Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 05:15 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your son-in-law and wife should not be using any form of day care. One parent should be working, the other parent should be home. If they can’t afford to do that, they made a mistake. Day care is a bad solution for a bad choice.
I doubt 2sleepy was asking you for advice. Easy for someone to pontificate from afar, without knowledge of the other person's situation -- which you do not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Being licensed doesn't inherently make you a better child care provider.
Actually, it does. Licensing guarantees minimum standards in the child care center - better trained teachers, health and safety requirements, family engagement, wraparound services if needed, etc. - all of which contribute to a higher quality experience for the kids and their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 05:23 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I doubt 2sleepy was asking you for advice. Easy for someone to pontificate from afar, without knowledge of the other person's situation -- which you do not have.

Actually, it does. Licensing guarantees minimum standards in the child care center - better trained teachers, health and safety requirements, family engagement, wraparound services if needed, etc. - all of which contribute to a higher quality experience for the kids and their parents.
It guarantees nothing of the sort, as the stories of child abuse and death that have occurred at licensed child care facilities over the years.

I don't write that to claim that licensed child care facilities are inherently dangerous/unsafe/etc.; they are not. But nor are unlicensed child care facilities. I do agree that there are generally better trained teachers, health and safety requirements (but better health and safety requirements don't mean that unlicensed centers are not up to par/standard . . . they just aren't required to meet "x" or "y" standard), but that doesn't mean that unlicensed centers should automatically be shunned or that they are "worse" (what is "worse" or "better" is always subjective, anyway, so I stand by what I wrote).

And, perhaps licensed child care centers contribute to a "higher quality experience" for some kids and some parents, but I would only speak for yourself and not for others in that regard.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Appreciate your position. And that's a problem I'm seeing with more folks, but, if you take the time to get to know your neighbors--and participate in certain activities (whether church, civic, neighborhood, etc. organizations), a lot of what is out there will become more apparent. I've lived in my building for less than 3 years, and know most of my neighbors. I also participate in condo board meetings, etc.

Note, it wouldn't shock me if these things (i.e. cheaper child care options) didn't exist really in higher end neighborhoods, but, again, that's why I brought up the point about looking out for where lower income people shop, etc. If you search around and are properly connected/in-the-know, there are options around.
Thank you for the thoughtful response, it's nice to be able to have an actual discussion here without it disintegrating into name calling, I appreciate it!

Old 12-09-2018, 05:43 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful response, it's nice to be able to have an actual discussion here without it disintegrating into name calling, I appreciate it!
Agreed! I agree that there's a time and a place for partisan bickering, but I wish that more could engage in thoughtful discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
And she handed you your lunch pail in the morning. And if dinner wasn’t on the table when you got home, she’d hear about it. And if the kids disturbed you while you were watching TV in your recliner after a hard day’s work, they’d get the business end of your belt.

Yeah, those were the good ol’ days. Silly career moms... jobs are for dudes.
Sounds pretty darn nice to me.....

Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Miss me with that, I don't need you scolding me about what my family members do. You link an article by a 'freelance writer' who uses vague out of context comments to support her dubious claim uh uh, I'm not buying it. But just for kicks I will play along, let's pretend that this snarky remark of yours: "they made a mistake" is correct. So, what do you think they should do Marc, put the kid up for adoption?
I could cite 1,000 studies that show that day care is terrible for kids, and then you would supply me with 1,000 Huffpo-compliant bull$hit “studies” done in left-wing universities that says kids are happier and more socialized when dumped in day care. What would any of it prove? We have 30-50% kids being born out of wedlock right now, 70% plus in the inner city where day care is ubiquitous. That’s the result of day care that no study reveals. The damage shows up in young adults who make bad decisions, cannot form lasting bonds, cannot plan for the realities of children born before there is money, security, a house, and a plan. And divorce at 50% plus ratios, which then results in beleaguered single parents dumping their kids in yet more Huffpo-Berkeley approved day care centers where kids are abandoned with packs of other kids in similar circumstances. And the beat goes on. At some point, we don’t need a scientific study, we just need to look at the chaos that surrounds us.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 12-09-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 07:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
As for your grandkid, adoption is no longer an option. Maybe you need to step in and provide the day care. Better a family member than an unloving nasty institution or lazy neighbor looking for easy passive income.
oh yes that's a great idea- I will babysit! The only tiny little problem is that they live in San Francisco and I live in Sacramento. Not to mention, it's none of your business and no one asked for your advice.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
oh yes that's a great idea- I will babysit! The only tiny little problem is that they live in San Francisco and I live in Sacramento. Not to mention, it's none of your business and no one asked for your advice.
I guess that’s a no then.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So we should all move to East Bumble, ND; population 250?
No one wants you Californians moving anywhere. You created your mess, you live with it.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:37 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's also a fundamental part of human existence, like eating and not freezing to death.
No it isn't. You HAVE to eat you DO NOT have to have children. Plenty of people choose not to have children without any ill effects.

If you can't afford to care for, feed, cloth, support a child DON'T HAVE ONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies