Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 08:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,099,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's a false argument that assumes that building a wall is the sina qua non to protecting our borders. As has been said numerous times, the wall would be ineffective for border security.

Doesn't matter how many times it is said, it is false. Where a good wall exists, it works. You saw it on display early December. Yes a few dozen managed to get over or under areas that hadn't been updated but if not for that wall there wouldn't be 6000 migrants still in Tijuana. They would all be here.

And it isn't like the wall is the only anti-illegal measure that Democrats oppose. They oppose detaining illegals with children, they oppose worksite crackdowns, they oppose vetting asylum claims outside the U.S., they oppose troops on the border, and yes they oppose the e-Verify that so many here call for.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 PM

31,915 posts, read 14,892,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I disagree. What it boils down to is this, democrats put the interests of illegals ahead of those of American citizens. Schumer's comment that there will be no wall only reinforces that rhetoric.
Don't blame democrats, republicans don't want to spend billions on a wall either. Otherwise, the republican controlled congress would have already approved it. It's just not going to happen.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:52 PM

42,759 posts, read 25,996,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
It's hard to do that when California (of course) politicians passed out a law that prohibited private and public CA employers cooperating with ICE
ICE still has access but they need to get a warrant or a subpoena:
The act prohibits an employer from: (1) voluntarily granting an immigration agent access to “nonpublic” areas of the workplace without a judicial warrant; (2) voluntarily giving an immigration agent access to employee records, other than I-9 forms, without a subpoena or court order: (3) reverifying a current employee’s eligibility to work in the United States unless required by federal law. https://outline.com/TgyuW9

But why the obsession with California? States with mandatory e-verify have large carve outs for certain occupations and most of the states largely look the other way and allow employers to continue their practice of hiring illegals. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arely-enforced

I'm in favor of e-verify, but if we have it, it should be enforced and there shouldn't be exceptions for farm labor or construction.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:30 PM

14,114 posts, read 4,500,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
ICE still has access but they need to get a warrant or a subpoena:
The act prohibits an employer from: (1) voluntarily granting an immigration agent access to “nonpublic” areas of the workplace without a judicial warrant; (2) voluntarily giving an immigration agent access to employee records, other than I-9 forms, without a subpoena or court order: (3) reverifying a current employee’s eligibility to work in the United States unless required by federal law. https://outline.com/TgyuW9

But why the obsession with California? States with mandatory e-verify have large carve outs for certain occupations and most of the states largely look the other way and allow employers to continue their practice of hiring illegals. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arely-enforced

I'm in favor of e-verify, but if we have it, it should be enforced and there shouldn't be exceptions for farm labor or construction.
Why obsession with Cali? Well for starter i am a Cali native, born, raised, and grew up in CA for the majority of my life. CA is an unofficial representative for the democrat/liberal just like Texas is the unofficial reps for the republican/conservative.

I believe in amnesty for the 11 million illegals (if they meet qualifications). This amnesty needs to come with a comprehensive border security package (that includes interior immigration enforcement). Does it make any sense to give amnesty to illegals without a strong border security package? we did that in 1986 under Reagan and look where we are now.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:38 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,177,119 times
I don't care how Trumpers try to spin it, the shutdown will be 110% on Trump. I mean, he even has already taken "credit" for it.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 PM

42,759 posts, read 25,996,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Why obsession with Cali? Well for starter i am a Cali native, born, raised, and grew up in CA for the majority of my life. CA is an unofficial representative for the democrat/liberal just like Texas is the unofficial reps for the republican/conservative.

I believe in amnesty for the 11 million illegals (if they meet qualifications). This amnesty needs to come with a comprehensive border security package (that includes interior immigration enforcement). Does it make any sense to give amnesty to illegals without a strong border security package? we did that in 1986 under Reagan and look where we are now.
Remove the magnet (jobs) and you won't have a problem with the border.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:47 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,177,119 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Harsher fines for those that employee illegals. Mandate E-verify for workers. What's so hard as doing this as a start? Is it a be all, end all, NO. But it'd be a start.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 PM

14,114 posts, read 4,500,411 times
Quote:
Yes, that should be one of the items on the border security package check list.

Along with no more sanctuary state, increase budget for DHS, heavy penalty for visa overstay, etc.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:20 PM

1,733 posts, read 942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You know the wall is dead, right? The GOP refused to fund it, and now the Democrats will refuse to fund it. There isn't going to be any wall.

If that's the case, Trump will win in 2020.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 PM

1,733 posts, read 942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Doesn't matter how many times it is said, it is false. Where a good wall exists, it works. You saw it on display early December. Yes a few dozen managed to get over or under areas that hadn't been updated but if not for that wall there wouldn't be 6000 migrants still in Tijuana. They would all be here.

And it isn't like the wall is the only anti-illegal measure that Democrats oppose. They oppose detaining illegals with children, they oppose worksite crackdowns, they oppose vetting asylum claims outside the U.S., they oppose troops on the border, and yes they oppose the e-Verify that so many here call for.

IOW, open borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies