Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When my daughter moved from NY to Florida, she took her cat with her on the plane. What was she supposed to do with him? Ship him via UPS? Abandon him? The airline charged her a fee for him but took her to a private room to go through Security with him. He had to fit in a soft carrier under the seat during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time she sat him on her lap. Before she left, she took him to the Vet who gave her a tranquilizer for him for the flight. She said he slept the entire flight. Daughter does not drive on highways so forget her driving 1,000 miles with her cat in the car. While this was practical special circumstance, daughter is also Bi-Polar and get panic attacks being in confined places for long periods of time without a support human, animal, or tranquilizer for herself.

Airlines? What about hotels with animals? When we moved back from Florida, we drove our two cats in the car with us. We had to stay at hotels overnight with the cats, their food, and their litter pan and litter. Much easier with a dog than two cats. Had to plan our drive and find Pet Friendly Hotels along the way. Most of these hotels had a separate section for pets. All I saw were dogs. One hotel did not put us in the pet section room. They said they made the exception for cats who would not be walked around the hallways.

It was very difficult with two cats in carriers and lugging around all their equipment. I don't think my daughter could have managed doing this all alone.
Boy, are you missing the point. We don't care about people paying to stow their pets. We don't care about people who have service dogs. We're complaining about liars who claim they need to bring Fluffy as an emotional support animal.

Having said that, she should have kept him in his carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 07:40 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
In general, pets should be chipped.
Service animals should be registered and certified.
Service animals that need to fly with their owners should be declared at the time of ticket purchase.
On check in, the animal is scanned for the chip, it is compared to the registry.
If they do not match, they don't fly.
That’s a good idea

Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When my daughter moved from NY to Florida, she took her cat with her on the plane. What was she supposed to do with him? Ship him via UPS? Abandon him? The airline charged her a fee for him but took her to a private room to go through Security with him. He had to fit in a soft carrier under the seat during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time she sat him on her lap. Before she left, she took him to the Vet who gave her a tranquilizer for him for the flight. She said he slept the entire flight. Daughter does not drive on highways so forget her driving 1,000 miles with her cat in the car. While this was practical special circumstance, daughter is also Bi-Polar and get panic attacks being in confined places for long periods of time without a support human, animal, or tranquilizer for herself.

Airlines? What about hotels with animals? When we moved back from Florida, we drove our two cats in the car with us. We had to stay at hotels overnight with the cats, their food, and their litter pan and litter. Much easier with a dog than two cats. Had to plan our drive and find Pet Friendly Hotels along the way. Most of these hotels had a separate section for pets. All I saw were dogs. One hotel did not put us in the pet section room. They said they made the exception for cats who would not be walked around the hallways.

It was very difficult with two cats in carriers and lugging around all their equipment. I don't think my daughter could have managed doing this all alone.
Somehow hundreds of thousands of people move each year, with their pets no less. It's called a moving van. Sedated pets travel just fine by movers.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Service animals that need to fly with their owners should be declared at the time of ticket purchase.
On check in, the animal is scanned for the chip, it is compared to the registry.
This would be a great system and I'd like it even more if expanded to stores and restaurants.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Great idea, yes. But, how does that take care of the emotional support animal debacle?

People always gotta mess up a good thing.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Somehow hundreds of thousands of people move each year, with their pets no less. It's called a moving van. Sedated pets travel just fine by movers.
A van is not an option for all moves. Many, if not most, but not all.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:22 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My daughter had no furniture to move. Why hire a moving van? She just packed up all her clothes, and paid extra baggage fees.

Maybe we should not have driven our cats and stayed in hotels either? My husband was 68 years old and could not lift furniture and drive a van full of furniture. You do know that on long distance hauls movers do not move only ONE household's furniture? They pick up and drop off other household's furniture along the way. Do you know how long that takes for a 1,000 mile trip? Leave the cats sedated in our section of that moving van for days without eating or drinking? Here's your DEAD cats!

Old 12-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Great idea, yes. But, how does that take care of the emotional support animal debacle?

People always gotta mess up a good thing.
Very true and that's exactly what people who say they need emotional support animals are doing.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Pay for you damn pet if you want it with you on a flight.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I know. Not everyone can afford their own plane, fuel and maintenance.
Until then, a private company has their own rules and like a ship, the captain is the authoritarian ruler of the ship.
Just like Google, right?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies