Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
PETA is a good - sad - example of what happen when people with an initially good idea go off a cliff.

It's so true - off a cliff they went. I liken them to a hammer. You can build a house or commit a felony with a hammer.

I appreciate them when they become hammers in situations where whales are abandoned in defunct aquariums or animals are forgotten in roadside "zoos" and "attractions" () and other such heinous situations where it's a dire emergency and you need big funds, big connections, and a big mouth... and FAST.

But the attack on domestic pet ownership, the renaming of fish (kittens? wtf? ) to evoke sympathy, the attempt to change everyone to vegan... that's a no-go for me. Those are personal choices to be made individually.

When you go off the rails with these types of 'platforms' for lack of a better word, you not only lose credibility but you galvanize people who are casually cruel to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm not one of those with PETA DS. And to be honest, I don't have a dog in this fight. I know i will be easy to find naysayers to this thread like shooting fish in a barrel, but it is pretty silly what they propose. I think they do a decent job most of the time, but really? Anti animal language?

PETA urges people to stop using ‘anti-animal language’

I could actually see this being the straw that broke the camel's back regarding the perception of PETA to some.

The only reasons anyone wants you to alter language, or change words to be less offensive, is to hide the truth.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
The saddest part about this is that they are being serious. This is just a small glimpse of what the world would be like if radical leftist SJW's were in control. It is very telling when a lot of Hollywood actors, musicians, and other media stars are PETA members or contribute heavily to this organization. Those are the people whose political opinions are supposed to matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only reasons anyone wants you to alter language, or change words to be less offensive, is to hide the truth.
There is a certain political party that does quite a bit of this.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The saddest part about this is that they are being serious. This is just a small glimpse of what the world would be like if radical leftist SJW's were in control. It is very telling when a lot of Hollywood actors, musicians, and other media stars are PETA members or contribute heavily to this organization. Those are the people whose political opinions are supposed to matter.

There is a certain political party that does quite a bit of this.

I don't personally know anyone, liberal or conservative, who likes PETA, at least not that I am aware of.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 AM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't personally know anyone, liberal or conservative, who likes PETA, at least not that I am aware of.
Lots of celebs. Not much imagination needed to guess their political leanings.

https://www.looktothestars.org/charity/peta

Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 AM

99 posts, read 51,930 times
They are classic liberals who take a basic good idea and just destroy it. Treating animals with respect and making it illegal to be cruel and they go over the top and act like a typical liberal tard and go completely crazy.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Lots of celebs. Not much imagination needed to guess their political leanings.

https://www.looktothestars.org/charity/peta
I said "I don't know anyone personally...etc."

I don't personally know any celebs.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTWGA View Post
They are classic liberals who take a basic good idea and just destroy it. Treating animals with respect and making it illegal to be cruel and they go over the top and act like a typical liberal tard and go completely crazy.
It's ridiculous to try to make this a left vs. right issue. I don't know how familiar you are with peoples' posting history on here, but I suspect not very as you are rather new, but several of those who have shared their low opinion of PETA on this thread are liberals.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My goodness. I never heard of the sea kittens movement. SMH That's crazy
I have an aquarium at home. If I start calling our pet fish sea kittens my daughter will end up petting them to death.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:31 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
PETA is a bit like BLM in that they can be well-intentioned but how they implement their intentions is often ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies