Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
When meeting with Trump earlier this week, Schumer expressly said that he is for securing the border and US immigration enforcement. He, like me and many Republican legislators, believe the wall is a tremendous waste of money and will not be effective. Trying to paint political rivals as being for "open borders" when no one is advocating for open borders means you are either intentionally lying about others or too dumb not to parrot lies told to you.
Without the Border Wall, there is no effective way to stop migrants from illegally entering the U.S. and disappearing in our society. The problem has been festering for decades.

So yes, opposing the Border Wall means that you are for open borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It still doesn't. Maybe for you, it means that, but that's your view. Very few people are for open borders.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Without the Border Wall, there is no effective way to stop migrants from illegally entering the U.S. and disappearing in our society. The problem has been festering for decades.

I am for using modern technology to police the borders while using market-based incentives to strongly discourage illegal immigration. If that makes me for "open borders" I guess I'm for open borders along with the majority of Americans.

I want to use 21st century solutions not 14th century ones. I would consider myself for secure borders while you are for outdated borders. If you disagree with me you can always dip your quill in ink and send a written parchment to your Senator by pony express to voice your opinion.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
It could be that many of those that voted for Trump want a wall but that doesn't mean most American who voted want a wall.

Heck most American who voted didn't want Trump for President -- lol.

This survey was from a year ago. I purposely chose a year old poll because I didn't want it clouded with the threat of a government shut down to cloud the basic issue.

Most Americans continue to oppose U.S. border wallAs was the case throughout the presidential campaign, more Americans continue to oppose (62%) than favor (35%) building a wall along the entire U.S. border with Mexico. And while President Donald Trump has said the U.S. would make Mexico pay for the wall, the public is broadly skeptical: 70% think the U.S. would ultimately pay for the wall, compared with just 16% who think Mexico would pay for it.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It could be that many of those that voted for Trump want a wall but that doesn't mean most American who voted want a wall.

Heck most American who voted didn't want Trump for President -- lol.

This survey was from a year ago. I purposely chose a year old poll because I didn't want it clouded with the threat of a government shut down to cloud the basic issue.

Most Americans continue to oppose U.S. border wallAs was the case throughout the presidential campaign, more Americans continue to oppose (62%) than favor (35%) building a wall along the entire U.S. border with Mexico. And while President Donald Trump has said the U.S. would make Mexico pay for the wall, the public is broadly skeptical: 70% think the U.S. would ultimately pay for the wall, compared with just 16% who think Mexico would pay for it.
Its really, really sad that 16% of Americans actually believe Mexico will pay for a wall. Like, depressingly sad.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I am for using modern technology to police the borders while using market-based incentives to strongly discourage illegal immigration. If that makes me for "open borders" I guess I'm for open borders along with the majority of Americans.

I want to use 21st century solutions not 14th century ones. I would consider myself for secure borders while you are for outdated borders. If you disagree with me you can always dip your quill in ink and send a written parchment to your Senator by pony express to voice your opinion.
Well said.

Because some don't see the wall as the most EFFECTIVE way of controlling the border doesn't mean those folks think the borders should be open.

So many other steps to be taken that will be as, if not more effective, and not as costly.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Trump ran his campaign on building the Wall, and that is why he got elected.
That's not true. Some people voted for him for that reason and a whole lot of other people voted for him for many other reasons, having nothing to do with a wall being built or not built.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Do Trump supporters understand Donald promised that Mexico would pay for the wall? Did you guys forget that part?

If Trump can get Mexico to pay for the wall, go for it! Build it as high and as far as you can!

But now Trump is threatening to shutdown the US Government if the dems don't agree to give him five billion dollars in U.S. Taxpayer funds, NOT Mexico's money. Big difference between what Trump said then and what he's asking for now.

Yet another broken campaign promise by Donald Trump.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
The migrants who are determined to enter the U.S. illegally are desperate to come here. Everything imaginable has been tried over the last 30 years to prevent people and drugs from crossing the border. And yet, the border situation remains a mess.

This is why I think that a Wall is the only permanent solution to the problem.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The migrants who are determined to enter the U.S. illegally are desperate to come here. Everything imaginable has been tried over the last 30 years to prevent people and drugs from crossing the border. And yet, the border situation remains a mess.

This is why I think that a Wall is the only permanent solution to the problem.
Can you list one of those things imaginable that has been tried that didn't work?

Fix e-verify.

If you make American citizens accountable for providing jobs to those that don't have status -- you make it less likely for said Americans to hire illegal residents.

Just start there.

Track visas. Staying past visa lengths is the biggest factor contributing to illegal residents. Fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies