because law enforcement is in collusion with them, not so much back in the days of alcohol prohibition.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:33 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Yes there was support from religious conservatives, but religious conservatives and progressives have more in common than is commonly realized. You are playing into the hands of the right by taking this tack.
It all comes down to religious conservatives. All the strictest alcohol laws are in glowing red parts of the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies