Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Not exactly. The president should be the person in the room that everyone else is trying to impress. Trump should have been the person talking the least. He should have been the person asking probing questions and then sitting back to let others try to convince him. It's all in the optics, and today Pence was inscrutable. That's what a leader with real power looks like. I'm not trying to defend Pence; I'm just pointing out that when it comes to the nonverbals, he won the day. Trump talks too damn much, and it makes him look weak.
Good point. There's an old saying that humans are equipped with two ears and one mouth, and we should use them in the same proportion.

But of course, Trump is a notoriously poor listener who is loathe to take others' advice.

I think Pence just wanted to stay out of the s*** show that he figured would happen.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:29 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
It would be a good start of Trump just got them to agree to make everify mandatory, heavy fines for employers, end all sanctuary laws. We'll figure out the wall later.
I agree, 110%.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:36 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yep, and during that meeting Nancy Pelosi told him he didn't need Dem votes but he insisted that he did. I think the meeting was a setup by Trump to somehow discredit or shame Pelosi and Schumer but he underestimated them and came out of it looking like a fool
If the meeting was a setup by Trump, it shows that he is even more ignorant about civics and political dynamics than I thought - and was really only trying to do a photo op, that blew up in his face.

Trump would not have to meet with Pelosi or Schumer at all if he had votes in his pocket from Ryan and McConnell. Schumer and Pelosi knew that, and were prepared.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:38 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Wonder why this report is not out there?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

So, trump was right again, a portion of the wall has been built...

Quote:
Once funding was provided, DHS began construction of border wall exceptionally quickly, in some locations in as little as nine months from funding to building– a process that commonly takes two years or more in other parts of Government. By the end of FY 2019, DHS expects to have construction completed or underway for more than 120 miles in the areas it’s most needed by the U.S. Border Patrol.
Quote:
  • El Centro Project (2.25 miles): Completed.
  • El Paso Project (20 miles): Completed
  • San Diego Primary Project (14 miles): Completion anticipated in May 2019.
  • El Paso Project (4 miles): Construction started in September.
Oh, and lookie here:

Quote:
How effective is this new border wall? On Sunday when a violent mob of 1,000 people stormed our Southern border, we found the newly constructed portions of the wall to be very effective. In the area of the breach, a group of people tore a hole in the old landing mat fence constructed decades ago and pushed across the border.

Dated today^^^^^ 12 December 2018, which means this happened 9 December 2018....

Old 12-12-2018, 03:41 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
If Trump shuts down the government, an estimated 390,000 federal employees would not receive their final paycheck before Christmas on Friday, December 22nd.

Now that's how you MAGA!

BS....you have no clue, the hours are put in a week prior so they can validate them and get them in the system so they can be paid...

But please, you stated something without a link....provide the link....:r olleyes:
Oh, and BTW all government get paid on the 15th and lastish day of the month....

Oppps.....here is the pay calendar schedule...

https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/GSA_Pa...endar_2018.pdf

^^^This is a PDF file....

Old 12-12-2018, 03:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Here is the reality: Trump invents a problem (be very, very afraid of the rapists and terrorists flooding across the southern border), then invents a fictional solution to solve it (lets build a wall and have Mexico pay for it). Along the way he gets millions of people to buy into this ridiculous diversion, and uses this ruse to help himself get elected.

Only in 21st century America.
OK I disagree. The problem was NOT invented by Trump. Many listeners to conservative talk radio have been talking about this going back at least 14 years. In 2004 I heard a scout leader on our way back from a stop at Cedar Point for our contingent's NOAC 2004 in Iowa State University talk about how Spanish would be the national language by I think 2020. The borders were held with tighter scrutiny since 2001 and I think within the last decade now you need a passport to even cross the border with few questions. Both angles long existed but I think Trump hit a great zietgiest of talking about it. Now I don't agree with him, but he effectively used the fear mongering of border crossings which nobody else has done, especially as effectively as Trump.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Wonder why this report is not out there?

Dated today^^^^^ 12 December 2018, which means this happened 9 December 2018....
"he repeatedly promised would run the length of the U.S.-Mexico border, geological and fiscal impossibilities be damned"

So, using an honest count and compared to "wall" built in 2015/2016, how large a percentage of th 35-45 foot high transparent wall has been built over and above what was already going on?

“You have to be able to see through it,” he explained"

“As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don’t see them—they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It’s over,”

I wasn't aware 60 lb sacks of drugs were a thing - and falling on peoples heads. Wow.

"Currently, 654 miles (1,052 km) of the 1,900-mile (3,058-km)border with Mexico is fenced, with single, double or triple fences. The second line of fencing in San Diego, about 18 feet (5.50 m) tall, has been breached nearly 2,000 times in the last three years"

So, how much Wall - SOLID, as stated, and 35-45 feet high (although he said higher at some times....) has been built? What percentage of that 1,900 miles and how much has Mexico paid in?

Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Schumer at all if he had votes in his pocket from Ryan and McConnell. Schumer and Pelosi knew that, and were prepared.
Maybe Trump wanted to talk them into the Food Stamp Bill which he is going to likely sign this weeK?

Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 PM

17,616 posts, read 6,898,231 times
Trump pretty much owned Nancy and Chuckie. The American people want border security and the Democrats have nothing to offer on that score.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,082,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Trump pretty much owned Nancy and Chuckie..
And yet Trump "owned" the shutdown, saying he'd be "proud to shut it down." Ha!

Pelosi tapped into Trump's ego as a strategy, she knew he couldn't resist to say something loud and stupid, as if he's "sticking it to 'em." What a dope.

If yesterday's ownage of Trump by Pelosi is a sign of things to come with her as House Speaker, we are in for some comedy in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies