Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:09 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The teacher is dumb, he should have framed it as a free speech issue in the first place. The state cannot force someone to use a certain word or language.
Yet that is exactly why he was fired. And he works for the goverentment. Paid for by taxes.

Hello Big Brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Many tattooed people have always wished to be . . . identified . . . as . . .

have been given bad or wrong parts?

Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Why didn't he just call the student by his/her name and avoid all this?

Because the prof wanted to make a fuss and so he did. .

Old 12-08-2018, 10:44 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
As a teacher who, in this case, spends at most 40 minutes a day with a student, you have less than no say or insight into what is appropriate and healthy for them.
In addition to educating yourself on the science, or the lack thereof, governing all of this, you'd do well to educate yourself on the responsibilities of public school teachers these days. Just to fill you in, madame, we are called upon all the time to determine or help determine what is "appropriate and healthy" for our students. That includes their mental health.

Regardless, I am offering an opinion above and beyond my rule as teacher and instead as a human being, and it takes a boatload of chutzpah and obnoxiousness to demand that others not offer those opinions.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 PM

I am absolutely shocked at the lack of responses ON TOPIC for this thread.

This teacher should never have been fired. He did not insult the student and called the student by the chosen name.

He was fired for what he did NOT say.

And people are OK with this horrific implications of how free speech is vanishing -- that you as a human can be COMPELLED to speak something against your will???

Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I am absolutely shocked at the lack of responses ON TOPIC for this thread.

This teacher should never have been fired. He did not insult the student and called the student by the chosen name.

He was fired for what he did NOT say.

And people are OK with this horrific implications of how free speech is vanishing -- that you as a human can be COMPELLED to speak something against your will???
Welcome to education, both K-12 and university, in 2018.

I say this often as a public school teacher: if the public knew how bad things really are in public education, they'd be marching to their local schools with pitchforks. This kind of stuff. Classroom and after classroom where little, if any, learning is happening. Criminal, habitual abusers/drug dealers/thieves/assaulters not expelled. Education fads for which millions upon millions are spent when not a scintilla of legitimate evidence exists that these strategies or programs actually work. Incompetent administrators you wouldn't trust to park your car directing a couple hundred adults and a few thousand students. I could go on and on. If you have the means, homeschool your kid or send them to a good private school that will not sacrifice the learning of the majority to the miscreant behavior of the few.

People need to understand this: this particular issue is not about "respect" or "education." It's about power and making people do something. I have had these games attempted to be played upon me and I immediately shot them down. If you do not, they will continue to try to manipulate and control you. At a certain point, it becomes a matter of character and self-respect: are you going to allow yourself to grovel to hold onto a job? Are you going to suppress what you know to be true to avoid having people disapprove of you? Are you going to pretend something you know to be false or damaging isn't so in order to avoid a confrontation? Most go along with the nonsense. A few stand up and declare they will not. That should be saluted, not denigrated.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I don't see a problem with referring to folks by whatever pronouns they prefer. That's just common courtesy in my opinion, and it's no skin off my nose to do so.

Suppose I saw somebody who I thought looked sort of masculine. Would it be okay for me to call them "he" and "him", even if they objected to it and said they were a woman?

Are we supposed to look down people's pants or study their DNA before deciding how we are going to refer to them? I'd rather simply respect their preferences.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Abolish government schools.
On this I 100% agree with you. It's time to do away with government public schools. No one is getting a good education anyway.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
French, huh?

Now, I find that curious because it was my HS French class that taught me the neutral 3rd person pronoun of "one"....such as "that one does".

Old 12-08-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Welcome to education, both K-12 and university, in 2018.

I say this often as a public school teacher: if the public knew how bad things really are in public education, they'd be marching to their local schools with pitchforks. This kind of stuff. Classroom and after classroom where little, if any, learning is happening. Criminal, habitual abusers/drug dealers/thieves/assaulters not expelled. Education fads for which millions upon millions are spent when not a scintilla of legitimate evidence exists that these strategies or programs actually work. Incompetent administrators you wouldn't trust to park your car directing a couple hundred adults and a few thousand students. I could go on and on. If you have the means, homeschool your kid or send them to a good private school that will not sacrifice the learning of the majority to the miscreant behavior of the few.

People need to understand this: this particular issue is not about "respect" or "education." It's about power and making people do something. I have had these games attempted to be played upon me and I immediately shot them down. If you do not, they will continue to try to manipulate and control you. At a certain point, it becomes a matter of character and self-respect: are you going to allow yourself to grovel to hold onto a job? Are you going to suppress what you know to be true to avoid having people disapprove of you? Are you going to pretend something you know to be false or damaging isn't so in order to avoid a confrontation? Most go along with the nonsense. A few stand up and declare they will not. That should be saluted, not denigrated.
Anytime the words diversity and tolerance are used, it is about making people do something. It has nothing to do with 'helping' anybody. It is 100% about controlling behaviors.

If it was about respect? This teacher would never have been fired. He 100% respected the student. Used the correct name. Did not call the student by the pronoun the student did not want.

But that wasn't enough. Compelled speech must be followed or get fired.

We are LOSING freedom of speech. And most people are too pathetically stupid and/or brainwashed to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies