Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#7bd8c9ce3b67

Wish I was a remember of this enrichment scheme.

Not only will they be paying for decades and decades of pensions for a majority of these "public servants" when they retire and they will have to find six-figure compensated replacement to do lots of "work" that makes no difference as to how a state and local operates.

What is going to be interesting when a massive number of these "public servants" retire and they are paying massive pensions and cadillac benefits for many decades all the while having to find pricey six-figure compensated replacement to do in many cases jobs of very little value that are unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I know I've heard stories of some New York City employees that really rake it in on overtime and end up making some really obscene salaries doing mundane stuff like the $200,000 subway mechanic and whatnot. I don't begrudge it so much to the blue collar guys who actually work for living but then again, cities go broke for a reason.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:21 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,903 times
Somebody just mentioned how corrupt Mexico is, What would this be? legalized corruption?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Trader Joes pays some store employees 100K - heard it on Freakanomics Radio today.

Six figures. For store-brand grocery managers.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:23 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#7bd8c9ce3b67

Wish I was a remember of this enrichment scheme.

Not only will they be paying for decades and decades of pensions for a majority of these "public servants" when they retire and they will have to find six-figure compensated replacement to do lots of "work" that makes no difference as to how a state and local operates.

What is going to be interesting when a massive number of these "public servants" retire and they are paying massive pensions and cadillac benefits for many decades all the while having to find pricey six-figure compensated replacement to do in many cases jobs of very little value that are unnecessary.
Maybe if you stay with one organization for 30 years, you will, too.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:25 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Trader Joes pays some store employees 100K - heard it on Freakanomics Radio today.

Paid voluntarily by its customers.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:

Grocery managers are far more deserving of six-figures then many unionized paper shufflers and government consultants and administrators.

Does a police chief or person who runs the fire department deserve six-figures? Yes

Do a vast majority of the others? Most likely not and they could pay a third of the compensation package and still have a surplus of applicants.

Being a grocery store manager requires major intelligence, many six-figure government workers just took a bunch of tests at a state indoctrinated university and show up and do nothing productive.

There are some state and local government workers that are needed, but they could likely get by with one-half less employees than they have now and they could pay half the wage in some of the heavily unionized states and still have a surplus of applicants.

Customers have a choice though. The wages are worked in the price of the product and if they raise the price to much to pay for employee wages then price-sensitive customers will look into other options.

I shop alot at Aldi which is known for well-above market wages but still seems reasonable on price, so I will continue to shop there despite the above market wages.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Pensions also don't count as assets in FAFSA calculations, so the children of these public employees receive more aid than a similarly compensated worker saving money as they go.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Paid voluntarily by its customers.
Not at all. Paid voluntarily by the owners and management. A privately owned company.

They could pay 1/2 what they do and staff the stores....you know, like Wal-Mart. They have decided upon a win-win business model.

100K ain't much these days.

Sensational threads like this don't touch upon Military pension costs, those for cops, etc - very often full boat for as little as 20 years in, or at Tru most 30 (that means retired at 50 or 52 since these are usually not higher education positions).

How many regular workers can do that?

100K is probably peanuts these days. I've seen studies that most Federal Employees are actually underpaid - compared to what someone with their degree, education and experience would be paid elsewhere.

If I wanted to "play pretend", I'd ask what a 110K salary would do for a couple with one child in a 20 mile radius of DC (where many have to live)......??? Is it "living large"?

Turns out it get you "comfortable" but you certainly aren't the one living in the McMansions outside of town:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8f0a854e7518

Look around the interweb. A decent intern or paralegal job in DC pays 100K. These Federal Employees are not ditch diggers.

Public sectors jobs - long term ones - pay decently when all benefits, etc. are figured in. Nothing wrong with that...I wouldn't want them qualifying for food stamps like Wally World workers or even some jet pilots.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
100K is probably peanuts these days. I've seen studies that most Federal Employees are actually underpaid - compared to what someone with their degree, education and experience would be paid elsewhere.
The problem is that government jobs rely too much on credentials, seniority, and affirmative action (for minorities and military) and not enough on performance, or whether the job should even exist.

Just because you get a master's degree from GW Univerisity at night doesn't mean you should get a raise. In all likelihood you didn't improve your productivity and you're just checking a bureaucratic box that has the appearance of meritocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies